Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

turbo support bracket delete?

The PITA one that goes over the turbo muffler studs and the engine mount studs that you can't get off w/o taking the %&*%$# turbo off. Can I throw that in the box with the other "just in case" stock stuff? I have headers and I still have the factory muffler support. Sometimes I think the Porsche engineers designed things on these cars just to run up the tab for the dealers.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There is a lot of weight in the turbo, and all that ends up on the j pipe of your expensive headers. Then consider the vibrations that set up in the unsupported hot pipe with the weight of the turbo bouncing around on the end of it. Mine car came without that bracket - prob for same reasons. I went to the trouble to find one. What might help is to slot the holes that go on the back of the engine. That may help getting it on/off. That is what I have done. But supporting the turbo is a worthwhile thing I think.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 07-16-2017, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Alan, I already have it together and I decided to leave it off. Maybe I'll fab one that doesn't require turbo removal. There are times I have visions of burning this car, today was one of them. I did luck out though and the leak on the pulley end was just the IMS cover, a little #2 permatex took care of it.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The problem is you are trying to remove the bracket in two different directions at once - which becomes challenging. Slotting the holes helps - a lot.
And well done on the pulley leak. Big relief.
Regards
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 07-16-2017, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sorry - not the J pipe - that is the W/G. I actually made a small bracket to support the W/G as well - for reasons above. But the turbo does put a lot of strain on your headers, and I do think it is worth supporting - better than welding cracked headers.
Regards
Alan
Old 07-16-2017, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yes, I have a support on the WG. I'm just going to make the one piece factory turbo bracket into a two piece that bolts together so each side can be removed separately w/o having to remove the turbo. Will post pics tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The turbo bracket does 2 things that are very important, it supports a 25lb lump that wants to rip itself out of the engine bay every time you hit a bump, and it locates the turbo properly. J-pipes warp off-spec and aftermarket headers can be a nightmare to line up correctly. Everything is thrown off if the turbo does not properly locate.
To make the bracket easier to remove cut off the welded tube. When you remove the console bolts the bracket will slide off the turbo.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Mine must be different, there is no tube. It's just a bent 3/16 plate with four holes that fit over the turbo studs and three holes that fit over the hanger studs. There is no way it can be removed w/o removing the turbo. But I'll fix it tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted79 View Post
Mine must be different, there is no tube. It's just a bent 3/16 plate with four holes that fit over the turbo studs and three holes that fit over the hanger studs. There is no way it can be removed w/o removing the turbo. But I'll fix it tomorrow.
Same as mine - which can be removed (slotted).
But you may be able to go into business with your new mod. It is a PITA to work with - as you say.
Alan
Old 07-16-2017, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

My car ran for many years without one using Protomotive headers. No problems, but it was always on my mind.

Once I put the gigantic Borg-Warner S366 on, I had to make one. I did drive it a short time without one, but made one ASAP.

A BW S366 weighs 35lbs.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Boosted, I've seen that several people have made simple, effective support brackets that are basically pieces of angle iron welded together - attaches to one turbine stud and to one bolt (or nut, depending on what you have - not THAT "nut") on the engine support yoke. The ones I have seen pics of have been finished out nicely (not some kind of barnyard looking contraption).
Old 07-16-2017, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I picked up one from turbokraft. It's for a k27 however. Maybe they make them for stock turbos? Or just get a k27 and that bracket
'79 930 turbo RoW - Oak Green Metallic - k27-7200 - Kokeln Intercooler - RarlyL8 headers/muffler - Leask WuR - Tial 46mm - Rebel racing sphericals front/rear - ER Monoballs front/rear - ER adjustable spring plates - 29/23mm TBs - Wevo engine mounts - Rebel racing transmission mounts
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 07-16-2017, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I am make the same support of turbo, very simple to do oneself. Turbo recent are lighter, I have a difference of 2kg! (old K27/29 vs PTE 67/66)

Small irrelevant remark, the pipe of oil also near the collector of exhaust is not at all advised.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
There are 3 (common) versions of the OEM turbo bracket. If you have one without the metal tube then you also have nuts on the console instead of bolts. In that case you just have to slot the 2 holes long enough to slide the bracket off the turbo. I'm really not sure why you want to do this though, I consider the bracket to be part of the turbo. The only time I remove the bracket is as one unit along with the turbo.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Fixed. Cut the bracket in half, welded a 3/16 plate to the engine side of bracket and overlapping the turbo side, drilled two holes, welded the nuts to the turbo side so no screwing around with them. Brian, I had to remove the engine hanger so I could see where a leak was coming from, had to remove the turbo to get the bracket off. When I can do something to make it easier to work on I do it. Will I need to remove the hanger again with the engine in the car, who knows.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

^^^

What a great idea!

I've cut, re-positioned and re-welded mine twice since 2007; the next time I have it off, I'm going to copy you, Boosted.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Got tired of the different sized turbine housings and purchased TurboKraft's turbo support bracket. According to Chris, this bracket will support any T3 turbo that mounts the turbo in the same factory location (B&B, Fabspeed, factory, etc.). No more double turbine exhaust gaskets, no more worrying about if it's 3LDZ,7006,7200, Garrett, BW. Thanks Chris!

Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 07-17-2017, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
^^^

What a great idea!

I've cut, re-positioned and re-welded mine twice since 2007; the next time I have it off, I'm going to copy you, Boosted.
Ive had to cut and reweld mine almost every time either from changing turbochagers or from changing headers.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 07-17-2017, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted79 View Post
Thanks Alan, I already have it together and I decided to leave it off. Maybe I'll fab one that doesn't require turbo removal. There are times I have visions of burning this car, today was one of them. I did luck out though and the leak on the pulley end was just the IMS cover, a little #2 permatex took care of it.
So you fixed the oil leak? Nice!
Old 07-17-2017, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Mostly I still have a very small leak, it has to be coming from the #8 nose seal. It's like 10% of what it used to be before I resealed the IMS cover. So it looks like I'll get to use my bracket mod unfortunately. I'm not going to worry about it now, I got a new AEM boost gauge I have to install and try to get my data logger working.

And I really like the way this shifts with the Swepco.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: