Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
914-6Werkshop

You are getting input from people who have built 1, built a couple and built a couple thousand. All that matters is you get yours done and are happy with it.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

I'm coming up on 3 years I think. 1 year of it was waiting for the machine shop to get everything done (was originally told 3 months)… and then not getting everything returned to me and having to purchase the 'lost' engine parts.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

my first engine was my 964. Took approx 3 months from start to finish and running. My day job was 6 days a week, 10 hour days. Not much sleeping and every spare hour was spent reading, learning, cleaning, doing.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

mine has been apart for several years. but it's been because of lack of time mostly due to moving into a different house that needed a lot of work. Also this time around a wanted to do the spare no expense do everything you always wanted but couldn't afford build. So I'll save for a while buy some more parts or get some expensive machine work done. but the last rebuild I did a rebuild I took two weeks off work drove it work the day I went back. but I didn't need any machine work and had most of the parts saved in advance.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 01-08-2020, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
PorscheMoparLiterbike

Man I feel for the OP I just fired my 930 engine a month and a half ago took 2 1/2 years between work family life MBA deck projects other car repairs Time for bourbon etc.Definitely have to plan ahead with logical milestones so youíre not stuck in the middle of an assembly process thatís where you forget what you did and risk mistakes
Old 01-22-2020, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
PorscheMoparLiterbike

Old 01-22-2020, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Because I have working car, busy job, kids and other interests, as do so many others here, my build was about 15 months.
The project has slow periods when not much happened and other times when I got lots done in just a few weeks.

I was given a recommendation by Competition Engineering that I don't let the mag case sit around too long after the machine work before making it a short block. So I made up the short block within weeks of receiving the case back from machine work.
But then it sat, wrapped in plastic, for a ski season.

The advantage (disadvantage?) of taking a long time is that I found a well priced set of unused Mod S cams so I could make it with a bit more performance than originally anticipated.
I probably wouldn't have spent the extra money if I had been building on a faster schedule.

The biggest help to keep the build on a reasonable time line is to enlist the help of a fellow enthusiast.
Last time I built an engine, at least 20 years ago, I was able to get Walt Fricke to give me a hand. He was also helpful this time helping me figure out if my cams were indeed what I was told they would be.
This time there are a lot more resources to help make things go well, Wayne's book for example, and this forum. But it also means a lot more reading / studying to indulge in. Back in the 90's there was Bruce Anderson's book and other info wasn't so easy to come by.
I certainly don't remember so much information about engine sealing, there may not have been as many good products available for the task so it seemed much simpler to follow factory recommendations.

The OP stated that he figures 20% never go back together, regarding that I have no doubt that it could be true.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Well I started this thread, appreciate everyone honestly. My motor is 95% done I just need to do some tiny stuff, electrical connectors, etc. just don’t feel like doing it. It’s cold in Wisconsin...

Rebuilding a motor was very educational, but I wouldn’t do it again. It’s fun the first time. Financially, if you have a good paying job, it’s a financial loss leader if calculate your hours spent...
Old 01-23-2020, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Fun thread to read and reminisce about my rebuild last year. Mine went from engine drop to startup in 5 months and while I had a blast doing it and learning lots...I gotta agree, wouldn’t want to do it again with my current schedule. The amount of time spent stressing over it and wasting time in PET trying to find the right part or Belmetric to make my umpteenth order of stupid bolts or racking my brain in the Pelican store trying to double check my order so I wouldn’t miss something forcing me to pay for yet more shipping on some dumb $7 gasket to driving around a dozen parts stores begging for them to find a certain size of petroleum-safe breather hose to playing email tag between tiny vendors in far away time zones to convincing my wife that the last dozen boxes were the last dozen boxes....what a nightmare. Rewarding, but a total nightmare.

The biggest thing I learned was these motors are pretty straightforward to put together once you have everything you need. Problem is for us hobbyists, we never ever ever never have everything we need. Ever.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Well I started this thread, appreciate everyone honestly. My motor is 95% done I just need to do some tiny stuff, electrical connectors, etc. just donít feel like doing it. Itís cold in Wisconsin...

Rebuilding a motor was very educational, but I wouldnít do it again. Itís fun the first time. Financially, if you have a good paying job, itís a financial loss leader if calculate your hours spent...
That is why it is called a hobby.

But just think, at all the cars and coffees, you can say you did the work.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 01-23-2020, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
I think it took me ~18 months...
Old 01-23-2020, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
That is why it is called a hobby.

But just think, at all the cars and coffees, you can say you did the work.
True...

But now dread and doubt creep in... unlike most hobbies

A small part of me dreads finishing, because then I have to start it...

I have seen one too many posts on here about leaks, smoking, drip-drip-drip, no oil pressure, etc...after a rebuild...

Did everything I could, triple checked, used the best parts... still...
Old 01-24-2020, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Quote:
True...

But now dread and doubt creep in... unlike most hobbies

A small part of me dreads finishing, because then I have to start it...

I have seen one too many posts on here about leaks, smoking, drip-drip-drip, no oil pressure, etc...after a rebuild...

Did everything I could, triple checked, used the best parts... still...
That's part of the fun. Yea, there are the teething issues. I had a tensioner fail and an oil leak, not to mention getting the carbs right.

But now when I drive it it's a dream come true.

Third quickest at last years auto cross and people are taking selfies by my car at the cars and coffee.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage

Last edited by Trackrash; 01-24-2020 at 05:11 PM..
Old 01-24-2020, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Rebuild, slowly!

Well, I am at 7 years and finally making some progress. Checked and torqued all chain cover "pins" today,

almost forgot...wish me luck!
Old 01-26-2020, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Puny Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
I just looked up the dates on the pics I took during my last build. Two years.

Then again, I still had a great running motor in my car, so there was no rush. Plus I did EVERYTHING myself. No machine work was required since I started with an SC core. But, I did all the cleaning, assembly, measurements, painting sheet metal, zinc plating misc hardware, and even did my own valve job. Tons more details to attend to as well. Worth the time and effort.
You will notice that I used JE pistons, which needed to be checked for fit, CR, deck height, and clearances.
I did not do a build thread, you are welcome. But I did document the build, here are a couple of shots.

Basically the same experience on a very similar build, likely longer just because of the parts collection time and I'm not counting stuff like the custom 901 (914) transmission conversion flywheel/clutch or twin plug machining, etc.
The actual engine build time 60-70 hours sounds about right. For a first time builder maybe 80-100 hours.

Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.

Last edited by Mark Henry; 01-27-2020 at 12:16 PM..
Old 01-27-2020, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
It all depends on your motivation........

Quote:
Well I started this thread, appreciate everyone honestly. My motor is 95% done I just need to do some tiny stuff, electrical connectors, etc. just donít feel like doing it. Itís cold in Wisconsin...

Rebuilding a motor was very educational, but I wouldnít do it again. Itís fun the first time. Financially, if you have a good paying job, itís a financial loss leader if calculate your hours spent...

I personally know two medical doctors who are interested in Engine Rebuilding. They could easily issue a check and have their cars done by the professional shops. Yet, they are willing to spend many hours away from their practices and get grease on their hands. Some people are driven and motivated to learn new things in their life.

Engine Rebuilding to me is a pastime and some sort of therapy. I recently purchased two (2) complete engines in spite of having another two (2) motors in the garage. So I will have something to tinker in my basement in the coming years. I just turned 77 years old a few days ago.

Tony
Old 01-27-2020, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyt911sc View Post
I personally know two medical doctors who are interested in Engine Rebuilding. They could easily issue a check and have their cars done by the professional shops. Yet, they are willing to spend many hours away from their practices and get grease on their hands. Some people are driven and motivated to learn new things in their life.

Engine Rebuilding to me is a pastime and some sort of therapy. I recently purchased two (2) complete engines in spite of having another two (2) motors in the garage. So I will have something to tinker in my basement in the coming years. I just turned 77 years old a few days ago.

Tony
Iím a doc... I get it...

Bo
Old 01-27-2020, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
'79. 3 months @ 9-5 daily, 5 days a week for engine. Working out of friend's shop---have all Porsche tools, lifts, press, washers, blaster, etc. on hand. Most time goes to inspecting, cleaning, inspecting, measuring, documenting, refinishing parts. Assembly time is next. Least time goes to disassembly. Personal rebuild = no-rush pace.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver/Black/Anthracite 930s.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyt911sc View Post

Tony
Happy Birthday Tony! and thanks again for sharing your passion with that engine-building class; was a great experience.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
I started over Thanksgiving break and am finishing up now.

Probably 20 total days.

First time doing it.

Old 02-08-2020, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: