Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Walt, where did you get the oil cooler blockoff plate that's on the engine on the ground? I might buy one instead of wasting a whole day at the mill and lathe, fabricating a plate and fittings. Of course, that goes against most racer's mantra of "why should I spend money on that when I can waste a week at the mill and lathe making one??"

Old 06-30-2020, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
The last head job I did was to rebuild the heads, clean the cam carriers and rebuild the rockers and assemble everything so it was ready to install. Actually came out really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarr View Post
... Actually came out really nice.

They sure did...

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 06-30-2020, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Dan - can you TIG? (I can't, so had it done). Take a leaking oil cooler (value$0), cut off the cooler part (no special tools needed), weld on a plate to take the in and out bungs far enough apart to use wrenches on the hose ends, and bolt in place.

I may have done this before the 993s arrived, and I didn't know the 964s had a filter housing (but its angle limited filter choices). What I did know about was Porsche's trick early racing filter with all those stacked disks (wonder how efficient those are, esp compared with more standard filters). The car was cooled by two Continental aircraft coolers in parallel up front (nowadays two 964 coolers after an accident dinged one of the acft ones and the local aircraft junk yard didn't have a replacement on the shelf), so the engine cooling was and is superfluous. Race cars don't sit idling and inching forward in traffic much.

All things being equal, now I'd buy, if starting out, the 993 system. Removing the filter from its housing is a separate step, even though only one or two nuts, and something extra to get in the way of pulling/installing the engine. Remoteness (by not much)doesn't seem to be a virtue in itself. Or, if I had a lathe and mill, fabricate something, tap the case maybe, consider welding bungs to the case.

But these have worked perfectly.

Old 06-30-2020, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: