Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Could someone please post contact info for Bell?

Thanks

85 930
Old 05-23-2005, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #221 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

www.bellintercoolers.com

Talk to Gerhard
Old 05-23-2005, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #222 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Don.

85 930
Old 05-23-2005, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #223 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally posted by strokher racing
there pricing sure is nice. What are the end tanks made from?
Aluminum

Let me be clear on the price. I sent Gerhard (Bell) the drawing. We talked about the pro's and con's. All I wanted was an IC with end tanks and two nipples (up from turbo, and out to TB with a 90 degree tight radius). I knew that since this was going to be a custom IC, I would have to place it on the engine and make the mounting points. Therefore, this was a fairly simple construction for Bell. A big portion of the total time spent was fabricating the mounts (which I did).

I would bet Marco would do the same, but at the time I needed the IC, he was too busy to do just the basics.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #224 (permalink)

Gerhard is the man. No doubt. He walked me through the design of my intercooler and I should've gotten him to build my tanks like Don did. Instead I just bought the core.

But he is great to talk to. Their customer service is awesome.

Brian
My Track Videos
TEC3 EFI Conversion on 1983 930
Old 05-23-2005, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #225 (permalink)

Well, I just got done retesting the intake and it does appear I had a small leak on the flow bench when I switched from one half of the manifold to the other.

I am now getting identical readings between runner #2 and #5. For that reason I can now say that all my port whittling is officially complete.

This week I hope to have the time to press in my new valve guides and cut my valve seats.

After that, once I shell out another $1K for some head studs and flame rings the engine should be ready for assembly.

Then another $2500 for the turbo, intercooler, fuel injectors, megasquirt and some miscellaneous items should give me what I need to put it back in the car.

I may also have to spend another $350 for a shift ring and a gear dog for the tranny but I will cross that bridge once the engine is nearly complete.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #226 (permalink)

Banned

MEGASQUIRT why did you cheep out on the electronics? Why not tec3 or something better? I understand that systems that only use a map sensor sometimes have problems with low vacuum that results from high overlap cams.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #227 (permalink)

MSII. 12X12 fuel and spark maps will do me just fine.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #228 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by snowman
MEGASQUIRT why did you cheep out on the electronics? Why not tec3 or something better? I understand that systems that only use a map sensor sometimes have problems with low vacuum that results from high overlap cams.
Tec3 uses "only" MAP-sensor just like "lowly" MSII. Is Rolex showing better time than Swatch? Tec3 has lot's of features but most of them aren't really needed.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #229 (permalink)

Plus I like the fact that MS is open source and open architecture. Thats a big selling point to an engineer and programmer like myself.

It will all tie in rather nicely with a flat panel instrumentation project I am working on for the 930 so I can add a 'glass cockpit' to complement my nice big VDO gauges.

Here is a screen shot of one of my virtual gauges. All I have left to work on is the code required to cluster several together and to sample the appropriate data via the serial ports.

Since I am planning on feeding the sound card into the stereo's aux channel for use as an MP3 player I have also set up acoustic warnings for when yellow and red lines are exceeded.

Old 05-31-2005, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #230 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by beepbeep
Tec3 uses "only" MAP-sensor just like "lowly" MSII. Is Rolex showing better time than Swatch? Tec3 has lot's of features but most of them aren't really needed.
You mean Motec not Rolex, the tec 3 is a swatch, MSII is a Heathkit (pronounced griefkit) without the good instruction books. I have an MSEE and 35 years experience and I would predict that even someone like me will have difficulties that in the end would make it cheeper to just buy something that is known to work. In other words I can put in the same ammount of time and effort doing what I get paid for and buy 3 tec 3's or buy a MSII and have a wonderful time reinventing some one elses wheel.

Last edited by snowman; 05-31-2005 at 05:26 PM..
Old 05-31-2005, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #231 (permalink)

I believe there are thousands of MS users out there who don't even have an EE who would disagree with your opinion.

We AEs are probably better trained than you EEs anways.

I have reviewed the MS and MSII docs and schematics and it all looks well designed and straighforward.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #232 (permalink)
Banned

My opinion is based on my actual EXPERIENCE, not any analysis as stuff like this ALWAYS look good on paper and in the propaganda.

My post is also tempered by feedback I have received from several suppliers of like hardware and what their customers have told them.

By the way I really do support people like the ones producing MSII, I admire their courage and success in a very challenging endevor. They are on their way in making a very revolutionary product that they will eventually be selling as a complete unit, probably making millions doing so. But nothings free, so consequently anyone trying so save a buck will probably be doing so at the expense fo their time. But if their time is worth nothing, then its a good investment, otherwise for someone like me its a bad financial decision. But if its your hobby thats another story. By the way once someone starts working fulltime at something say electronics or auto or anything, its no longer a hobby, its work. It might still be fun, but its fun work as opposed to a fun hobby. The basic problem is that life is to short, there is to little time in the day to do everything you want to do, so you make choices, work 10 minutes and drive 30 minutes or work 40 minutes and loose the time to drive.

TO summerize this long line of bs what I do now is buy the best, most suitable product on the market, and then use my talent to modify it to work better, not to reinvent what it already does. OR even worse, in the case of something like the MSII wasting a lot of time making it do what it should do to begin with.

Last edited by snowman; 05-31-2005 at 08:46 PM..
Old 05-31-2005, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #233 (permalink)

Quote:
You mean Motec not Rolex, the tec 3 is a swatch, MSII is a Heathkit (pronounced griefkit) without the good instruction books. I have an MSEE and 35 years experience and I would predict that even someone like me will have difficulties that in the end would make it cheeper to just buy something that is known to work. In other words I can put in the same ammount of time and effort doing what I get paid for and buy 3 tec 3's or buy a MSII and have a wonderful time reinventing some one elses wheel.
Motec, Tec, SDS, MSII...they are all speed/density systems that use MAP. They all open and close injectors and fire plugs according to pre-programmed tables. Some of them have fancy extra features and nice interfaces but in reality you mostly use forementioned two things. That's all.

If you have MSEE, I'm pretty sure you won't have problems with assembling MSII at all. At least as long as you have basic knowledge of digital circuitry and programming.

Quote:

My opinion is based on my actual EXPERIENCE, not any analysis as stuff like this ALWAYS look good on paper and in the propaganda.
Which brand(s) of aftermarket EFI systems have you installed and what were your expiriences?

Last edited by beepbeep; 06-01-2005 at 08:44 AM..
Old 06-01-2005, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #234 (permalink)

Hey 350HP930:

What did you develop your gauges with? Which language? .Net?

If so, care to share any of the code? I want to write a program to loop through my TEC3 logged data in real time and output the data to a screen that I can use to view various gauges showing temp, tach, other sensor inputs, etc.

ALSO, I just finished re-assembling and installing my 930 engine after my missed-shift. We started the re-assembly on Tuesday the 17th of May, and I was driving the car on Monday May 30th. 13 days!!!! All done by me and my friend Chad after work and on the weekend of May 21-22.

Brian
My Track Videos
Old 06-01-2005, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #235 (permalink)

Hey Brian,

Its just written in visual basic. The code is still pretty rough and primative since I only have a few hours into it but I am happy to share.

Just PM me your e-mail address and I will send you the project files.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #236 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally posted by 350HP930
Plus I like the fact that MS is open source and open architecture. Thats a big selling point to an engineer and programmer like myself.

It will all tie in rather nicely with a flat panel instrumentation project I am working on for the 930 so I can add a 'glass cockpit' to complement my nice big VDO gauges.

Here is a screen shot of one of my virtual gauges. All I have left to work on is the code required to cluster several together and to sample the appropriate data via the serial ports.

Since I am planning on feeding the sound card into the stereo's aux channel for use as an MP3 player I have also set up acoustic warnings for when yellow and red lines are exceeded.

OMG - you are tooooooo much!!

Now I can't wait till your done...I
Old 06-02-2005, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #237 (permalink)

LOL, I already have a new 14" flat panel LCD I picked up just for this purpose. I need to build a bracket in order to mount it just to the upper right of the stereo.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #238 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I have an MSEE and 35 years experience and I would predict that even someone like me will have difficulties that in the end would make it cheeper to just buy something that is known to work.
Maybe someone needs to get PhD.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #239 (permalink)

350HP930:

I tried PM'ing you but your box was full.
briankeithsmith@ctc.net - send it to me ! Thanks

Brian

My Track Videos
Old 06-08-2005, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #240 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: