Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Excellent work taking the rebuild to a higher level of quality. It is coming together nicely.

I am presently designing a turbo engine based on a 3.2. Engine is back from machine shop.

Regards,

Old 06-16-2005, 11:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #241 (permalink)

Re: Re: Rebuilding My 930

Quote:
Originally posted by 5axis
This is the only thing on the list I wonder about. Why not ARP or raceware? I can't see building a turbo motor and not crossing the t's and dotting the i's.
I am rebuilding RUF 3.4 BTR out of a Gemballa Version III. RUF supplied this motor with 5 Speed etc in 84 to Gemballa. The engine has about 20K Miles, but was sitting for a while. I just spoke with RUF in Germany and they recommend 993 Turbo studs.
Michael
Old 06-23-2005, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #242 (permalink)

Just in case anyone missed it, I have become a recent convert to using steel studs instead of the OEM snap happy alloy.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #243 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Re: Re: Re: Rebuilding My 930

Quote:
Originally posted by 930Gemballa
I am rebuilding RUF 3.4 BTR out of a Gemballa Version III. RUF supplied this motor with 5 Speed etc in 84 to Gemballa. The engine has about 20K Miles, but was sitting for a while. I just spoke with RUF in Germany and they recommend 993 Turbo studs.
Michael
Take a look at :

http://www.brookstonefarms.com/930rebuild.htm

This is why I do not recommend 993 studs - they let heads lift with 1 bar of boost.
Rgds
Old 06-24-2005, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #244 (permalink)
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally posted by 350HP930
It will all tie in rather nicely with a flat panel instrumentation project I am working on for the 930 so I can add a 'glass cockpit' to complement my nice big VDO gauges.
Oh man, I have nothing intelligent or knowledgable to say about motors. But I had to comment that those virtual gauges are absolutely OFF THE CHARTS! Man, if you can get an LCD dashboard working that ties in to your mp3's cranking through the stereo, then that would be the craziest, slickest DIY project I've ever seen on this BBS...

Last edited by Wrecked944; 06-26-2005 at 05:25 PM..
Old 06-26-2005, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #245 (permalink)

LOL, thank you for the compliment Janus but I have a long way to go to completion on many fronts. Once I get my current employment woes straightned out I will be back on track but for now its time to focus on keeping money in the bank instead of blowing it all on my 930, for now at least.

Employment: For Love Or Money
Old 06-27-2005, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #246 (permalink)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rebuilding My 930

Quote:
Originally posted by DonE
Take a look at :

http://www.brookstonefarms.com/930rebuild.htm

This is why I do not recommend 993 studs - they let heads lift with 1 bar of boost.
Rgds
Don,

Thank you, I will follow your advice. ARP has a backlog, but there are some on ebay. I will get a set right away.
I was following your progress and must say absolutely stunning what you did. As I mentioned I am rebuilding my 3.4BTR, but I am going to use the colors you used. Have fun and thanks again,

Regards,
Michael
Old 06-28-2005, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #247 (permalink)
Banned

Excellent Thread! Great Ideas Too! I'm in the tear down phase

Wonderful Thread! Got some decent tips and will post my progess on my 82 930!
Old 06-29-2005, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #248 (permalink)
Crusty Conservative

Garage
350hp930,
Best thread on Pelican. Quality, content, tone, persistence all exceed my expectations of a tech web board thread, by a long way. Thanks!!

69 911 T Targa, 2.4E w/carbs (1985-2001)
70 911 S Coupe, 2nd owner (1989- 2015)
73 911 T Targa, 3.2 Motronic (2001- )
Old 07-01-2005, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #249 (permalink)

Thank you for the compliment. I'm just a little sad that my project is once again on hiatus until I settle into my new job.

I need to check the thread views on some of the other boards but this thread is certainly becoming one of the most viewed on the entire PPBBS.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #250 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

Thanks for all the info and pics. VERY helpful.
'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 07-04-2005, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #251 (permalink)
Banned

On vacation so I have somwhat delayed responses. Re the MS II it is typical of ALL such systems in its stage of development. Boils down to "You get what you pay for". After you have done countless developments as I have you eventually get to the point you can look at a similar product and know where its at. Same for any professional in most any profession. If you don't beleive that you haven't lived long enough yet. Just look at the pros and what they use. Its not just money, its whats best, afterall thats all they care about. That and winning. If something was JUST AS GOOD at less money they would use it. But they don't, therefore there must be something of value in the big buck systems. And there is, its more refined, capable, and reliable. To get the same overall performance out of a MS II you have to put in the development time (MONEY) to make it so.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #252 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by snowman
On vacation so I have somwhat delayed responses. Re the MS II it is typical of ALL such systems in its stage of development. Boils down to "You get what you pay for". After you have done countless developments as I have you eventually get to the point you can look at a similar product and know where its at. Same for any professional in most any profession. If you don't beleive that you haven't lived long enough yet. Just look at the pros and what they use. Its not just money, its whats best, afterall thats all they care about. That and winning. If something was JUST AS GOOD at less money they would use it. But they don't, therefore there must be something of value in the big buck systems. And there is, its more refined, capable, and reliable. To get the same overall performance out of a MS II you have to put in the development time (MONEY) to make it so.
Here we go again.

I'll post my question second time:

Quote:
Originally posted by beepbeep
Which brand(s) of aftermarket EFI systems have you installed and what were your expiriences?
So, how many aftermarket EFI systems have you installed/mapped/tuned and what kind of problems did you run into?? And yes please, go technical on me

Frankly, I believe you never ever installed any and just vent your personal opinions based on what you read on the internet. You are clogging otherwise very interesting/educative thread with your ramblings.

Last edited by beepbeep; 07-12-2005 at 05:42 AM..
Old 07-12-2005, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #253 (permalink)

Garage
hahahaha!

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 07-17-2005, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #254 (permalink)
Wer bremst verliert

There goes the tone....
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 07-18-2005, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #255 (permalink)

Always a blast to read this thread.

Those digital displays are similar to the ones in the T-38C that I fly at work. I'll see if I can find a picture.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 07-18-2005, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #256 (permalink)

When writing the code to generate the gauges I did my best to mimick the style of the factory VDO gauges. It should look pretty good in full screen mode with several of them clustered together.

Once I get settled into the new job and start saving up some money again it will be time to put my giant automotive jigsaw puzzle back together.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #257 (permalink)

You could also wire some buttons up on either side of the screen to allow you to select options or to cycle the visable guages or to display peak readings etc.
They could act like keyboard keys.
'10 Forester X Special Edition
Old 07-18-2005, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #258 (permalink)

For even better than that I could upgrade to a touch screen LCD and program in some soft touch functionality. I picked up my 14" screen on sale for right around $200 so I have skipped the additional functionality for the sake of keeping costs down. Touch screen LCD panels arn't cheap but a small trackball is.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #259 (permalink)

Yeah, cost is why i didn't sugest one of those.. i was thinking that you could get some nice buttons and wire them to a stripped out old keyboard and then arrange them as 4 buttons down each side (like on an ATM).
Then display little icons on the screen next to each active button to indicate what it does.
Maybe you could wire one button to the crtl and alt and del keys for easy re-booting for when windows locks up.. just kidding (maybe).

'10 Forester X Special Edition
Old 07-18-2005, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #260 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: