Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
MBruns for President

Garage
a little thumb mouse!

Old 07-18-2005, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #261 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

When do you think you will be finished??
Old 07-18-2005, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #262 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by DonE
When do you think you will be finished??
This is why I didn't start a thread like this. I figured everyone would give me crap for taking forever.

My plan is to wait until I have a month to go and then pull out 18 months worth a pictures and act like I hauled butt through it. Not really, I haven't taken enough pics.

Don, how's your re-rebuild going?
Old 07-18-2005, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #263 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Just dropped the pistons, heads and case at JB Racing today. I'll have all the parts back in about 3 weeks. I should have the EBS parts in a couple of days. The weather sucks here in Atlanta (hot plus extreme humidity - temp=hum), so I am not loosing out too much (no AC).

When are you going to be done??
Old 07-18-2005, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #264 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
Quote:
Just dropped the pistons, heads and case at JB Racing today. I'll have all the parts back in about 3 weeks. I should have the EBS parts in a couple of days. The weather sucks here in Atlanta (hot plus extreme humidity - temp=hum), so I am not loosing out too much (no AC).

JB in Orlando?
Old 07-18-2005, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #265 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Taveres, actually. Right next to Alex Job Racing....
Old 07-18-2005, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #266 (permalink)

Thanks for posting your rebuild. Do you work for Dave White
Old 07-18-2005, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #267 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

No - I am a transportation consultant in Atlanta
Old 07-19-2005, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #268 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

I'm shooting for 3 months, but my original plan was 3 months and that was 13 months ago. I procrastinate and get side tracked way too much. I've got the engine together minus shroud, fan, and sheet metal. I've got the rear suspension rebuilt, the new fuel lines run, the engine compartment and oil tank painted, and I'm finishing up the rear brakes. I still have to buy and set up the EFI and build the intercooler.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #269 (permalink)

I guess I'm a madman when I start assembling an engine. Normally I try to get all of my parts sitting there ready to go, then we start assembling. Last time we did it in this order:
1. 1st night - measured
2. 2nd night - assembled the case
3. 3rd night - pistons/cylinders
4. 1 full day bolting on heads, installing cam housings/rockers
5. 1 night to set the cams and close it all up
normally 5 or 6 hours after that we have it ready to go in the car with the tranny mated to it.

So we've got it down to a 4 days worth process if you have everything sitting there waiting cleaned and ready to go. With 2 sets of hands moving on the car at some points along the way, we did the last rebuild in 28 hours over 4 days and had it back in the car and running on the 5th day!

We must be crazy, or either we've gotten it down to a process....

Brian
My Track Videos
TEC3 EFI Conversion on 1983 930
Old 07-19-2005, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #270 (permalink)

Garage
brian you are hardcore

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 07-19-2005, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #271 (permalink)
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy964
a little thumb mouse!
Or voice recognition???

DRIVER: "Turbo!"
930: "Yes, Tony, what can I do for you?"
DRIVER: "Show me my current cylinder head temperature."
930: "Yes, Tony, anything you say."
DRIVER: "Looks like my temps are well within spec and have some available head room. Turbo, raise the current boost another .1 bar."
930: "Yes, Tony, boost is now .1 bar higher. Would you like to see a menu of recording options for your Tivo tonight or perhaps an update on the waiting times for all of your favorite restaurants within a five mile radius?"

Last edited by Wrecked944; 07-19-2005 at 02:11 PM..
Old 07-19-2005, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #272 (permalink)

LOL, I dunno if the voice recognition software out there could ever work with all the background noise the 930 will generate.

Quote:
Originally posted by klein930
Thanks for posting your rebuild. Do you work for Dave White
Dave White tried to recruit me to be his engine and tranny guy back when I was working as a machinist but I ended up turning him down.

It was tempting but I realized that my future lied elsewhere.

Last edited by 350HP930; 07-19-2005 at 02:15 PM..
Old 07-19-2005, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #273 (permalink)

For what it's worth, here is dyno paper for Mercedes 2.5 16v that has been "liberated" from CIS and converted to EFI together with Forde EDIS ignition. Everything else was kept the same...even CIS housing was kept, but without airflow flapper.

Dyno before and after:

Car:
Old 07-20-2005, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #274 (permalink)
Banned

Let the world know what you think after you finish. Re the buy vs build or buy a known system vs the MS system. I have already stated my position and the likely result.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #275 (permalink)

Quote:
Let the world know what you think after you finish. Re the buy vs build or buy a known system vs the MS system. I have already stated my position and the likely result.
Yeah, but you still haven't answered Beepbeep's question...

ianc

"I will tell you there is a big difference between driving money and driving blood, sweat and tears." - PorscheGuy79
Old 08-14-2005, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #276 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by snowman
You probably missed it, but there is a Pelican member (TBitz) who developed and currently sells a MegaSquirt based CIS-to-EFI kit for SC cars. Installed user base is growing steadily and users post their expiriences on 911 Tech forum. So long, I haven't seen any negative opinions.

Some of them dynoed cars for and after as well.

While MS is somewhat finicky to tune, there is lot's of help online and once tuned, it's surprizingly stable.

Considering knowledge that 350HP930 displayed troughout this thread, I'm quite confident that installation and programming of MS won't be biggest obstacle in his project.

Last edited by beepbeep; 08-16-2005 at 03:37 PM..
Old 08-15-2005, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #277 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ianc
Yeah, but you still haven't answered Beepbeep's question...

ianc
Well the latest 2 were Electromotive systems. They work well. Others I have long forgotten but there were several and they were very unreliable.

My point is and it fits almost all electronic things of which I am very very familiar as I have devoted my life to electronics, I live breathe. sleep with, dream about, live on electronics. I have a MSEE and enough experience for several PHDs in electronics. I make a huge income from electronics, in fact all of my income. ALL electronic devices go thru the same development stages, ALL of them. The stages are all almost identical. The ammount of work to finish the next stage are almost all the same. That said I know which stage the MS systems are at and consequently the ammount of work required to complete the next stage. If you are not going to make a living selling the stuff, there is no justification for puitting in the ammount of work required to make a MS system work properly at this time, unless your time is worthless. If you put several hundered hours into something that others will benefit from and you will be compensated for, its one thing, but to do so for one system, just for you, and most of the work will most likely be duplicated by others and one of them will eventually sell it to anyone, well its just not worth it. LIFE IS JUST TO SHORT TO DO EVERYTHING YOURSELF!!! You have to pick the parts that you cannot get anywhere else and do them well, thats what makes the world go forward.

Our host has devoted his LIFE to the automotive parts business, most of up do not choose to do so, consequently we do not get into the details as much as he does, the same goes for many of the parts. DO you want to devote your life to automotive ignition systems? Or would you just choose to buy one that works?

Last edited by snowman; 08-15-2005 at 06:08 PM..
Old 08-15-2005, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #278 (permalink)
Wer bremst verliert

Hi Jack.

I like fiddling with things, and my time's not worthless. I'm working on my MS implementation because I like it.

John
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 08-15-2005, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #279 (permalink)

Quote:
I like fiddling with things, and my time's not worthless. I'm working on my MS implementation because I like it.
True enough. If I didn't like fiddling with my own car, I'd farm the work out, but I do enjoy it; particularly that sense of satisfaction when you dialed something in properly by yourself.

I Suspect 350 will get that same feeling by setting up his own maps. Why pay someone else to do something when you can do it for yourself? Workmanship is probably better, you learn something, and you're probably happier in the long run.

ianc

"I will tell you there is a big difference between driving money and driving blood, sweat and tears." - PorscheGuy79
Old 08-15-2005, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #280 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: