Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
GAFB

Snap...crackle...pop...ROAR!!

OK, so today I turned the key! And turned it, and turned it, and turned it. After investigating, I discovered that my injectors had pressure and my ignition was sparking correctly, but due to a lack of extra "oomph" from the cold start mechanism (isn't running, don't know why yet), the engine couldn't start. I shot gasoline straight into the intakes with a spray bottle while cranking, and the car fired right up. I discontinued use of the spray bottle, and the engine continued running strong on its own, firing on all six. The sport exhaust is insane. This engine really has an amazing sound - it snarls, growls, and roars. No tinny or raspy sounds at all; its all throat.

So far the only oil leak appears to be from a valve cover. Score!

Needless to say, I'm bouncing off the walls with happiness today. I haven't had a 'running' Porsche 911 since... Jan 2000??? Wow, 4 years. So a shoutout to:

-Pelican forums and the ever-positive Pelicaners
-Dempsey for his engine book
-Tyson Schmidt and John Luetjen for helping to 'design' this engine
-My long-suffering wife
-Tim (aka wrench monkey)

Here's a pic:

Nice eh??

Here's also a photo of the first oil change. Any thoughts, comments, etc? It shimmered with metallic flakes.

Old 11-28-2003, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Congrats Dave! There's truly no better sense of accomplishment,no matter how long it takes! I bet it sounded great
Old 11-28-2003, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

cam lube maybe?
Old 11-28-2003, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Great news there, Dave! Hope those flakes are not of any consequence.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

The sound of that engine is great. I got a phone call yesterday afternoon with an unmistakable purr mixed with a loud smoothness that only a sport muffler can sing.

Congrats on getting that beast to roar! I guess Its about time to do the same.

Jamie
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 11-29-2003, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Good job on the rebuild. I bet the roar is satisfying, I thought adjusting my valves was pretty cool!!
Old 11-29-2003, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

My oil looked the same for the first two times (2nd, not as bad as the first). I also think it was all the assembly lube coming off. After 4 oil changes, it now looks completely normal.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
No Expert

Garage
That oil looks so bad, you'll need to start over on the rebuild... just kidding. I'll bet it smells funny too. That's normal. It's a great feeling, isn't it... That exhaust looks great, I'm sure it sound great too.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Alway's great to see a MFI roar back to life. I like the comments and look of the sport exhaust. I am considering modifying the two in one out presently residing in my laundry closet, you may have just convinced me!
Old 11-29-2003, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Excellent Dave! Let us know when you are on the road with it and we'll celebrate by having another Carolina Fun Run.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hi Dave

What are your driving impressions of the sport muffler and MFI engine combo? Any flat spots?

I've heard good and bad for using these mufflers with MFI - especially that they do not have enought back pressure.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Tim Walsh
Dave's on his was to allentown today, but I can answer for him after having driven it for more than a few miles. The sport muffler was designed to work well with the MFI. If there is a flat spot at 3K I didn't notice it. He and I LOVE the sound of the sport muffler. It's really pretty tame at idle and without much throttle, but when you get into it it roars to life and has a really mean sound to it.

more later
"Dave, hit the brakes, but don't look like your htting the brakes...what? I DON'T KNOW, BRAKE CASUAL!!!" dtw's thoughts after nearly rear ending a SHP officer
Old 09-03-2004, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

My oil looked like that when I changed it the first time, after running it for 15-20 minutes.

Its all the assembly lube.

And yes, it does smell funny.
My Track Videos
TEC3 EFI Conversion on 1983 930
Old 09-03-2004, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Tim Walsh
Here's a link to a sportmuffler sound file I've got (not this car's though)
www.uncg.edu/~tpwalsh/graywolf001.wav
"Dave, hit the brakes, but don't look like your htting the brakes...what? I DON'T KNOW, BRAKE CASUAL!!!" dtw's thoughts after nearly rear ending a SHP officer
Old 09-03-2004, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

thanks guys

does anyone know if baffling in the danske 2 in 2 out (centre pipes) is any different than the 'home made' ones people make up from old standard mufflers? (ie. seal the side outlet, add the two centre pipes and cut some extra internal holes)

i ask because old standard mufflers (and welders) are much easier to find in Australia than danske products
Old 09-05-2004, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
GAFB

Ryan,
As mentioned above, I LOVE the sport muffler. You'll find me around town in mostly 2nd and 3rd gear, just so I can listen to that wonderful engine. I've got an almost-unnoticeable flat spot when transitioning from part throttle on overrun to WOT. It is very difficult to reproduce as the conditions usually aren't right. I don't know if this attributable to the sport muffler, inherent limitations in WWII injection technology, 30 year-old pump needs rebuilding, or 'T' space cam mated to my Crane tuner cams.

NO idea about the Dansk guts. The best thing about building your own sport exhaust from an old muffler, is that the existing baffles are already nice and rusty. They flow better
Old 09-06-2004, 12:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
GAFB

Incidentally Ryan, and those interested, here's a link to 3 recordings of my freshly-built engine with sport muffler. 1st two are in-car, 3rd is a drive-by outside of the car. Great Doppler effect on the last one.

Last edited by dtw; 09-06-2004 at 12:17 AM..
Old 09-06-2004, 12:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Dave

many thanks - i'm trialling a mate's spare stock muffler on the weekend. if that improves things then i think a dual centre out sport muffler is on the cards. of course - all results will be reported here.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

it worked!!

MFI flat spot fixed - it was the freakin' "sport" muffler...
Old 09-11-2004, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
GAFB

Great! Are you going to try converting the OEM Bischoff to a twin-pipe sport muffler now?
Old 09-11-2004, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: