Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Dave

I think i'll keep this one and the car and find another to experiment with.

I've also got a design for a 2 in 2 out setup using a pair of hot dog style mufflers i'd like to try.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Congrats Dave, 4 years is a long time to wait. I just put bolted the rods on and am right in the throws of a rebuild 2.4 MFI from my 72 car. Nice to hear the success stories.

Gruppe B # 3911

http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/cassidyp
Old 09-17-2004, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
GAFB

The motor will be re-debuting in a few months with a fairly thorough detailing to go with the freshly painted tub. I hope to debut pics soon...

As an update or epilogue on this motor:
This motor has run great, but has been rather leaky. Tracked one leak down to a pinched thermostat o-ring which was making the the flywheel seal look guilty. That helped a lot. Still some oil dripping on the heat exchanger from somewhere though, which wasn't cool. Then, misc. wetness on valve covers.

The motor has been yanked from the car for the repaint and continued restoration after logging a couple thousand miles. Upon inspection, the MFI cam seal is dry, the flywheel seal is dry, and nose seal is dry. All good news!! Yet to be inspected are: oil cooler, oil return tubes, rocker shafts, and various case joints & misc. One definite leak is at the right bank cam tower adapter - the sealing ring is crushed. Too much torque - I will be torquing these 'by feel' from now on and tightening a bit if they leak.

Anyway Cassidy good luck on the rebuild - definitely check out my site for some good newbie rebuild advice.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Dave;
You know, I missed this thread originally. I'm happy the motor turned out well. I loved the sound files. Congratulations! You're inspiring me to get moving on my project. But first I have to get some more parts out of my garage!

- John

"It's a poor craftsman who blames their tools" -- Unknown
"Any suspension -- no matter how poorly designed -- can be made to work reasonably well if you just stop it from moving." -- Colin Chapman
Old 09-18-2004, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
GAFB

John-
Just make sure none of those parts end up in my garage and we'll all get along fine! It's just starting to get back to the point where I don't get all nervous and twitchy when I turn on the light out there. If my garage were Walmart, it'd have been sued many times from people getting bonked on the head from top-shelf fallout.

Propane torches are heavy and blunt when bouncing off your head from the top shelf.

Moving along quite nicely today on stripping the last bits of paint off the car and finishing up metalwork. Dropped six hundred bones this morning on paint and supplies, and that didn't even include the base and clearcoat. Ouch.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: