Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Removing sealant between the case halves

I am rebuilding my 3,2 engine. I have dismantled the whole engine and cleaned all part except the mathing faces between the case halves. Does anyone have a tip how to removed the old sealant without damaging the mathingfaces?

85 911 Carerra
83 Ford Capri 2,8I
Old 07-20-2004, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Permatex Gasket Remover works great. Be careful not to get any on your engine stand of it will take off the paint. I use a one sided razor blade after that and scrape in the direction of the seam so if I make a nick it won't make a groove leading from in to outside the case. I pre bend the razor blade slightly so when I press down it flattens out - it doesn't tend to catch the edges that way.
-Chris

Last edited by ChrisBennet; 07-20-2004 at 02:46 PM..
Old 07-20-2004, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Who is John Galt?

I used 100% acetone and scotch brite pads.

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for you advices. I bought CRC gasket remover today. Will try it later today.

85 911 Carerra
83 Ford Capri 2,8I
Old 07-21-2004, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: