Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Damaged cam housing rocker bore--no problem?

Disassembled the cam housing last night and ran into one problem. One of the rocker arm pins(?) was broken at one of the grooves (that accepts the RSR seals). Some of the broken pin apparently gouged the bore upon removal.

I assume I can just lightly hone the bore to debur it. I will use the RSR seals and make sure the damaged area is between the seals to prevent leaks. Anything else I should consider?

Also, one of the rocker bushings has a slight gouge. I assume once deburred this rocker can be reused. Agree?

'68 911 Ossi Blue coupe
Old 10-05-2004, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'd just get another good used cam housing. Once the bore is scratched or ovalled much the chances are very high that it will leak. The RSR seals help but aren't a total "fix". A buddy of mine uses RTV to make a "plug" for the end of the rocker shaft bore but that gives me the willeys.
-Chris

Last edited by ChrisBennet; 10-05-2004 at 03:17 PM..
Old 10-05-2004, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah, on the RTV note, some used it on my engine. Let me just say that there was bits of RTV everywhere in the engine and a *huge* amout surrounding the oil pump. It doesn't seem like "RTV" and "engine rebuild" should be used in the same sentence, but I'm new at this.

On the used cam housing, how can I be sure I'm getting a good one? Do used parts places (like Parts Heaven, for example) check ovality before the sell? My concern is replacing my parts for used ones that are marginal at best. I suppose I can just blueprint whatever parts I get to confirm they are good.

'68 911 Ossi Blue coupe
Old 10-05-2004, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
check at ebay.com
Are you car loosing power? When was last time you service your fuel injectors? Dirty fuel injectors? Why no try a complete fuel injector cleaning service and return the dignity to you car. Visit www.rennsportfuel.com and we will return your injectors back to life!
Old 10-07-2004, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 911SCfanatic
On the used cam housing, how can I be sure I'm getting a good one?
I'd call Competition Engineering in Calif and speak to Walt. He may be able to fix it?
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 10-09-2004, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: