Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Engine Finished, In car and runs!

This is a stock rebuild of a 2.4E MFI, Had 1 small problem getting it to run, CDI had issues and points (needed cleaning), Also I must have been asleep putting the left cam oil line on as it wasn't tightend but other than that went smoothly, Engine runs and idles and I have only set the timing

This is the Car after a 10+ year resto almost ready for the PCNZ concours on 5th December

Thanks to all that have contributed advice (and in some special cases parts)

Neven
Old 11-21-2004, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Neven,

Magnificent job! I'm sure you'll get many years of enjoyment out of it.

-Andy
Old 11-21-2004, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Great work... is that Pastel Blue?
Old 11-21-2004, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

John

It looks a bit darker in real life the colour is 'Icing Blue'

Neven
Old 11-21-2004, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Engine looks great!... I see a hose connected to your exhaust. Did you run it on that stand?
Old 11-21-2004, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I was wondering if someone would ask that, No it is a budget flow bench for setting up the throttle bodies (which I'd rebuilt), When you put a cylinder at TDC with valve overlap only that cylinder has a path from the exhaust thru to the intake (both valves open), The hose is connected to a vaccum cleaner, I then used a synchrometer to measure airflow for each cylinder at idle and part throttle settings, you can do it for more than a minute at a time for the vacuum cleaner overheats!

It worked well though when I first ran the engine I was only slighlt out between the left and right backs

Neven
Old 11-21-2004, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Clever...
Old 11-21-2004, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Warren Hall Student

Garage
The car and the motor look fantastic.

Quote:
This is the Car after a 10+ year resto almost ready for the PCNZ concours on 5th December
Anything worth having never comes easy so I'd say your car is priceless!

Now about that ride height...

Paris Drakar?

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____

Last edited by Bobboloo; 11-22-2004 at 02:41 AM..
Old 11-22-2004, 02:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobboloo
Now about that ride height...

Paris Drakar?

Neven, fantastic job on your engine and your E looks great!
Old 11-22-2004, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Another longhood set for many years of enjoyment. Glad to hear that its running smoothly. I like the thought on the flow test.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 11-22-2004, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Bobby

Well spotted, The ride height is high at the back, needs to come down about 10mm, Its not Paris/Dakar settings! Maybe you guys with flares and lowered suspensions have forgotten what a std 911 looks like :-)

Neven
Old 11-22-2004, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Party Member

Garage
Neven,

That "budget flow bench" is very clever. As far as ride height, I hear that standard height is making a comeback, probably a result of all the SUVs on the roads here in the states.

Gary

71 911T Miss Demeanor / 2013 Audi Q5 Hundeführer
Old 11-22-2004, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Warren Hall Student

Garage
Neven,

Actually I haven't forgotten, I just couldn't resist a chance to show what Porsche nerds Jim and I are.

P.S. The car really is inspirational.

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____
Old 11-25-2004, 01:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Bobby

The car is off to the suspension place today to be lowered, you didn't comment on the 1 degree +ve camber at the rear
(which we hope to get rid of by lowering), I know its offtopic but I thought you might appreciate this photo
Old 11-25-2004, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
oh my god. Neven you are one HARDCORE MUTHAHUBBARD! you have just invented a new form of restoration. its called EXTREME REBUILDING!

Andy.

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 11-25-2004, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Andy

You'll appreciate that the car is ex UK (That darn salt gets everywhere), came to NZ about '85, I'll be putting up a website with more photos so stay tuned!
Old 11-25-2004, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
yeah, bloody england with its bloody rot. oh well.

Andy

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 11-25-2004, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Warren Hall Student

Garage
Wow that's insane.

How many times did you go to lift the pan off only to find yet another spot weld you missed?

I just wish I could retire so I could devote myself to a restoration of that degree. What fun.

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____
Old 11-25-2004, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: