Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
2.7 rebuild or swap???

I have my 911 on the for sale section but at heart I'd rather keep it and set it up for entry level racing in Southern California. I have built V8 motors in the past but the 6 seems a little harder to work with. What is the best deal, Motormeister has ads running 4K for a2.7 done or are their any others local that I should check into? I have never had a Porsche engine apart. Is it as expensive at it appears? Can a entry level guy do this in a fair time frame, Short blocks better deal etc etc. any advice would be great!
Old 10-05-2005, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If you have experience rebuilding engines, get yourself a few books from our host here and do the work yourself. You can upgrade the engine at the same time for a few extra dollars. What other questions do you have?

Do a search for Motormeister and you can come to an informed decision on them without risking your hard saved pennies.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
Old 10-05-2005, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks, I have a few books already and it seems straight foward yet the places to get parts seem unreal....not sure which in the end would be cheaper to my wallet
Old 10-06-2005, 03:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
OK now I'm real worried, I read all the MM stuff....No way. I'm on a very LTD budget and worried this will become a true nightmare, My friend is on the way to Thunder Hill and he is going to ask around but I'm very worried. I cannot see spending half the value of the car on this, I may still sell her or just brake down and do it myself....I was in the market for 5K done....what I read is 10K or more if done right....that won't work. Who sells a 2.7 rebuild kit that is solid?
Old 10-06-2005, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

mayfiebl,

I'm in the final stages of rebuilding my 2.7L. I am probably the last person to talk to about this right now. After months of work and thousands of $$$ the engine is in, but it barely runs. I just don't know enough to make it run correctly again - too many things have changed at once. My experience level also was a few V8s, and the actual rebuild was not technically hard. What was hard was that there is not "a kit" for rebuilding. You have to find all the parts - and for me, I'd go until I ran into something I needed, then I'd have to order it, and wait. Then it's hard to find one shop that will do all the machine work required. I had parts scattered all over the country. Right now, if I had it to do over.......I'd probably suggest buying a running engine to install. That doesn't guarantee that what you buy won't have its own set of problems. Unless you want the experience of rebuilding it yourself.

Rex (I used to live in Lancaster)
Old 10-06-2005, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Our host does have an engine rebuild wizard that will walk you though everything eneded for a rebuild. Another reputable vendor that sells rebuild kits is EBS Racing.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks I will look into this, If she does not sell by the weekend I'm pulling her apart.....Gut this thing and start over.....
Old 10-06-2005, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Another option would be to find a good used 2.7 and swap it. I've seen low mileage engines that are guaranteed for $1500 so you can continue to enjoy your car while you plan an upgrade, etc....
Old 10-06-2005, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Addicted to Racing

Garage
Why does the motor need to come apart.

Ed
See my list of current cars in my garage.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Slumlord

If you can rebuild an engine buy Waynes book and do it yourself. Do it over the winter and take your time. There's no reason you can't do 90% of the labor yourself.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I've seen low mileage engines that are guaranteed for $1500
Hey Charles- where have you seen these low-milage 2.7 guaranteed engines for $1,500? I'm not trying to be flip- I really want to know where to find one for my project!

_curt

www.curtfranklincreative.com
Old 10-11-2005, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Both at Stoddard's this year and at Hershey and Porsche parade. They were actually kinda piecemeal in the amount for sale, with exception of an original 2.7RS engine that they wanted tons of $$$ for (that looked like it came out of a barn).
Old 10-11-2005, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Guess I'll need to do a better job of keeping my eyes open!

www.curtfranklincreative.com
Old 10-11-2005, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
There is another option.

Pay a professional, get it done right (the first time) at a fair price and get a warranty to boot.

You might find a pro can do your engine for about the same price you could do it yourself leaving you time to do what you truly love. Golf, skiing, poker?

let me suggest.......................

Cheers
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net

Last edited by Henry Schmidt; 10-13-2005 at 07:21 PM..
Old 10-11-2005, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
D troop 3/5 CAV ,162 AHC

If you have no vw exp. (seems most have) then its a little diff. But I would have to say if you do know a torq wrench from common sense, that you can do it.- You might have questions and there are enough of us here to help you threw. A real guarantee is when you do it, you know its done right.
There are a few things that need a special Machine Shop....not the one dwn the street (probably)- Like the 2.7 case needs some up dates . Dont do these at home .Case savors, oil pump mod,line bore, ect. I would say DOIT.
The cam timing is a lil diff,but it will all come togather as you go
Old 10-11-2005, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
OK.Its been a week of driving all seems well I do notice a 500RPM increase of idle when the engine gets hot but otherwise it runs like it always did, no noise no smoke...I have no idea what it was but it still sits in the back of my head..oil pump? Rod Bearing? etc etc, well 200 plus miles later something should have gone. I agree after much reading and posts it seems very tempting to go thru her myself, but again IF I screw up...$$$$, For now the car seems fine, but down the road I would love to build her up a bit and I think at home(90%), Next project I'm picking up a well used 914 2.0.....little less costly to learn on and Track with.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by afterburn 549
............. A real guarantee is when you do it, you know its done right................
Well over a century of experience at Porsche engine rebuilding in my shop and to read this it has no value.
Pleeeeeease.
We build 60+ engines a year and except for a faulty rebuilt alternator I can't remember the last complaint. Read this board and see if the DIY crowd is posting that kind of success.
I enjoy helping the DIY people on this board but don't think for a moment that what you do in your garage compares in any way to what my pros produce in mine.
I'll correct myself, you are spending as much building it yourself as my customers are.
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 10-12-2005, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
I'm sure your much better than I and when the actual time comes to do it I would be open to your shop, However with it being a third Porsche and a ltd income I may HAVE to do it bit by bit....That would be the main reason for my knuckels being busted, I'm a Mecahanical Calibration guy at Lockheed but again its not Porsche engines.... I would make lots of mistakes I'm sure of that.I will bookmark your site.....Keep all digits crossed so I don't NEED your service for a while
Old 10-12-2005, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Licensed User

I called Henry over a year ago about a rebuild. I liked the price he gave me, but I decided to do it myself so I could spread the cost out over a longer period of time. After $3k worth of machine work and a considerable tool investment I accepted the fact that I couldnt do it right for cheaper than he could. I obviously wasnt going to get a warranty either. I applaud the successful DIY engine rebuild guys, but if I had listened to Henry then, Id be driving my car today instead of trying to figure out how to fund my engine swap after abandoning my DIY rebuild project.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
D troop 3/5 CAV ,162 AHC

My 1 st one came out just fine. Many more will say the same about their 1st one too!!
Henry,I respect your advise and authority,......but I do not think you need to scare up business.......do you????
Old 10-12-2005, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: