Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Threebond case sealant experiment..

I just sealed my 3.6 case halfs and as part of that experimented a bit with the Threebond products. As a result I used Threebond 1104 for the case perimeter and Locktite 574 on the inside webs. I use a bit of Curitil on the #8, deciding not to go as radical as I some others have done...maybe I was just chicken..

First of all I coated one side of a small piece of sheet metal with Threebond 1104 and waited for it to dry. That is the wierd part ; it dries really quick and really does not seal until its put under pressure against another surface so don't worry it it looks like it set-up.

Sorry for the lousy shot but here I am clamping two pieces of sheet metal with the Threebond between the pieces.

After 1/2 hour I took it out of the vice and seperate the pieces...you can see the nice bonding to both sides.

Here is what it looks like on the case halfs. Yes it looks sloppy, it was all cleaned up before I joined the cases. I used a small plastic spreader that allow me to spread it on really thin (translucent) or thicker and does not leave any hairs or marks...I went for thin but even.

Here is the edge of my case after clamping...I looks like I did the thickness just right (I won't realy find out until I put the oil in...) ;-)

Its seems to be good stuff and its was easy to use. Cheap too...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-19-2006, 11:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Looking good Mike!

Cheers
Old 02-19-2006, 11:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Doesn't want/need a 3.6L

Garage
Mike,

3 Bond 1104 has been used for years & years with good results. Every 962 motor out of Andial in the GTP days used it as the case sealant.

Looking good!

Ralph

2008 Cayman S (coming soon)
Old 02-20-2006, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Ralph what did you end up using, my memory is escaping me.....

Cheers
Old 02-20-2006, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
i used threebond 1104 on my case perimeter-easy to use and got a nice bit of squeezeout

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 02-20-2006, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Doesn't want/need a 3.6L

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by catca
Ralph what did you end up using, my memory is escaping me.....

Cheers
1104 for both the case sealant as well as the head/cam tower assembly. 12K on the motor and still dry.

Ralph

Old 02-20-2006, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Did you put it on the same way Mike's pictures show?

Cheers
Old 02-20-2006, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
Is that Torco MPZ Engine Assembly Lube on those bearings??Nice
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Doesn't want/need a 3.6L

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by catca
Did you put it on the same way Mike's pictures show?

Cheers
Yes, used an acid brush and applied it only on the areas where the case actually sealed, just like it appears Mike did.

Ralph

Old 02-20-2006, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I put mine on with my finger and a spreader to move it around

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 02-20-2006, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I used 3Bond for the last 2 motors I did. I was afraid to put it on that thick so I put it on thinner than that. I used my gloved finger to roll/dab it on. Kinda like covering the flange in Threebond "fingerprints".
I guess I don't need worry so much next time. Thanks Ralph!
-Chris

Last edited by ChrisBennet; 02-20-2006 at 03:52 PM..
Old 02-20-2006, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by cgarr
Is that Torco MPZ Engine Assembly Lube on those bearings??Nice
You bet...recognize the color? This stuff is really sticky though....you can feel it in the bearings...

BTW I did not spread the 3Bond with a brush but a little plastic paddle ; it looks like a little oar off a boat. It works great because you can control the thickness by adjusting the angle of the paddle. I don't like to use a brush because the 3Bond is so sticky it just will pull the hairs out of the brush.

Here is another shot of the paddles I use. I put a light coat of Curitil on the #8 just in case although I am using the Viton O rings which I think are a tiny bit thicker than the stock ones...I did not have the guts to take the Tightbond approach and totaly cover the O ring.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-20-2006, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Slumlord

So, Mike is an engineer who uses the plastic craft sticks to apply adhesive...just like me.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

where does one obtain threebond? Have not come across it on this side of the pond
'05 996 4S cab.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I had the same problem. you can buy it from henry

www.supertecperformance.com

Old 02-21-2006, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Peterfrans
where does one obtain threebond? Have not come across it on this side of the pond
I got mine at my local Honda store...try motorcycle shops etc.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-21-2006, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by PBH
So, Mike is an engineer who uses the plastic craft sticks to apply adhesive...just like me.
I like using the pink ones.....
Old 02-21-2006, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Doesn't want/need a 3.6L

Garage
3 Bond 1104 was also known as "Yamabond" back in the day. "Yama" refers to Yamaha, which like Mike mentioned should also be available at motorcycle shops as well as discerning Porsche engine builders.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

I'm planning on using the ThreeBond 1104 to seal my engine as well. I purchased mine from Henry at Supertec.

Not trying to open a debate here, but I'm not planning to apply any sealant to the bearing webs. After speaking to my machinist, Neil Harvey, it's just not needed and I'm fearful that 574 in this area could create more problems then it it will solve. Again, I know it's perfectly fine to use sealant on the bearing webs...I'm just opting not to. However, I do plan to apply a VERY thin coat of 574 to many of the gaskets.

As for the nose bearing, I have ThreeBond 1211 and Curil-T, and just haven't decided on my plan for treating this area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 02-22-2006, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
I used the 1211 on my #8 not too much but it seamed to work or at least look good, will know for sure this spring when I fire it up..
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: