Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

82 911SC Top End Rebuild

Well I had posted that my 82 911SC with 155k was smoking and some of the members of this board correctly pointed out that Valve guides were probably going bad. I just had a visit with my mechanic who stated that I need a top end rebuild. The question I have is how difficult is it to perform the top end rebuild since the machine shop will be doing most of the work etc. Please advise and also I am waiting on my copy of Wayne's book to see if I want to attempt this job. I appreciate any input etc also if anyone knows a good machine shop in San Jose Ca.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2006, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I am in the middle of a "top end" rebuild myself. 78SC with 75K miles, neccesitated by Dilavar stud issues.
It is a task that takes a lot of time but is something you can do with the healp of waynes book and the great folks on here. It does take a lot of hours ! Mostly due to amateur ineffeciency but you will defintely appreciate why professional Porsche mechanics quote large sums for a rebuild.
As you read Waynes book you will see that a top end is maybe 85% of the work of a full rebuild. I am sure others who are more experienced than I will chime in but if you have 155K on that engine you might want to do the full rebuild, it is not that much more in terms of time or money.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for your input, you probably are right I might as well do the entire job. Thanks for your input good luck with your rebuild let me know how it turns out.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 02-25-2006, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

go for it. You'll learn tomns in the process.
1973 914 1.7
Old 02-27-2006, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

There is a lot you can screw up, but with help, what a rewarding project it can be when you fire it up.
1982 SC Targa (Sold)
Old 02-28-2006, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It's not hard. I did it so any one can do it!!!
Old 02-28-2006, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I had 9 broken studs. Last motor I rebuilt was my Karman Ghia when I was 17. At the time my car went down, I either had to sell the car at a loss or fix it myself. Selling was not an option so I did it myself. You will need to buy some special tools - do iit there is no other way around it. You will need some books, you'll need a dry space to rebuild the motor. It will take you twice as long as you think it will, but it is a great experience. Plus there are probably a few Pelican's in your area that will help with the tough stuff, like checking the cam timing.

Clean out your garage, buy Wayne and Bruce Anderson's books, use this forum for information and parts and you'll be fine.
1973 914 1.7
Old 02-28-2006, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: