Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Engine Build

Glad to see you are making progress. My car is looking for a big brother to play with in the N. GA. mountains, and soon! Can't wait for the locals to do a double-take when they see not 1, but 2, black, '70s 911s frolicking on a sunny day among the twisty curves.

Last edited by Dejathoris; 07-28-2010 at 02:52 PM..
Old 07-26-2010, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejathoris View Post
Glad to see you are making progress. My car is looking for a big brother to play with in the N. GA. mountains, and soon! Can't wait for the locals to do a double-take when they see not 1, but 2, black, '70s 911s frolicking on a sunny day among the twisty curves.
Yea, to me it feels more like resurrection.

Really hoped to be done for next weekend's Caffeine and Octane but i could only get a dyno slot later in the month.

Cheers

Gert
"Its good to plan your work, but its even better to do it"
My Gallery
Old 07-29-2010, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Update

Made some more progress:

Piston installation went smooth. I took Mike Bruns' advice in the Stomski Racing cir-clip injector tool and the cir-clip installation was a breeze. Definitely worth the investment.

Deck height measured out at .043" 1.09mm that reduced the calculated CR to 11.3:1.

Piston to head clearance measured 1.98mm. I used the solder to map the clearance all the way over the piston dome and it was uniform as can be seen in the picture below. (Note, It did not take very much pressure to compress the solder to get the measurement)

I mated the heads to the cam towers first and then installed the assembly to the cylinders.

More to come
My Gallery
Old 07-29-2010, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Update 2

Installed the camshafts, chain boxes and adjustable cam gears, had to move a couple of shims around to get the sprocket alignment right.

Another good tool investment made the sprocket alignment easy.

Timing on both cams were spot on at 5.0mm lift. Valves adjusted and ready to close up.

JBRacing twin plug distibutor. Upgraded to CW rotation with later 3.2L timing gear on the crankshaft.

50mm PMOs going on.

Still to be completed this weekend:

Routing and installing of plug wires, replacing of electric oil pressure gauge with mechanical gauge, replacing of header collectors with merge collectors and complete exhaust.

Scheduled dyno time for break-in and tuning mid August.

Cheers

Gert
My Gallery
Old 07-29-2010, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Looking really fabulous. I see you are installing the DC62 @ 106 lobe center. Has anyone set these any tighter than that? Motors with short runners like this and high compression make fabulous power with say about 100 lobe center on the intake. A 3L Ferrari engine I just built with a near identical cam profile made best power at a super tight 98 degree intake center and 100 degree exhuast center!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
911 SC '83 using Microsqu

Looking at your head , was wandering what is the threaded hole on the exhaust port?

thanks
Old 08-05-2010, 03:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

PW

Heads of that era had an M10x1.0 threaded threaded hole into the exhaust port to allow the injection of air into that location. An emissions band-aid which every hot rodder plugs with a suitable short bolt or set screw (not being able to find set-screws in this size on short notice I cut off bits of bolt and hack sawed a screw driver slot in them - it worked fine mostly).

That head in the picture was cast from 7/76 molds. I'd have expected them to be 2.7 heads, but if used on a 3.0 case they can't be. Perhaps they were for the Euro 3.0 Carrera? I think I see a 930 part number in the picture, but that number is a bit obscure.

But I can see Porsche using those on the '78 SC. Maybe the molds lasted a long time? Or they had a large run to use up?

Walt
Old 08-05-2010, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvporschepilot View Post
Looking really fabulous. I see you are installing the DC62 @ 106 lobe center. Has anyone set these any tighter than that? Motors with short runners like this and high compression make fabulous power with say about 100 lobe center on the intake. A 3L Ferrari engine I just built with a near identical cam profile made best power at a super tight 98 degree intake center and 100 degree exhaust center!
Thanks. I am sure there are some folks that use the profile un-altered and they can chime in if they read this.

I changed to a slightly more aggressive profile 314/296@106 but with the same lobe spacing. From my limited understanding of the situation the additional spacing in the lobes (reduced overlap) limit the over scavenging of the efficient merge collector headers that pulls fresh charge into the exhaust and makes for more driveability at the bottom end of the prower range with a minor sacrifice at peak power.

I completed the carb linkage and some routing of the plug wires. The Turbo sytle valve covers need to be modified a little to work with the lower spark plug holders.

I changed the collectors on my headers to Burns-SS merge collectors as originally planned. They welded on the tabs, v-band flanges and also made reverse cone megaphones according to their SW header design tool. These are pieces of art and the crafmanship is exceptional. I had to remove the old collectors and make the new ones fit.

It was a bear to do and a lot more difficult than I initially thought. I had to cut and realign almost all the primaries, in some cases more than once and re-weld to lign up to the collector. In the end it worked out fine except where my limited welding skills were applied.

Original Bursh style header:

Header with new merge collector and reverse cone megaphone:

I will complete the exhaust this weekend

Cheers
Gert
My Gallery
Old 08-06-2010, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Fantastic! I am realy enjoying this thread. If I were a gambling man, which I'm not, I would say you are going to meet your goal. Is she going right into the car or are you going to hit the flywheel dyno first?
Old 08-09-2010, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Flywheel dyno next Monday!
My Gallery
Old 08-09-2010, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

nice build there Gert...I don't recall if you commented on why you are not running pressure fed chain tensioners...?? Is this a track motor only, possibly, thus you are going w/ solid (turbo) tensioners...??

I look fwd to your dyno results as many others do I am sure...

What do you think the f/wheel hp will be...??

Thx & keep up the great work...

Bob
Old 08-09-2010, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Bob,

Its still a dual purpose car at this point, both track and some weekend mountain driving. I opted to use the solid chain tensioners from a safety, cost and weight point of view. Since the car will not be driven day to day i felt that this additional work could be tied in with valve lash adjustments a few times a year as part of a pre or post DE maintenance program.

My hope is to get to 330Hp as the original build plan was bumped up a few notches with higher CR, more aggressive cam profile as well as head design and flow that would add to the original estimate. There are some folks that are running 350- 380Hp 3.0L race motors as per this thread which makes it possible but I didnt go all the way i.e. Xtreme head castings, Ti valves etc. . Realistically I think I should get in the 300 to 310Hp range with my build and Frankenstein exhaust, and with the help of Mike at JB Racing maybe a little higher , if i didnt screw anything up along the way.

I should have the answer by next week this time.

Cheers

Gert
My Gallery
Old 08-09-2010, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

I cant wait to see your dyno numbers! Im building a 3.2SS with RSR pistons, Early Large port heads (by Steve W )Mod s cams, JB twin plug distruibutor, 46mm PMO's with SSI's and a sport Dansk. Im hoping for 260ish if all goes well. Your build kinda makes me wish I had gone high comp pistons and a bit more agressive setup. Either way, it is going in a light early car so it should be fine. Please keep up the pictures! They are very inspiring!

Last edited by Carrerax; 08-11-2010 at 12:02 PM..
Old 08-10-2010, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Engine Build

Amazing Gert. My guess is after this car is done you will want to either build another car or start your own business. Looking forward to that call from you stating you are coming over with your masterpiece.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Wow!

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 08-10-2010, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Dyno Day

Well, Gert is on his way back to Atlanta a happy man ! I will let him reveal the results.

Thanks, Mike Bruns JBRacing.com
Old 08-17-2010, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Can't wait. Sounds fabulous.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBruns View Post
Well, Gert is on his way back to Atlanta a happy man ! I will let him reveal the results.

Thanks, Mike Bruns JBRacing.com
Mike that is an understatement ! Thanks again for helping with this build and yesterday's tuning, it would not have been possible without you and the team at JB Racing. I will let you comment on the detaill of what was achieved

I was very nervious about staring the motor up, way too many things went through my head that i could have done wrong. On Mike's recommendation we did the dyno session on Joe Gibbs break in oil that has the correct additives to protect the bearings, cams and rockers but allows the rings to seat very quickly.

Oil pressure was great and went up to 80 Psi above ~4.5K Rpm @180 deg F

I have not downloaded pictures from my camera yet, will do so tonight and fill in a few gaps.

The very first power pull on the motor provided 296Hp & 23 #ft TQ with no stacks and very save (rich) mixture. From there on the motor just went up as we completed about 20 10-12 sec pulls.

Peak Hp was acheived with open stacks and reverse cone megaphones 330.5 Hp @ 8K Rpm with 238.7 #ft TQ.

With the K&N watershields mounted we lost 3 Hp at the peak and and got max TQ.

The last 3 posted sheets were very interesting as we mounted the mufflers i use on the car and almost lost nothing to the reverse cone megaphones. The power moved around in the rage a lttle but from maximum numbers not much difference in fact in one pull (the last one #20) we had full load on WOT at 3.5K Rpm and the motor didnt bog at all delivered 185 #ft at that RPM and kept on pulling.

So, yes, i am very happy with the results

Cheers

Gert

My Gallery
Old 08-17-2010, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Great Job! Two hands on the wheel from 5500 - 6500 rpm please!
Old 08-17-2010, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Very nice! 330 HP should silence the nay-sayers regarding a 3.0 SC. Great work.

Lindy
Old 08-17-2010, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: