Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to jakev
Question Timing chain housing fasteners

The book states that you use self-locking fasteners for the two nuts on the bottom and the single nut on top. It then states to use the factory 13 mm nuts on the studs that protruded into the inside of the timing chain cover. However, on a 2.7 l CIS engine, as the Figure 6-3 in the book shows, the fasteners appear to be just ordinary nuts. Is the figure correct? Also, what sort of washers are being used? Aluminum or steel?
Old 01-06-2012, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I dont know about the book so much but what makes sense.
I use Nyloc on the outside of the engine with steel washers. I dont want nylon floating in the oil
I use plain nuts on the inside with new wavey washers.
On the thermostat and case vent I use plain nuts and wavey washers as thats the way they came from the factory.

Bruce
Old 01-06-2012, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Plain nuts will work fine everywhere except for valve covers. The torque involved is sufficient to keep them from backing out.

But nylocks on the outsides of the case will work fine also. I'm with Bruce on nylocks inside the case. No need.

Being cheap, I use my steel washers over and over and over. The wavy kind, but not because I think the waviness does any good. I like them because they are thin. Never been a problem. I do favor steel washers over anything else, however. Either the factory or one of the well respected engine books call for magnesium washers, or something similar (not soft aluminum), but I like the fact that steel isn't going to crush at all.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I reused those 2 plain nuts and washers on the inside of each chain case and I put a drop of blue or other low yeild loctite on the threads of them.

The loctite is unlikey to ever be needed on them and some people will probably frown on that but it gives me some extra peace of mind that they won't ever come off and fall into the crankcase and it doesn't hurt anything.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: