Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Rebuilding Warm Up Regulator

I have a 1981 911sc and the warm up regulator is going bad. Do the rebuilt ones work as well as a new one?
Old 08-24-2016, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

No reason they shouldn't. I don't know just what goes bad in a WUR. There is a sort of filter screen (not a separate part, just a bunch of small drilled holesl) which can clog. Of course the bimetal spring might somehow fail, or the heating wires wrapping it go bad or have a break in continuity. There is a thin steel (stainless?) diaphragm in there. And a sort of barometric copper bellows piece. If the diaphragm goes bad, a water cutter or the like should be able to reproduce it. Crud can be cleaned out. This assumes it hasn't spent time under water or in an ocean. Rebuilders can adjust them so they give the proper control pressure values cold and hot.

What makes you think it is going bad?

Old 08-24-2016, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Walt, Thank you for replying and the picture. I have a guy in Hendersonville that works on mostly early 911's. He did a major turn-up on the car and told me I would need one soon. If I let the car sit for a couple weeks without starting it, it starts hard. He said that the pressure was leaking down and that I needed a WUR. I did some research on line and people were talking about rebuilding or adjusting them. He is an original parts type person and is suggesting that I get a new one. From what you said and other comments, I feel like mine could be either fixed or rebuilt. The new Porsche ones are very expensive and I was just trying to save a little.
Thanks again and I will show him your reply.
Bob
Old 08-25-2016, 03:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The new ones are out of stock, NLA, so you need to find someone with the knowledge of setting them up.
I have had Tony on the board here repair several successfully
Bruce
Old 08-25-2016, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Flat6pac,
Thanks for the reply. What is Tony's last name? I would like to get in touch with him.
Bob
Old 08-25-2016, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If your guy told you that you need a new WUR because the pressure was leaking down in it after sitting then I think you should get a new mechanic. A bad accumulator will cause that, not a bad WUR. A bad WUR may cause hard starting but not because it is allowing the pressure to bleed down. Of course he makes a lot more selling you a WUR then an accumulator.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted79 View Post
If your guy told you that you need a new WUR because the pressure was leaking down in it after sitting then I think you should get a new mechanic. A bad accumulator will cause that, not a bad WUR. A bad WUR may cause hard starting but not because it is allowing the pressure to bleed down. Of course he makes a lot more selling you a WUR then an accumulator.
This is correct.
Also the the fuel pressure regulator in the CIS fuel head has two parts. The skinnier center section with it's own tiny spring is there to hold some residual control pressure after the fuel pump(s) are shut off. The larger outer part holds system fuel pressure just below CIS injector pintle opening pressure which is usually around 30 to 35psi.

Control pressure regulaters are simple and easily rebuildable as long as parts are available.
Brian Leask does a real good job of fixing them and making them adjustable.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you to boosted79 and JFairman for your replies. Appreciate the information.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Another idea, on the 80/83 USA, the relay under the passenger seat goes bad and the CIS mimics a bad WUR. The relay is available at local stores quite inexpensive.
Bruce
Old 08-27-2016, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat6pac View Post
Another idea, on the 80/83 USA, the relay under the passenger seat goes bad and the CIS mimics a bad WUR. The relay is available at local stores quite inexpensive.
Bruce
May as well toss this discussion in here when it comes to the relay being available at local stores!

911SC Frequency Valve problem
Old 08-27-2016, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: