Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Slippery slope skier

Garage
The dairy bends are 1.5mm thick and I've been using 1/16 tungsten.

You are correct for spotting that the pieces I used for welding practice look thicker (it's coming back to me now).

The plan is to build the exhaust with 1.6mm thk pipe. I was lucky to score some free off-cuts of S/S pipe.....except I hadnt initially realised that there was a mixture of 1.6mm thk and 2mm thk pipes!

According to my notes, I did my last weld using 50Amps.
15CFH flow through the torch & 7.5lt/min flow for purging.
The tungsten protrusion was set at 6mm.
...and I was using a no. 9 gas lens! (or is that a no. 6 )

930 rebuild – The revival of my mothballed project
Old 04-10-2018, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb911 View Post
1/16 tungsten with about 65 amps is all that will be needed to do this correctly. We make these the same way
Those are good looking headers and good looking welds

Old 04-10-2018, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Hello mate, great to see the resurrection of your project, looking forward to the updates shortly. Office work. Phnar.

The eGas throttle pot I'm using is very similar to the one you posted a pic of, albeit mine has a metal rotating cable holder and has the cable fixed onto the rotator, presenting an eyelet for mounting onto the pivot assembly. Mine's out of an Audi S8 (and I presume A8)....if getting a second user one, then dont get it confused with the cruise control unit - they look identical. Ask me how I know. Somehow mine got switched somewhere between me buying it and handing it over to MBE for callibration (to the ECU) and then mounting it on the engine. It cause a few moments of head scratching when on the dyno, when we couldn't control the throttle!

The newer unit I have no experience of; I did also investigate the integrated pots that form part of the throttle pedal (a BMW one in my case), but they're bloody odd looking things to retrofit into our cars, not at all in-keeping so I binned that idea.

The Penny & Giles ones are interesting; I used to use a P&G position sensor on my Westfield (not an eGas one though), on the 2.0 XE Red Top engine. Steve @ SBD was a big fan of them, as you say, motorsport quality and small. If you want to pursue this option, let me know, as I'm sure Simon my wiring guy will know where to get them; if needed I can get one locally and ship it over to you.
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
On Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_.b #spennybengineproject
Old 04-10-2018, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
I'm keen to attempt to build merge collectors with the help of my friend from the hydraulic shop (same friend that helped me with the off cuts).

Here are some segments he made for another customer of his.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenny_b View Post
Hello mate, great to see the resurrection of your project, looking forward to the updates shortly. Office work. Phnar.

The eGas throttle pot I'm using is very similar to the one you posted a pic of, albeit mine has a metal rotating cable holder and has the cable fixed onto the rotator, presenting an eyelet for mounting onto the pivot assembly. Mine's out of an Audi S8 (and I presume A8)....if getting a second user one, then dont get it confused with the cruise control unit - they look identical. Ask me how I know. Somehow mine got switched somewhere between me buying it and handing it over to MBE for callibration (to the ECU) and then mounting it on the engine. It cause a few moments of head scratching when on the dyno, when we couldn't control the throttle!

The newer unit I have no experience of; I did also investigate the integrated pots that form part of the throttle pedal (a BMW one in my case), but they're bloody odd looking things to retrofit into our cars, not at all in-keeping so I binned that idea.

The Penny & Giles ones are interesting; I used to use a P&G position sensor on my Westfield (not an eGas one though), on the 2.0 XE Red Top engine. Steve @ SBD was a big fan of them, as you say, motorsport quality and small. If you want to pursue this option, let me know, as I'm sure Simon my wiring guy will know where to get them; if needed I can get one locally and ship it over to you.
Hello Spencer.
I hadn’t seen your reply while I was typing away on my previous post.

I really like the egas solution you came up with. Very elegant.
I’m reluctant to buy a used part...on the other hand many of these BOSCH egas derivatives are NLA or damn expensive new! I’ll have another look at these before I make up my mind. What is your feeling on the environmental protection level offered by the S8 unit? (will it hold up to water splashing? Or pressure washing?)

I’m not so keen on the M Benz version.....unless the new price surprises me!

Thank your for the offer to assist with sourcing P+G stuff. Their stuff have lots of merits...except I don’t think they will integrate as elegantly as your solution. I’ll sleep some more on this concept....and see if I can come up with something “trick”

Old 04-10-2018, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa P View Post
Those are good looking headers and good looking welds

They better be lol been teaching welding and fab at a college for the last 20 years.

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
914-6werkshop.com ,heat exchangers, oil tanks, etc
Old 04-10-2018, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Slippery slope skier

Garage
Procrastination = end

Time to break the bad habit of procrastination and to try and get some much needed progress again;
Step 1: Come to terms with the fact that I need outside assistance!
Step 2: Haul the car out and give it a much needed wash...pause and drool

Our little peanut is almost 16months old now!

Step 3: Trailer the car off to Café 9 Automotive

The 930 is in good company at Café 9 Automotive
Full suspension refresh has been initiated and new parts from our host are on the way.

Feeling quite satisfied that the spell has been broken and I’m getting excited to see some progress again
Old 09-12-2018, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
More Progress...

Wednesday night has been instated as hobby night.
More progress photos to be posted soon ... To Be Continued

Old 09-12-2018, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
Crushed oil line repair

One of my Wednesday night tasks has been to tackle the repair of the crushed oil lines.
The team at Café 9 automotive promptly removed the lines as a complete assembly and put some much needed pressure on me to complete the repair ASAP

The repair of these lines has been on my mind for a very VERY long time.
In fact it’s been so long, that I have been totally overthinking and over planning this exercise!
The AHA moment was back in 2013 when I first read the post from Rusty Heap Fixed my Crushed Oil line for $5 and a beer.

...And since everything worth doing, is worth over doing...
...after a little help from my friends at the hydraulic shop.....and voila!
M30x1.5 blanking plugs

I set myself the following boundaries for this repair:
  • Limit the internal pressure to 60PSI. DO NOT GET CARRIED AWAY when you see the success of the repair and incrementally up the pressure just 10 more PSI (let’s see if we can get it a little bit better!) This will mitigate the risk of bursting the pipe while executing this repair
  • The objective is to recover 90% of the cross section. DO NOT GET CARRIED AWAY to repair it to a level that would make it impossible to see that it had ever been damaged!
  • Do not wreck the threads of the oil temperature thermostat. Execute the repair without removing the pipes from the thermostat housing
  • Final cleaning of the inside of the pipes to be done as part of rebuilding the oil thermostat to ensure that it is functioning correctly

Last edited by Costa P; 09-16-2018 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: noticed error after posting
Old 09-16-2018, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
Crushed oil line repair

continued

So how did it turn out???

and some more

Very happy with the results

Old 09-16-2018, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Excellent!
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 09-16-2018, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Top job matey, nicely played!

When it comes to rebuilding the thermostat unit, gimme a shout, I'm an "expert" [totally ironic mode=on] #askchris
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
Old 09-17-2018, 02:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Garage
Génial !
Old 09-17-2018, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Excellent!
Thank You Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenny_b View Post
Top job matey, nicely played!

When it comes to rebuilding the thermostat unit, gimme a shout, I'm an "expert" [totally ironic mode=on] #askchris
Thank You Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat RUFBTR View Post
Génial !
Thank You Pat
Old 09-18-2018, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
Front Bilstein strut repair

Here is another progress report on activities completed during the Wednesday night hobby nights;

On my request, the team at Café 9 Automotive removed the front struts and handed them over to me in order to conclude some repairs that I had identified some (very long) time ago!
Quote:
....why don’t you have a go at freshening up the suspension?

The repair involved resolving the additional negative camber which had been inadvertently dialled into the RH front strut….after a spirited DE event. Whereby I over eagerly apexed over the curb and banged the RH front wheel solidly into the bump stop! Ouch !

After close inspection and about 8 years of over thinking the required approach to conduct this repair….I have finally completed the repair!

The good news is that the damage was limited to the movement as indicated by the witness marks in the paint. From what I can measure the tube has not bent. The insert has not bent. The insert is easily removed and reinstalled into the strut with perfect alignment and mating into position.

This damage (as is visible in the photograph) is a text book example of why the RSR struts where modified by the factory to add gussets!

My approach to repairing this problem followed the methodology involved to raise the spindles. My initial intention was to raise the spindles 19mm and in the process fix this fault. In the end (this has been a long drawn out consideration) I decided against lowering the car due to constraints at my home and driveway.
So instead of drilling out the spot weld and pressing the collar further up the strut…I opted to leave the spot weld intact and press the collar back into its original position.

This involved the help from my friend Neels, his 20ton press and an assortment of fixtures that he already had available. I only had to modify one item;

Old 09-18-2018, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
continued.

So many years of overthinking, a few hours preparation, a digital clinometer a 20ton press and 30min later the strut has been repaired!
(Within 0.1deg of the repeatability of the measuring instrument - comparison between LH & RH strut)

I plan to weld gussets to ensure the collar doesn’t move again.
Then the whole lot will be sent to the local Bilstein agents for a rebuild.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Blimey mate, will ya slow down a little? I’m not used to all this sudden rapid progress!!

Nice job, nothing more satisfying than pondering a particular task for ages, then nailing it with a lot less effort or aggro than anticipated
Old 09-18-2018, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
Hey Spencer, I have a hell of a lot of catching up to do!
I’m too scared to take my foot off the throttle now

Sneak peak into tonight’s progress;

I borrowed the friction spanner from my mate Fred. It worked like a charm to loosen the 50mm cover. I’m preparing a special tool for the removal of the 38mm cover.

Did one or two other tasks as well , but I’ll wait before I write about those. Want to have a bit more considerable progress before I share

Last edited by Costa P; 09-19-2018 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: Grammar Police
Old 09-19-2018, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Slippery slope skier

Garage
Quote:
continued.

So many years of overthinking, a few hours preparation, a digital clinometer a 20ton press and 30min later the strut has been repaired!
(Within 0.1deg of the repeatability of the measuring instrument - comparison between LH & RH strut)

I plan to weld gussets to ensure the collar doesn’t move again.
Then the whole lot will be sent to the local Bilstein agents for a rebuild.
Forgot to include the Before/After pics

Old 09-19-2018, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Garage
Great stuff. That oil line fix is so cool/clever; I'd read the original version and neat to see others duplicate the process.
This might be a stupid question: how could the stub axle assembly get so cockeyed on the McPherson strut tube without having dented the tube, even if just minimally? Is there enough of a gap between the OD of the strut tube and the ID of the stub axle assembly/ring to allow for that to happen without physically deforming either?
Best regards, John/CT
Old 09-20-2018, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: