Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Slippery slope skier

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarr View Post
What size cylinders? Are the heads chamfered for them? Hard to tell from the pic but it looks like a pretty large sealing surface?
Hi Craig. I'm reusing my stock P&C's. The heads have been surfaced 0.25mm.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
Procrastination = OFF

I may have been quiet for two weeks or so……but during this time I managed to get over my procrastination and made some important progress.

Drum-roll….
Hello MoTeC M130

In the end, my decision was simple:
  • I made the decision to trust the tuning of my engine to Rob from Cantwell Racing Engines. Rob is also happy to tackle either of the ECU options I considered.
  • Only MoTeC & Haltech are represented in South Africa (considering my shortlist of EFI options). Rob’s recommendation was to go with the Motec M130.
  • Rob got me a fantastic deal on the MoTeC M130....making my final decision a no brainer!

I received the M130 on Thursday evening and was pleasently surprised to get a lovely MoTeC hard case with it (perfect for my OCD for nice goodies).
Thank you Rob.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
MoTeC M1 Tune software

Rob indulged me with an M1 package (base map) which I can use as a starting point and tweak to suite my application. Here is a screenshot of the main screen:

I’m busy going through the comprehensive range of I/O options and enabling the functions applicable to my installation. Once this has been completed, you can print a summary of the pinouts to use for designing the new harness.

I feel like a little kid at Christmas, that has just received a very cool new toy

930 rebuild – The revival of my mothballed project
Old 10-01-2016, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
Further progress

......some beautiful TK parts have been ordered:

1) GT35R kit (configuration per Chris's recommendations)
2) EFI injector blocks - WORK OF ART! .....in case you missed Pstl_Pete's thread with pics TurboKraft Full Engine rebuild, EFI, + more - Build Thread
3) TPS kit
4) Head temp kit

Christmas is coming twice

I can confirm that Chris is a star. I have chewed his ear off with the amount of hours he spent on the phone with me.

Chris, your recommendations, advice (and patience) are very much appreciated. Thank you.

PS. Still very much craving that billet full bay IC.....damn you lottery, why don't you come to me!

Old 10-05-2016, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
This is going to be a great thread to watch! Thanks for sharing.

Do we have a goal for a startup date?
Old 10-12-2016, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche0nut View Post
This is going to be a great thread to watch! Thanks for sharing.

Do we have a goal for a startup date?
Thank you Jonathan.

I'd like to get the long block buttoned up by Dec.
At the moment I'm having a set of SC cams modified to add the scavenge pump drive. While I'm waiting for the parts from TK and some new rocker shafts and replacement bushes for the rockers....then we have all parts needed to complete the long block.

In the mean time I'm busy sourcing S/S tube for the custom headers, hopefully have that sorted in the next two weeks. I'd like to start with the fabrication during the Dec holidays....we will have to see how that pans out.

Sort out the EFI installation, harness and sensors etc by March.

So conceivably It could be on the road again by June next year (which would be an awesome outcome....barring any interventions from ol' Murphy!)

Old 10-13-2016, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Slippery slope skier

Garage
Progress Update

It is time for an update with the progress so for.

1) More parts received:

Beautiful GT35 from Chris

Beautiful EFI blocks also from Chris

SC cams modded for scavenge pump drive

Knock sensor bridges and knock sensors.

New rocker shafts.
Rockers re-bushed.

Oil return tubes cleaned up and yellow zinc plated (they look like new!)

All parts required to proceed with the assembly of the long-block are on hand now.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
2) Cyl Head porting:

The EFI blocks require some minor port matching for the fuel injector.
Unfortunately....once I had the die grinder in hand I slid further down the slippery slope....

Simple wooden fixture to easily clamp the head at a comfortable position & angle.

The inlet ports were milled open to 37mm some time ago, but I had not finished blending the ports until now.
Some further (minor) trimming was required for the fuel injector position as per the new EFI blocks.

Simple plastic protectors for the valve seats & cyl head mating surface.
Fashioned from an ice-cream tub and taped together with duct tape.
Provided a little bit more protection against mistakenly nicking those delicate surfaces.

Valve guides protected with plastic tubing as per Jim Fairman's post
made some more aluminum dust...

I need to get more sanding rolls in the larger sizes so that I can complete the job. Im about 70% complete using the tools I had on hand.
I will post more pics once I am done porting (OCD mode = overdrive)

I must say that this activity is very therapeutic!

Old 11-20-2016, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
Another trip to PFERD to purchase more abrasive rolls and a few good hours in the garage this evening and the result looks like this:

Old 11-21-2016, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
Finishing and fine grinding

Some feedback to whoever wishes to attempt this;
The following PFERD abrassive rolls worked well for me:

POLIROLL PR 1235 CO-COOL 120
POLIROLL PR 0625 CO-COOL 80

The CO-COOL (cermanic oxide grain) worked like a charm.
The aluminium oxide type rolls were a waste of time/money!

80grit works best and leaves the right texture on the port surface to help with the flow (turbulent boundary layer blah blah blah).

The PFERD store didnt have stock of the 1235 in 80Grit. So using the 120 grit was next best. The result is a bit on the "too smooth side".....but in the grand scheme of things I believe it is just fine.

Try and buy the longest arbor you can get....to reach deep into the port without running the risk of the rotating collet of the die grinder making contact with the valve seats etc.

I wasn’t able to find a long arbor, so I had to be extra cautious not to hurt something with the rotating collet. Covering the collet with a strip of plastic (ice-cream tub) provided a small margin of protection in case it made slight contact with something.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
Burr for rough cutting

The PFERD WRC 0613/3 burr for ALU works like a charm!
I use the 3mm shank version with my HD Dremel.

All cutting was done dry and the tool stays clean and clog free!
The speed control (foot pedal) on the HD Dremel really helps to control the amount of material being removed.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Nice work!
I've done some cylinder head ports too. Mostly old 4 and 6 cylinder BMW's.
When I use carbide burs in a die grinder dry they load up with aluminum quickly and a machinist scribe is needed to dig the aluminum out of the flutes. A wire brush gets the last of it.
To keep that from happening you can stop and dip the bur in a little cup of WD40 lubricant or something similar every couple minutes and then aluminum doesn't load up in the flutes of the bur. A plastic cap from a spray can works good to hold a little lubricant.
I opened up my 930 heads and flat intake manifold holes to 40mm, port matching them to 40mm aluminum injector blocks. I like to leave a little more aluminum around the valve guide then you did to help transfer a little more heat out of the valve guides and valve stems into the heads.
I cut little pieces of vacuum hose and pushed them on to the valve guides to protect them while doing the work.

These heads have been on my motor for a couple years and it all works real good. The porting only makes more power up top if more fuel is injected with the additional air that can flow into the combustion chambers.
Bigger intake ports slows down intake air velocity so you may have to richen up the AFR a little bit in the midrange to avoid having flat spots or surging during around town part throttle acceleration speeds.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
Hi Jim,
thank you for your feedback.

I am very familiar with the work you did on your 930 heads....your post provided much inspiration, motivation and guidance before I attempted this myself (refer to my post #48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa P View Post
......Valve guides protected with plastic tubing as per Jim Fairman's post
made some more aluminum dust.........
I agree with your view regarding leaving enough material around the valve guides. The photo of the inlet port (refer post #49) still has the plastic tubing around the valve guide. At a glance, it appears that I have removed material right up against the valve guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa P View Post

Here are some pics with the tubing removed:

....In fact I was very paranoid to not remove too much around the valve guides. If this area becomes too thin, it could cause problems in future when you need to replace the valve guides! (cracking etc).

I have decided to go with a 37mm size inlet port.....large enough to improve breathing but not too large to sacrifice low-mid range. Ironically, this size was a result of the max port size limit on the plastic CIS blocks....which I dont plan to use anymore!

My ports were cut in a milling machine. I only blended the transition by hand. I didnt have that much material to remove, which is why I was able to cut dry and not have trouble clogging the tool.

In your case, you had to open them up from dia 32mm to dia 40mm....thats quite alot of material to be removed. Which explains the need for WD40, scraping the flutes of the burr etc etc

Lastly, very valid points regarding the adjustments required to the AFR.
Which is why, very early on, I made the strategic move to upgrade to EFI

Old 11-26-2016, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Hi Costa! Love all the old race car photos, thanks for sharing.
You're making progress, friend. Slippery slope? Yup, head over heals down that hill, grinder in hand. :-)
One heads-up: don't forget to un-shroud that 2nd spark plug hole, make it a mirror-image of the original one.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 12-01-2016, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
Hey Chris,

Thank you for all the assistance, you have really helped me to build momentum on this project
Also thank you for the heads up regarding the 2nd spark plug hole.....unfortunately I didnt have a chance to implement your recommendation

I had already handed the heads back to Ronald at Cafe 9, so that we could finish assembling the engine.........and implement some other last minute upgrades (AKA further tumbling down that hill!).

But more of that in a moment....
Old 12-07-2016, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
December Progress

The progress made over the last few weeks summarised in photos:

1) Rocker Arms
  • The arms were re-bushed and reamed to size.
  • I have purchased new rocker shafts since the old ones were quite badly worn.
  • Lastly, I hand lapped the rocker pads to freshen up the surface and remove all wear marks from their previous stint.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Results after 2000grit (dry)

Before everyone bombards me with their concerns:
  • What about the profile?
  • What about the surface hardness?
  • What if the surface isn’t true with the cam?

For those of you that don't know me, I suffer from OCD (Spenny, you are not alone mate).

a) I did the lapping myself, paying particular attention to how I held the rocker in my hands, while lapping the pad over a single sheet of water paper, against a flat granite surface (AKA kitchen counter…..my wife is still upset with me). The trick is to apply light pressure while making slow, complete strokes from heel to toe of the rocker pad (Rawknees….BEHAVE!) Careful to not favour lapping a small area, but always the whole pad. Careful to keep the pad true against the granite.
I spent approximately 30-40min per rocker. Starting with 800grit (dry), proceeding to 1200grit(dry), 2000grit (dry) and finally 2000grit (wet).

It is a slow process which requires lots of patience. With the 800grit, you gradually remove material until the old wear marks are completely gone (Note: The rocker pads were in good shape to start with). The 1200 and then 2000 gives you the required surface smoothness. The 2000 (wet) gets rid of the visible marks and leaves the mirror-like finish.

b)Very little material was removed (ie. compared to grinding by stone). I am confident that the original surface treatment/hardness is more than deep enough.

c) The final proof that all was ok, was achieved be spraying marking blue on all the rockers and turning it over a couple of time to inspect the contact. All rocker pads and lobes made correct contact across their full width.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
December Progress

2) Long Block

Old 12-07-2016, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
December Progress

3) .....Tumbling further down that slope....

a) Buy the throttle body conversion kit from TK to add the TPS.
b) Then proceed to research prices for the required idle control valve.
c) Calm down after initial panic (prices not cheap!).
d) Decide to rather spend the money "wisely"......

Spenny, I really liked your method implementing the ethrottle......the search is on to find the appropriate BOSCH/AUDI item
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-mbe-engine-management-9.html#post7145659

Anyone interested to buy a brand new 930 TPS kit FS?

Old 12-07-2016, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Hey Costa, just caught up with your thread (been off-forum the last few months, as you know) - Nice!

Completely humbled, don't think I've ever been mentioned in anyone elses build log, haha!

Sub'd (as the kids say these days)
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
On Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_.b #spennybengineproject
Old 12-14-2016, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
End 2016 - Progress Report

Minor update to reflect on the progress achieved by the end of 2016 - Cafe9 has finished assembling my motor and we are back home again:

I must tell you that I was extremely amused at the sight of the fan through the back window of the wife's ix35!

Pity I covered it with bubble wrap while I was on the road. At one stage driving home, I found myself chuckling like kid, when I noticed a long hood 911 happened to be following me. I was picturing myself following this ix35 with what looked like an air cooled six clearly visible through the back window! (...the things that amuse me!)

My garage was an embarrassing mess (as is visible from the above photo)
I have spent the greatest part of my December holiday cleaning up and sorting out the garage.

I aim to finish cleaning out the rest of the garage during this coming weekend. No more embarrassing cr@p......I will then be happy to show off an overall view/picture

Happy 2017 to everyone

Old 01-04-2017, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: