Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cam Box Flange Question

I went to clean the cam boxes from my 964 today...
Whilst they weren't very leaky before I pulled the motor, the surfaces are quite eroded...

Not sure what to do here... will it be OK with some sealant? And advice appreciated...

Old 09-18-2016, 01:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I ended up having a crack on the wet and dry, on the coffee table!
Not sure how far to go.. It seems I need to go quite a lot longer..

Old 09-18-2016, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Wow, good job, Heck I didn't even do that, just brass wire brushed it and put it back together, no leaks so far

I will do it on the top end re-build though.

I think the main trick is proper gradual torque.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 09-18-2016, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I use my belt sander to do the same thing.

Just as soon as its uniformly shiny on all the sealing surfaces, you are good to go.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 09-18-2016, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies.. so I have a LOT more sanding to go.. not sure why the surface was corroded though..

Plan is to use threebond 1211 on the o-rings to seal effectively to the cam box as there is surface corrosion in that area too... good idea?
Old 09-18-2016, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Corroded because it's magnesium. Magnesium tries to return itself back to the earth much faster than the heavier aluminum.

Tip for sanding progress like that is to color it with a sharpie marker and you can watch your progress that way. It's a good way to confirm you're done and no need to keep on going!
Old 09-19-2016, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

These parts do seem to move around over time-like all castings but I would first check
preferably on a surface plate but short of that-the glass coffee table top will work pretty
well to tell you how far out of flat they are. The ringed factory gasket will tolerate around .010"
off and anything less than that all you really need to do is remove any loose scale/oxidation
from the surface to insure a leak free part. These things are soft and need to be treated carefully.
It's very easy to ruin the flatness with any kind of overly aggressive methods.
97 Van dieman F2000-gone but not forgotten
30 plus years of rebuilding services
Old 09-25-2016, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

granite kitchen counter tops are also very flat. glass table tops tend to flex sometimes. I learned that the hard way with my glass patio table that turned out not to be so flat.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue

Last edited by Ken911; 09-27-2016 at 01:57 PM..
Old 09-27-2016, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

you use gaskets and orings for these locations so cleaning them up is all you really need, dont need engineering blue tolerances.
2014 Audi A4 2.0T Technik (Audi Support Vehicle)
Old 10-03-2016, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: