Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

QSC pistons camshaft options

Quick question all, do QSC pistons have adequate clearance for high lift cams, or must CIS cams be used? I see QSC does not have valve pockets so my answer was no but I want to be certain.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I don't think you'll find anyone here with a lot of experience with QSC pistons. I do know that AA offers a number of options that include JE forged pistons, some with high compression domes with significant valve relief pockets.

May I suggest you provide a lot more information about what you want to build. Going with high lift cams brings a whole different set of concerns besides fitment. You may be stepping right out onto that proverbial slope and when you start with QSC parts, I might be wrong but I don't think this is an unlimited budget build.
06 Kaw KLR-650A
10' Madone 5.2/17' Lynskey ProCross
Old 09-21-2016, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
The issue with QSC is that they don't have hands on experience with their products.
In the early days of QSC, I offered them advise (in response to their inquires) and tested many of their products.
My experience is that they ignore experienced based, real world information.
Many of their products are also labeled incorrectly. Another example of their lack of expertise.
Some of their products are cost effective and reasonable quality but it's a challenge to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 09-21-2016, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I know of at least one forum member that used QSC cylinders in his rebuild. I believe it was Laprikis (sp) ?
Old 09-21-2016, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharbert View Post
I don't think you'll find anyone here with a lot of experience with QSC pistons. I do know that AA offers a number of options that include JE forged pistons, some with high compression domes with significant valve relief pockets.

May I suggest you provide a lot more information about what you want to build. Going with high lift cams brings a whole different set of concerns besides fitment. You may be stepping right out onto that proverbial slope and when you start with QSC parts, I might be wrong but I don't think this is an unlimited budget build.
Not my build guys. A local guy I run with at Road Atlanta asked about 'those cheap pistons/cylinders on ebay' to which I replied I have zero idea with them having no valve pockets what cam one could use with them. With how reasonable JE shelf pistons are for these things it's a no brainer to me. If someone were tearing their engine down every season it might be worth running for funzies

I try not to knock Chinese stuff too much because most of our road cars, Toyota, Honda, Kia, Hyundai, the list goes forever, are indeed running many internal rotating components, including pistons, from you got it, China. That said, I'm sure specifications are much more tightly controlled by those manufacturers where a small order is 200,000 pistons.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Cr@pcan Rescuer

Garage
On a different note what a cool source for hot rod VW stuff!
Old 09-21-2016, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: