Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered abuser

Garage
Double up?

Is it advised to use two washers when bolting the heads down ? It seems the new steel studs are a tad longer and I would like to have more to bite on. 2.7 build
Old 03-07-2018, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Did you set the stud height when installing them? When set properly, you only need one washer.
IG: Signature_911
Old 03-07-2018, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

135mm is the installed height here for the studs.

I think guys should always throw away those barrel nuts that take a hex. Use a flange nut with the right thread. Those take one socket smaller size than a regular nut of the same thread size, and the socket will fit down the hole in the fins.

That way you never end up with the stud top pushing the Allen out of the socket before you get the torque you are aiming for. And you don't find that you have rounded off the very tip top of the hex and can't back the barrel nut off if you want to remove it.

Is the nut in the photo torqued?
Old 03-07-2018, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Fricke View Post
I think guys should always throw away those barrel nuts that take a hex. Use a flange nut with the right thread. Those take one socket smaller size than a regular nut of the same thread size, and the socket will fit down the hole in the fins.
Walt,

I think that's a great tip... do you use flange nuts w/flat or serrated bottoms as replacements?

Tom
Old 03-08-2018, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom '74 911 View Post
Walt,

I think that's a great tip... do you use flange nuts w/flat or serrated bottoms as replacements?

Tom
You'd need flat. The serrated would effect torque. Not a good thing when doing torque, then degree.
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 03-08-2018, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Fricke View Post

That way you never end up with the stud top pushing the Allen out of the socket before you get the torque you are aiming for. And you don't find that you have rounded off the very tip top of the hex and can't back the barrel nut off if you want to remove it.
You know, that is a great idea. I may do that too.
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 03-08-2018, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

If you look, I found the flange nuts with 15 mm shoulders, a lot easier with smaller socket.
Bruce
Old 03-08-2018, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
$6 for 24 of the zinc plated class 10 nuts from Belmetric. Or you can get a bag of 50 nuts from McMaster for $9

https://www.belmetric.com/flat-bottom-flange-nut-c-3_48_1592_59_1294/nffh10ylw-flange-nut-smooth-yellow-zinc-cl10-p-7760.html?zenid=h4e75mrrbt6fo8p1k86eesade2
Past: '87 Carrera "The Unicorn"
Old 03-08-2018, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered abuser

Garage
I did measure the height but the book says 135 to 137 is within spec Ollies did my case. Still I had a difficult time getting the height under 137 rather than fight it I'll change the nuts! Thanks for all the help I'll post up when I get there
Old 03-08-2018, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I hadn't considered whether to use serrated base flange nuts or flat base ones. I know the ones I bought to use on a couple of engines are flat base - I looked in my stock of spares.

But Henry Schmidt supplies serrated base ones with his Supertec studs - I looked at some of those awaiting rebuilding of another of my motors. Those are the studs with a fine rather than a coarse thread at the cylinder head end. Henry seldom does something just by accident, so he may have examined this question and reached a reasoned conclusion. Plus he's sold a lot of these stud kits, and if serrated bases were a problem in this application, he'd have learned about it.

I'd not think that the serration would help prevent the nut from backing off - the thick washer is hardened steel too. If the serrations resist being tightened, I agree you might end up with less than the torque you thought you had if you just use a wrench. Though on the other hand if the serrations actually grab when being tightened, the washer could still move and you might get the stretch you want. Stretch is the goal here, but it is hard (impossible?)to measure compared with rod bolts.

Then again, if the serrations collapse a bit under the tension imposed, I can see how that might affect the torque plus degrees approach Porsche recommends.

But I put this into the category of something I'm not going to worry about. I've never had either type get loose, nor had a head to cylinder seal fail due to lack of clamping force.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
Just something interesting:

Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered abuser

Garage
Those nord locks look amazing 10 mm pre gluded halfs a package of 6 - 24.99
Old 03-10-2018, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: