Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglepore View Post
I'm sure there is more to the story, but I really think its disrespectful to speculate.
Point taken....and I mean no disrespect to the Doctor....it's tragic regardless the cause. But that speed and knowing the area just a bit has caused me to do just that...human nature or PPOT....it's what we do
Old 07-02-2018, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

One wonders where the police got the estimate of the vehicle speed, so quickly. If indeed he was attempting to negotiate the on ramp, and that speed would seem to be ludicrous for such an attempt, perhaps he wasn't actually going that fast....

I have a friend who's had a succession of Porsches, his latest is a recent turbo. His favorite corner in town is a ramp that goes from one freeway to another, which he regularly negotiates at north of 100 miles an hour. Fast enough to make a big mess, were he to go off the road, but nowhere near 150.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielDudley View Post
There is no way I could be convinced that anyone could accidentally wind up going 150 MPH ever. The odds are incredibly slim. There would have to be a lot of pressure on the pedal, and the car would have to stay on the road as if guided. Was this car capable of that ? I suppose some are.

Drugs, sure. Suicide, sure. ''some other sudden episode'', we should give the guy the benefit of the doubt? Forensics is required.
That is your opinion.

I'm just saying a well funded lawyer might be able to get expert witnesses to testify that certain possible medical conditions are responsible, and not the driver's willful actions, and another expert with data supporting the odds no matter how slim that someone not in a F1 car could survive a 150 mph crash if only the air bags were working.

The run away car theory because of faulty electronics or software would also be beaten about to be sure.

FYI: my understanding of the law is that it is assumed an incident/accident victim is presumed to want to live and was NOT interested in committing suicide. This issue cannot be beaten about in the courtroom unless there is clear evidence like a note or audio recording expressing intent.

So far people posting are claiming the victim was thrown from the vehicle and killed, and cut out of the vehicle still alive....................both could not of happened. Early news reports are notoriously flawed, speculation at this point in time is just speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post
Weird things can happen. I'm not going to judge based solely on the news story.
A few years ago I had been driving for about 8 hours straight when I began to feel lightheaded. I had my little chihuahua with me in a dog crate. I got off the highway, got a motel room, and went to sleep on the bed. I woke up about an hour later with my dog still in her crate on the bed next to me. I have no memory whatsoever of anything that happened between the time I started feeling lightheaded and the time I woke up. I don't know what I did or how I got checked into a room.
I went out to the van and found my car keys lying on the ground and the driver's door wide open. Good thing I stopped in a good neighborhood.
The doctor's conclusion was that after sitting so long a blood clot formed in my leg and went to my brain. He told me never to drive more than 2 hours without getting out of the car and walking around for a few minutes.
Thank you for the information, despite what some may claim not all blood clots are fatal, and there are several types, at least according to the article below.

5 Blood Clot Facts Doctors Wish Every Patient Knew

https://www.everydayhealth.com/news/5-blood-clot-facts-doctors-wish-every-patient-knew/
Quote:
Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) symptoms ..........................

Pulmonary embolism (PE) symptoms......................
Can someone here do the math on a modern 911 going from 75 mph to 150 mph?

Exactly what length of time are we looking at?

Looks to be a non-turbo model from what I can see of the engine.
George, Architect
Old 07-02-2018, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
At what speed due air bags become ineffective? Do high speed cars need a higher level of air bag?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 07-02-2018, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Reagarding speed, vehicle ecu. Routine in investigations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 07-02-2018, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by URY914 View Post
At what speed due air bags become ineffective? Do high speed cars need a higher level of air bag?
I found this.............

https://www.quora.com/Above-what-speed-will-airbags-no-longer-effectively-protect-the-passengers
Quote:
Government safety standards test airbags at 35 MPH using a belted dummy crashing into an immovable barrier - the "ideal" crash scenario. The general understanding is that crash protection is still afforded at higher speeds but effectiveness diminishes very quickly above the test speed.
A lawyer going after Porsche for airbags not going off at 150 mph would be like a lawyer in a motorcycle incident going after the helmet manufacturer.

The motorcycle may have been doing +100 mph, the helmet might of cracked, the riders head could have come off even, but is any of that going to stop a lawyer from attempting to load a jury with easily manipulated jurors and trying to make a buck for the widow?

This is interesting........................not sure if it's related to the good doctor's car though.

5 Things to Know about the Turbocharged 2017 Porsche 911
http://www.automobilemag.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-the-2017-porsche-911/
Quote:
Punch the button in the dial’s center (if your car has the PDK twin-clutch gearbox, that is), and it works effectively as a racing-inspired “push-to-pass” feature: Suppose you’re cruising at 50 mph in sixth gear, in comfort mode, and you decide to overtake the car in front. Rather than downshifting and modifying your drive mode, one touch of the button puts the 911 into the appropriate gear and engine setting for its best possible acceleration, for 20 seconds.
Not sure about the accuracy of the below...................but it takes less than 20 seconds to get to 150 mph.

http://fastestlaps.com/tests/grtpa6e2nfa2
Quote:
Porsche 911 Carrera S 0 - 150 mph

Porsche 911 Carrera S will accelerate from 0 to 150 miles per hour in 18.5 seconds.
So, if the doctor was doing 75 mph and pushed the button, in about 10 seconds (a guess) he would be doing 150 mph?

I know nothing about these newer cars or this feature.

Someone with first hand knowledge about this please chime in.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/13-cool-facts-about-the-2017-porsche-911/
Quote:
12. Push to Pass/BMW Mode

2017-Porsche-911-Carrera-S-in-motion

Remember the Sport Response button? It’s mounted smack in the middle of the drive mode selector dial. Here’s what it does. Push it, and Sport Plus is activated for 20 seconds. This means that the PDK drops to the lowest available gear, the engine revs climb, and turbo boost is maximized. Then you can blow around the Prius doing 56 mph the fast lane with ease. Hallelujah.
George, Architect

Last edited by kach22i; 07-02-2018 at 06:08 AM..
Old 07-02-2018, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglepore View Post
Reagarding speed, vehicle ecu. Routine in investigations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get that, but it's awfully fast to have that information.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
What’s That Knob On The New 911 Steering Wheel Do Anyway?
What's That Knob On The New 911 Steering Wheel Do Anyway? | FLATSIXES
Quote:
The little button in the middle of the mode switch is the Porsche Sport Response Button (PSRB), and it makes you a driving God for 20 seconds. All it takes is a little press of the button. Porsche doesn't really get into the technical 'how' of the button, but they have said that when you press the button, the drivetrain is set up for maximum acceleration for a time period of 20 seconds. When you press the Sport Response button, the PDK gearbox will automatically select the right gear for accelerating, and the turbochargers are allowed to overboost. Porsche makes no claims on horespower or torque increases during the overboost period, but the car certainly feels faster in the 'seat-of-the-pants' sense. We had a chance to test the button out when passing slower traffic, and it works wonders. Kick down a few gears, boost the power, and you're instantly past what was formerly a rolling roadblock.

I don't think that middle button makes you a driving God, but it could help you meet God a little sooner than you planned, just say'n.

I would actually like to be the lawyer on this one now, frack I bet that I could clean up.

None of the articles I posted tell me how to disengage the 20 second timer, I would assume all it takes is a tap of the brakes like cruise control. If that were to malfunction or the timer got locked on, panic would ensue.............where was that start/stop button again?

NOTE: The photo above shows a key/fob, not a start/stop button.
George, Architect

Last edited by kach22i; 07-02-2018 at 06:17 AM..
Old 07-02-2018, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

It looks like the sporty button doesn't actually accelerate, it just gives you more boost and drops down to a lower gear. You still have to stomp the pedal yourself. So if you accidentally push it, you just let off and slow way down.

Either way, I don't think it's likely that he was going 150 accidentally, but I'm sure it's possible. Unfortunately, we'll probably never know, and neither will his wife and kids.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 07-02-2018, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
It looks like the sporty button doesn't actually accelerate, it just gives you more boost and drops down to a lower gear. You still have to stomp the pedal yourself. So if you accidentally push it, you just let off and slow way down.

Either way, I don't think it's likely that he was going 150 accidentally, but I'm sure it's possible. Unfortunately, we'll probably never know, and neither will his wife and kids.
That sounds sane.

Those article don't do a very good job of explaining that.
George, Architect
Old 07-02-2018, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Has foul play been ruled out yet? The "distraught" wife, when interviewed, seemed to plant the seed of possible suicide.....hmmmmm......how can you booby trap an accelerator cable to go full steam and then stay stuck in the on position (and disable the airbags) ?
No cable on these cars.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
No cable on these cars.
Can the software be messed with?

Are these cars constantly being updated like our computers and cell phones?

Ever notice that some automatic software upgrades are reissued the very next day to fix the previous days errors?

Weren't some of the Jeep models in the news a few years ago because their systems could be hacked?
George, Architect
Old 07-02-2018, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

White and Nerdy

Garage
Geebuz.

A button that shifts the gears and loads ECU maps for potential use of flank speed is not a "full throttle for twenty seconds".

For those that don't know, I make lights, and have worked on many systems for high speed photography, including two major crash testing installations in the U.S.

The seat belt is designed to resist motion for the air bag to deploy, if seat belt is not buckled then a driver will hit the air bag as the air is exploding. That airbag explodes with bone crunching lethal force.

Airbags do not deploy if no seat belt is connected.

It is also possible that past a certain velocity/weight of passenger the seat belt would not be able to restrain a body from making contact with the dangerous expanding air bag, and above that velocity/weight the air bag should not deploy.

Even with all the latest safety equipment high velocity into the forests can be very very fatal. Two teens died on my road driving a Honda. The tree has started to heal now, the scars of where the car hit the tree is less obvious.

When race cars crash at 150MPH, there is generally a barrier of tires, or "safer barrier", the crash typically hits an object designed as part of a crash system in addition to the car itself.

When those doesn't happen, well, look at the fatal Aston Martin crash at Le Mans not to long ago, a "safe" race car hit a tree.

URY914, air bag deployment can take into account a calculation of distance of occupant from the deployment zone of the air bag and deployment time of air bag. If the two would intersect there would not be an air bag deployment.

Air bag deployment is also subject to direction of force.

Last edited by Tervuren; 07-02-2018 at 07:14 AM..
Old 07-02-2018, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
FYI, Throttle by wire have multiple sensors, and if it gets an inconsistent reading between them it cuts the throttle.

Throttle by wire failure results in dead throttle, not full throttle.

Just for those that don't know.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
non-whiner

The tps is built into the accelerator pedal and has at least three redundancies to ensure inaccurate position signals are not sent to the throttle body and ecu and as stated above, the button does nothing but prepare the engine parameters to optimize acceleration when you push the accelerator pedal. Also, it stays engaged for up to 20 seconds or until you release the throttle pedal, which ever comes first.

Last edited by mreid; 07-02-2018 at 06:59 AM..
Old 07-02-2018, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
An air bag's sensors can respond to a 35 mph accident but +135 mph is stupid fast. Like nano-nano second fast.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 07-02-2018, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Band.

Send a message via AIM to Gogar
I wasn't trying to suggest with my push button post that this accident was some full-throttle problem,

I just think i had recently read the BMW "my car won't slow down" article and was probably looking for a reason to talk about how to turn your push button car off if you don't know and you're an imbecile, like the person in the article. I think there's a lot of people out there who don't know or just are too stupid to think about it. For car guys it's not much of an issue.
1973 Honda CB350F
Old 07-02-2018, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogar View Post
I wasn't trying to suggest with my push button post that this accident was some full-throttle problem,

I just think i had recently read the BMW "my car won't slow down" article and was probably looking for a reason to talk about how to turn your push button car off if you don't know and you're an imbecile, like the person in the article.
Nothing wrong with enlightening people about the push button hold to turn off, or to reach under the throttle and pull back/unjam.

The time I shut the Jaguar off I had pulled the floor matt back, gone around a corner, re-accelerated, and it was stuck again. I didn't realize how they were interacting so thought it perhaps wasn't the floor matt(it still was).

When I got out of the car later and looked at how it got stuck I understood better.

Once shut down, the car won't start up with throttle down. So I'm stuck over a crest hill on a 55MPH road that people drive 65MPH+ and feeling very vunrable being at a dead stop. Was not thinking clearly for sure.

With how heavy cars can be, a very good thing to do is in a wide open space find out how the steering feels without power steering.

Go through a system to rob the power brakes of their assist boost using a slope and power off, find out how well the brakes work if the assist wasn't there.

There are some vehicles people of "normal" local fitness around here the driver would not be able to steer or stop in reasonable amount of time.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Band.

Send a message via AIM to Gogar
"normal local fitness" I like that!
1973 Honda CB350F
Old 07-02-2018, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tervuren View Post
There are some vehicles people of "normal" local fitness around here the driver would not be able to steer or stop in reasonable amount of time.
Even if you are of "normal" local fitness, you have to weigh enough to get the job done.

I remember back when I was a young man, and not even 130 lbs lifting myself out of the bench seat of a 1968 F-150. Everything was manual and trying to turn the wheel sharply at low speed took everything - had to put my body into it, it was like gym class.

Nowadays one can steer a full sized truck with their little finger.............unless like you say the power goes out.
George, Architect

Last edited by kach22i; 07-02-2018 at 08:36 AM..
Old 07-02-2018, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: