Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

I can’t imagine our recent homes built here in the USA lasting 200 years.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
daepp and TinT, my initial estimate was for a foundation as per building ie 2ft/0.6m wide x 3.3ft/1m deep

VV, remind me to post up a pic of the neighbours boundary wall which is a dry stone wall ie no mortar/cement holding it together

Big day today had a digger dude and small digger on site this morning and dug out the footings

As I suspected foundations were just a layer or two of large stones, so digging was easy up to the point we hit rock. On one side we stopped at 1.5ft/0.5m, the other sides ranged from 2.5ft/0.75m to full depth 3.3ft/1m. I'd already talked to the inspector and he was ok for me to stop rather than dig deeper and remove stone to replace it with cement

This afternoon, a great big truck arrived to take away another 20 tons of my property, still got another 10-12 tons to go tomorrow, bringing the grand total of 165 tons of earth.stone/rubble removed and no cave in sight

This afternoon was hard work Mrs. Ahab and I cutting in the edges of the footings and clearing up some undug corners with a spade to make everything a bit neater. Our builder attacked an old drainage concrete lump with a demolition hammer.

A quick recalculation of how much concrete is needed, glad to say only 282 cubic ft should do it, still needs two trucks though, not sure how much concrete is in the US but I'm paying $4 cubic ft or £102 cubic meter including tax and delivery, seems pretty good value to me
Old 07-10-2018, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

2500 PSI concrete (a basic mix) runs around $70-$75 + 9% tax per cubic yard here. Or about $2.5 per cubic foot.

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 07-10-2018, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daepp View Post
2500 PSI concrete (a basic mix) runs around $70-$75 + 9% tax per cubic yard here. Or about $2.5 per cubic foot.
Damn, everything is more expensive here, UK is an expensive place to live, no wonder none of us can afford a good dentist or fridge to chill our beers
Old 07-10-2018, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Thats a lot of material! I think the earth's rotation just shifted a few degrees. My place is mostly sand, so lots more digging but it goes quickly.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
Thats a lot of material! I think the earth's rotation just shifted a few degrees. My place is mostly sand, so lots more digging but it goes quickly.
Not finished removing material just yet

Building inspector dude visited yesterday, left me with a good news, bad news, good news sandwich.

Good news, he signed off my foundation digging, I even swept the bottom out so he could see all the rock we had hit

Bad news, I'm going to shift the earth's rotation a few more degrees as he didn't like the original slab which we planned to lay the new slab on. All of it has got to come up and any loose rubble underneath too. Then replaced with packed hardcore Another couple of days, one more 20 ton grab truck and another $500 and we should be back on track.

Good news, I'll gain a a few extra inches of height in my garage which may allow me to sprinkle some F1 magic on the ceiling

Concrete truck should be here early tomorrow morning and we are ready for the big pour of the foundations

Extending an old building is never straight forward as your uncovering centuries of previous building work. When we extended the back of our house years ago I uncovered a dry stone water well (nearly fell down it while hanging onto a demolition hammer) it was about 4ft diameter and only about 14ft deep, was originally probably around 60-80ft deep but had been filled in with rubble.

It was dead centre on our foundation trench so instead of filling it in we made a feature of it. The front door should have been central so we shunted it over to the right and built a semi-circular wall around the half of the well that was outside the building foot print. This gave us a feature very in keeping with other houses in the village as the same style of semi-circular bulge is for an internal bakers oven. Spent ages cutting the roof tiles, still need to climb down into it to add some spot lights and a have glass cover panel cut.

The way they used to build dry stone wells (no mortar, cement or mud used) is very cool, they build it from the bottom up. Start by digging down 2-3ft, then hammer in a radial array of steel pegs which the stone is built up on, keep repeating until you hit water
Old 07-12-2018, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Autumn in his heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr View Post
Building inspector dude visited yesterday, left me with a good news, bad news, good news sandwich
The good news is your thread. I enjoy the details and your telling.

Thanks!

Kitchen clean.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr View Post

"Ride a cockhorse to Banbury cross, to see a fine lady..." ?
Old 07-12-2018, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
Seahawk, thanks

tcar, there is a cross in Banbury and a lady on horse too

Forgot to show a picture of our neighbors dry stone wall, built without any mortor/cement, the digger dude had a steady hand as one knock with the bucket and I'd have some extra building work to do

Steel rods were a neat touch from our builder, basically the top ends are all level so its easy to make sure everything is level

Really good feeling to be adding stuff rather than more taking away

daepp, this is for you!

Concrete truck arrived this morning, all the way from London 107 miles away quite a trick set up, ballast/gravel in the front compartment, dry cement in a separate rear compartment and an on board water tank too

Ballast/gravel drops onto a centre belt that moves it to the truck end of the pouring chute, cement drops in there from above and water is added. A big screw mixes it all up and feeds it down the pouring chute. Operator can tweak the mix as required and there is a metering sensor so I only got charged for what we used which was 10.15 cubic meters or in old money 358 cubic ft

From parking the truck to driving off it was all done in an hour, much easier than wheel barrowing back and forth.

Giving myself the day off on Sun. to go to Goodwood Festival of Speed

Next week will be a busy week as I'd like to have the reinforced floor slab finished
Old 07-13-2018, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
That is a neat setup for concrete. I have never heard of something like that truck.

We had a “scaredy hole” or tornado shelter put in the floor of my garage. Underground is the only safe place in a F5 tornado.
Anyway, two guys showed up, cut the concrete, and used a small backhoe to remove the old slab where the pit was going to go. He was a master, the arm came around and was just under the raised garage door by 6 inches. Scoop up, rotate and dump. The hole was dug, the concrete bed was poured, the steel box lowered, and the box as lined with concrete in short order. They did two per day. I just watched and wrote a check.
It is neat to watch men at work that flat know their job, and do it well.
Nothing like your new man cave, but my only up close and personal brush with a concrete truck.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 07-13-2018, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
Rest day done, had an excellent day at Goodwood FOS, celebrating 75 years of Porsche, great event, so much to see, smell and hear.

Back on it tomorrow, got a lot to get through this week
Old 07-15-2018, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
"farking Porsche hero"

Garage
This is a cool build. I might have missed it, but how is the new space different from the old, apart from being structurally sound?
'66 911 #303872
'07 Cayman
'58 Land Rover S2 88"
Old 07-16-2018, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lambert View Post
This is a cool build. I might have missed it, but how is the new space different from the old, apart from being structurally sound?
Thanks, the new space will be very different space and hopefully much improved too

I'll let my updates do the explaining as it isn't going to be a straight forward build of a replacement single story garage
Old 07-16-2018, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Thats pretty clear with the huge pizza oven/shed
Old 07-16-2018, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
OK, end of another busy and productive week, aim of this week to have the concrete floor slab poured, did it with plenty of time to spare

Last 20 tons of old garage waiting for collection, brings the total of rubble/earth removed to 105 tons for this part of the man cave build, add that to the earth removed for the shed makes it over 200 tons

Ground prepared and 2nd building inspection, signed off with no problems.

Radon gas trap built, it is vented externally to the building with a 4" pipe, this is a requirement for this part of the country, pretty pointless as far as I can tell

3rd load of hardcore being delivered, real pain in the a$$ to shovel, 8 tons or 6" of compacted hardcore used for the base and then a covering of compacted sand to protect the damp proof membrane plastic sheeting for damage

Fitted the poo pipe and various services pipes (gas for cooker, oil for boiler, hot/cold water, electric and air line for shed fitted)

Went for two layers of 6mm dia., 200mm square spacing reinforcing steel mesh, one 2" above the base and one 2" below the top surface, way over the top spec. for a garage floor area but will allow me a degree of freedom when installing equipment later on

Area without reinforcing mesh has 3" or 75mm foam insulation which is for the utility room, can't have Mrs Ahab getting cold feet when she's out using the washing machine
Had 3rd building inspection at this stage, again no problems with sign off

Another 8.5 cubic meters or 159 cubic feet of concrete poured for the floor slab, our builder, Mrs Ahab and myself spread and leveled it in less than an hour, need to keep it quite dmap over the weekend to stop it cracking as we're having quite a heat wave over here this summer, first time this it's rained in weeks

Garage internally measures up at 21ft or 6.35m wide by 22ft or 6.75m deep, small by USA standards but as big as I can go, got square corners too unlike the rest of my house. Mrs Ahab will even have a nice sized utility room too, I just can't spoil her enough!

Old garage walls were 2ft or 600 mm thick, new walls will be 1ft or 300mm thick os I've got a lot of stone cutting ahead of me but I'm hoping the extra space I gain will make the extra time and effort worth it.

Really enjoying the physical side of this project but it is also a proper brain workout too as I'm using all my race car design experience to squeeze every last mm of space out of the old building foot print
Old 07-20-2018, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

I am really enjoying your build on the other side of the pond . Keep the updates coming !
Old 07-21-2018, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Autumn in his heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
I am really enjoying your build on the other side of the pond . Keep the updates coming !
Please do - and Mrs. Ahab is a player in my book!

Kitchen clean.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
So you had 200 tons of debris removed, using modern trucks and equipment. The obvious statement is that at some point with no modern equipment, over 200 tons was brought in buy human and horse power of real horses. I wonder how many men it took to bring in 200 tons? And to quarry it.

Cool build. Love the thread.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 07-21-2018, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Really enjoying the physical side of this project but it is also a proper brain workout too as I'm using all my race car design experience to squeeze every last mm of space out of the old building foot print
I really enjoy that part too. Still lots of room for improvement but I realized early on I had 1 shot for many things, it was a lot of stress at the time. Very cool you and the Mrs are working together.

Thanks for the updates, cool thread.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
Seahawk and VV, yes Mrs Ahab is a star, good fun to work with and puts up with a lot ie me

GH85Carrera, it's quite mind boggling thinking back to how they must have built it, 100 tons was ground removal but the other 100 tons must have taken a bit of effort to move

The stone didn't come from very far away as in the late 1800's there were a number of quarries outside of the village

A relatively relaxing weekend, a couple of 4hr return trips to buy some reclaimed oak beams which will be used for internal/external window lintels and internal window cills

Not worthy of the Craiglist Score thread but a real score for my build was finding these as old reclaimed oak is harder to come by now

Beams were 15ft x 16" wide x 4" thick before I cut them up to make transporting easier

Old 07-22-2018, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: