Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Wow Captain, what a great build. I just love the attention to detail and combining modern building methods and materials while keeping the look period-correct. Like well set-up backdated 911....

As a concrete contractor, I'm overflowing with questions - I hope you don't mind?

Regarding the slab, you mentioned "no foundations." By that do you mean that you poured no footings? Here that slab would have at least a 12" X 12" solid concrete footing, both to carry the building's weight and to secure it to the soil to prevent any lateral movement. Are those non-issues there? Perhaps I'm just unaware of the construction methods incorporated in your design - always a possibility!

And when it comes to wheeling all that mud, are trailer pumps not a thing in the UK? Here we'd hire a guy and a pump for about $300 US. You are the MAN for wheeling that much concrete!

PS love the moss-covered roof!

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 07-05-2018, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Inside the red circle, is that a structural piece of steel, or some form of flashing to keep moisture off the beautiful beam that went beneath it? Is there an I-beam in there anywhere carrying the weight above the opening?

Can you describe what we're seeing inside the blue circles? In California we are concerned with seismic activity that would cause a wall to shear or snap during an earthquake. Is that not a concern whatsoever in Cotswald, or is it that we're just not seeing where the shear strength comes from. (As a reminder, I'm no structural engineer, and I've never poured a yard of concrete outside of So Cal, so that's my only basis for reference.)

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 07-05-2018, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

I, too, cannot wait to hear what this is for. Kayaks? Building materials like lumber?

Again, love the build, and I really appreciate you sharing it with us!

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 07-05-2018, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
^^^

A) Big ass pizza oven
B) Just to make the front look like a face
c) Not sure yet, but will think of something
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 07-05-2018, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Vincent Vega, thanks, I'm a details man too so glad you're finding it interesting

tevake, in the UK we don't enjoy the acreage you guys have with your houses so I've had to get imaginative. Height restrictions and the cost of digging a basement meant full height wasn't an option. The shed will be a 'do it all shed', welding, carbon fibre, gardening, spray shop, woodworking, engine building etc etc so I've added the space to store away tools, equipment, bits and bobs that are not needed for the project of the moment.

daepp, please ask away, correct no footings, I'm on very solid ground, if I dig down about another foot I hit rock, the slab is steel reinforced and very solid, I'm sure I could drag the whole thing if I don't like where it's positioned,

The steel beam is called a 'catnic lintel', it's folded galvanized structural steel beam

The hollow block is a temporary support to stop the steel lintel from tipping while the inner blockwork is built up. There is about a 6" wide support each end from the blockwork and stone.

We have no seismic, avalanche, wild fire or tsunami codes to adhere to but I'd gladly build to them if I could live by a Californian beach

911rod, after living in Italy for 7yrs a pizza oven is on my to do list

Now for the floor, as we went a block 9" higher to allow enough crawl space on my under floor storage area I had to scrimp a few inches here and there to keep the roof height to the original approved plans.

The floor joists were 2" x 9" but I cut them down to 6", this felt a bit bouncy so I screwed and glued an additional 2" x 4" to stiffen it all up as I plan to fit out quite a lot of stuff. Also had to add a couple of steps up from the outside door, these won't rob any floor space as I'll have work benches each side of the door.
The crap street wall art, won't be going on the wall, only grabbed it from work for the plywood sheeting

I'm too old for cold tootsies so the floor has 6" of high performance thermal insulation boards between the joists

The floor has 1/2" ply screwed on the lower side and the topside will have 2 layers of 1/2" ply screwed and glued with staggered joints. A bit overkill but as the finished flooring will be porcelain floor tiles I don't want any squeeks or cracked joints. Hole to the right will be a hatch to access the underfloor storage area

View at the opposite end to the end with the stone face, shows the natural render finish and a concrete area for a heating oil tank and work shop air compressor

Last edited by Captain Ahab Jr; 07-05-2018 at 02:39 PM..
Old 07-05-2018, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
This will be my last post about the shed for a while, even though it is unfinished I ran out of time and needed the space to empty all the crap out of my garage in preparation for it's demolition so I could start of the 2nd bigger part of my man cave build.

To secure the shed I knocked up and fitted some temporary plywood windows, making good use of my street art boards and recycled the garage side door.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Now for the meaty part of my man cave build

Our house like many in our hood doesn't have concrete foundations like new house builds but is built right on the ground or most likely in our case on rock. The walls are 2ft thick so the load is spread over a big enough area we don't suffer from subsidence.

If we were to build on top of our garage building control would want use to underpin which is both costly and time consuming.

So we made the decision to demolish the garage, this required planning approval which was straight forward as we are not changing the foot print and reusing the stone but added a 6 week delay while our application went through the planning system.

A before picture, for scale the building is 26.5ft x 16.5ft or in new money 8m x 5m, note the outline of an original door, the road was lower and people smaller back then

First job was to strip the roof tiles, didn't take Mrs Ahab and I long, I made up a shoot form old boards and a ladder. I ripped them off the roof and she stacked them around the yard to reuse on the new roof, took us a weekend of hard work to remove 4500 concrete tiles

As the garage is just built form stone and mud, same as our house, demolition was mostly by bare hands and the occasional hammer and chisel. This stage took a couple of part time weeks and full on weekends to get to this stage. Mrs. Ahab has to take most credit as I was sat in an AC'd office during the week

Here is a good view of a section through the walls, outer and inner course of stone work with loose rubble in the middle, good enough for the last +200 years and would have been good for another 200 years

Next post will bring progress up to date.

Last edited by Captain Ahab Jr; 07-08-2018 at 05:05 PM..
Old 07-08-2018, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

What a spectacular piece of work.

Appreciate the historic and architectural learning.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Yeah, that's some real DIY demo you are doing there. Let's hear a cheer for Mrs Ahab, what a trouper!

Nice look at the original building. Stone and mud you say, amazing. Stone masonry clearly goes way back in that area. And still is being done very well. Those cut corner stone facia are great.

Sure hope those old beams can be reused, thems some cool old timbers.
Are you going to be reusing the old stone also?

Thanks for sharing your cool project with us.

Cheers Richard
Old 07-08-2018, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
Wow. For years I’ve might have misunderstood the term “man cave”. To date; maybe I’ve only experienced the “man-hole”. My friends places are crap!

This is an amazing project!
Old 07-08-2018, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

So enjoying your unbuild/build - thanks for sharing Cap'n!

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 07-08-2018, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
My man cave build - UK edition

It is cool to see how it was built, and how well it is doing after 200 years. There is nothing in this area 200 years old except some trees. We have a couple of buildings from the late 1800s but not one from before 1860.
Those builders of your barn knew what they were doing and I bet not one computer was used to design it!

Cool project. Thanks for sharing.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 07-09-2018, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

So cool, please do keep up with the updates.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
It is cool to see how it was built, and how well it is doing after 200 years. There is nothing in this area 200 years old except some trees. We have a couple of buildings from the late 1800s but not one from before 1860.
Those builders of your barn knew what they were doing and I bet not one computer was used to design it!

Cool project. Thanks for sharing.
Haha - same here on the Left Coast. Oldest building we've got are usually the Missions, which were built in the last decade of 1700's - first decade of the 1800's. Not sure any of them have not fallen in earthquake here or there, but most have been preserved somewhat. I can't think of a single residential dwelling here that is 200 years old!

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 07-09-2018, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
astrochex, pleased your learning, I've learnt a lot myself on PPOT forum so will keep the historic architectural stuff coming, this is so not what I do for a living so I'm enjoying learning too
tevake, my resume lists 'Extreme DIY' as one of my hobbies Mrs Ahab is my guardian angel , year ago last weekend I was dead for 10 minutes, her first time CPR skills gave me a 2nd shot of living and I'm loving life!
Old beams will be used as fire wood, roof was only held up by the woodworms holding hands. Got plenty of old oak beam p0rn to show later. Most of the stone will be reused but I need to chop the width down.

daepp, will have some concrete p0rn for you soon, should have 425 cubic feet being delivered end of this week

onewhippedpup, thanks, will keep the updates coming as last week was my first week fulltime on the project. I quit my easy desk job designing race cars to be a self unemployed builder until my money runs out or I have the roof on, whichever comes first

GH85Carrera, thanks for reading,
Old is relative, when you guys were signing your deceleration of independence my house was probably being built, when Columbus discovered America my old family home was probably being built, there is a pub near my house which has been an inn since 947AD C.947AD - The Porch House and in the next village to me some dudes built a stone circle around 3800-3500BC The Rollright Stones

My poor truck took a bump when a bit of the garage wall fell on it, no real damage done, just has a little extra patina on one door

Going, going, nearly gone, last dumpster or in the UK we call it a skip ready for collection (the thing parked to the right of my truck ), that makes a total of 42 tons of wall infill/rubble taken down and moved by hand
Old 07-09-2018, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Holy smokes - 425 yards is a huge pour. Please tell me you've got a pump lined up??

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 07-09-2018, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
what? me worry?

Per the Capt'ns post

Quote:
425 cubic feet
That is just basically two 10 yard trucks.. I cant imagine a homeowner ordering 425 CY of concrete...On some of my jobs we do 1100 cy/day.. trucks coming a few mins apart all day long..
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 07-09-2018, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
Looks like a satisfying build!

I was fascinated by the history in Northern England when I was there 25 years ago.

Spent everyday visiting pubs and the 2nd thing I would ask the barkeep was how old is this place.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 07-10-2018, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 Rod View Post
Looks like a satisfying build!

I was fascinated by the history in Northern England when I was there 25 years ago.

Spent everyday visiting pubs and the 2nd thing I would ask the barkeep was how old is this place.
pm sent, cheers, Guy
Old 07-10-2018, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Great shot of the exterior wall. It always impresses me how older structures just keep going. Engineering docs? Bah, just add some stone and keep going!

I thought I uncovered some cool old bits during reno here, my house is from the 40's. Little did I know. Cool thread.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: