Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

"Cables: a whole other story "
~~~~~~~~~``
My previous system - to the one I now have - was a pair of Apogee Divas, the pre-amp and tuner (FM) from my AR Receiver, and two Lazarus power amps that would pass as welding rigs. The Divas wanted amperes.
An AR turntable, the arm of which was my own build with my own anti-skating device.
Cables.........
I got so sucked into the awesome sound of the Divas to the point where I bought silver cables from Sweden for $15/ft (20 years ago price).
Definitively "sucked in".

APOGEES FOR SALE - TRUE SOUND WORKS AUDIO, INC.
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View

Last edited by Don Ro; 07-12-2018 at 08:05 AM..
Old 07-12-2018, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Had a pair of bridged Hafler amps and his pre amp. They were a kit.I had a assembly party and finished them up in a 20 hour time frame. Worked perfectly for years. Have em boxed up in the attic.

Power went to two pair of Large Advent loudspeakers that were stacked.

Teac reel to reel and cassette. Kenwood turntable with Grado cartridge.

Sob rocked
Old 07-12-2018, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

My first "system" was two Dyna Stereo 70 tube amps (kits...$90 each) in mono, the pre from an AR Receiver, two AR 2ax's, and an AR turntable...Shure cartridge.
I worked swing shift for the gov't and a few of us would gather at my house at midnight, turn out all the lights and listen to music as loud as we wanted.
Those AR speakers would suck those St. 70's down so much that we'd watch the output tubes pulse and gasp.
Can this be real? $725 now for the St. 70 kit?
https://www.dynakitparts.com/shop/st-70-kit-120-vac/
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 07-12-2018, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Ro View Post
My first "system" was two Dyna Stereo 70 tube amps (kits...$90 each) in mono, the pre from an AR Receiver, two AR 2ax's, and an AR turntable...Shure cartridge.
I worked swing shift for the gov't and a few of us would gather at my house at midnight, turn out all the lights and listen to music as loud as we wanted.
Those AR speakers would suck those St. 70's down so much that we'd watch the output tubes pulse and gasp.
Can this be real? $725 now for the St. 70 kit?
https://www.dynakitparts.com/shop/st-70-kit-120-vac/
I would be so happy to have a pair of Dyna 70's!
RE:Altec A7's wife wants them gone but me... not so much (a story as old as the ages).
I'll PM ya Don to keep in touch in case wifey ever wins the battle

My dream amps would be a pair Carvin Silver 7's
Old 07-12-2018, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

"I'll PM ya Don to keep in touch in case wifey ever wins the battle "
~~~~~~~~~~~
Do.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

How 'bout some system selfies gents?

Here's mine, a very crappy pic and messy wiring

Old 07-12-2018, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Nice audio research unit!

My setup, purely analog.

Last edited by Ayles; 07-12-2018 at 09:35 AM..
Old 07-12-2018, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

ARC and VPI as well, very nice
Old 07-12-2018, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

I'll offer up my vintage Polk SDA 1.2s and the $700 bi-wire cables to anyone interested...need 1k watts into each to do 'em justice....and they freakin' rock . I'm keeping two smaller pairs though....I've still got one Carver 4.0t that I haven't fried (yet)...my house-rockin' daze are over...but not forgotten

My system was/is SS...but Carver fans know the 4.0t is a damn good SS version of the Carver Silver 7 amps.

I miss my "wall of sound"... but not enough to replace or fix the "blown up" Carvers in my closet .

Sorry for the hijack...
Old 07-12-2018, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

"Sorry for the hijack..."
~~~~~~~~`
Tis OK. You're among friends here.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
"Sorry for the hijack..."
~~~~~~~~`
Tis OK. You're among friends here.
Thanks Don!

....and before anyone thinks I'm rich or $tupid....I did NOT pay $700 for cables....a fraction of that
Old 07-12-2018, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

The stuff was still expensive, but I seldom bought anything new. Some great deals on the second hand market. And a lot of the stuff is so well built!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 07-12-2018, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

I used to be years ago.. now living on a budget I love whatever comes my way.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Is all I've got at this time. This looks messy...presently setting up Teak shelving to hold and organize components.
A modest system...not interested in going any further. This is my "spot".
- Martin Logan Theos ESL Bi-wire speakers.
- HSU 10" sub
- Two Carver Sunfire Load Invariant amps in mono. Bought on the used market. A horsepower per side.
- Marantz Mod. 2325 receiver. Bought on the used market. Love it. 51 lbs. Ugh!
- Marantz Mod. TT-15SW1 turntable
Never thought I'd pay $1,600 for a turntable/cartridge, but I've rediscovered vinyl.
- Harbor Freight work bench.
BTW, speaking of vinyl...an excellent LP for awesome dynamics is Ry Cooder's digital "Bop Til You Drop" album.
My Martin Logan ESL's just sparkle...and with wonderful stage from this album.
https://www.discogs.com/Ry-Cooder-Bop-Till-You-Drop/release/861775
YouTube sounds don't get close...but just an idea.

~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by Don Ro; 07-12-2018 at 11:36 AM..
Old 07-12-2018, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
I've been an audio enthusiast / hifi guy for over 2/3rds of my life. The term audiophile has taken a bit of a sour connotation in the last several years, so its not my favorite term.

Anyways, depending on your definition of high end: used/Heavily depreciated is the only sensible way to buy. Class AB amps, turntables, preamps, and to a large degree speakers havent improved much in the last few decades. Speakers probably have at the very high end due to improvement in computer modeling and test equipment. Also DSP controlled active speakers are really the state of the art but arnt heavily adopted for home use.

I have 15 year old dynaudio confidence speakers, 22 year old audio research tube preamp, a new bryston amp but it replaced a 12 year old one only to get more power, etc. I bought all this stuff at less than half of MSRP which puts you closer to 1/4 of new MSRP for comparable items since prices inflation. This stuff is still pretty close to state of the art.

One caveat with 20+ year old components is that you are at the point where Caps and sometimes potentiometers can fail and/or get noisy. In most cases these items with go 30+ years, but its not uncommon to have to recap power amps in this range. This can be expensive for big daddy hi current biased amps. I also advocate for new or at least more modern digital equipment.

Really the best bang for buck would be to leave your components alone (if functioning correctly and of sufficient power) and buy the best/baddest/your most preferred speakers from the discussed era.

Speakers, speaker placement, room acoustics and optimization are by far and away the most important elements.

Thanks for the confirmation and direction. What are some vintage speakers you would recommend? My preference is for clean and bright. Paid just $400 for the virtually new CM4s and really like them over some older Advents which were very warm.

I would like another P230 but the one I have is fine for the most part now.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

KC911 started it.
I'm on a Ry Cooder kick today. One of my all time favs. Dig it!!!
A YouTube comment:
solara clarke 9 months ago
"DId you see bomber JOE (Joe Boma???????)try to play this song?.....what a joke..he just tried to show off how fast he could play...this song is played with soul.........And Ry Cooder has his share.......and delivers it through his playing.....unlike other would be slide players......Amen..."
~~~~~~~~~
Old 07-12-2018, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun @ Tru6 View Post
Thanks for the confirmation and direction. What are some vintage speakers you would recommend? My preference is for clean and bright. Paid just $400 for the virtually new CM4s and really like them over some older Advents which were very warm.

I would like another P230 but the one I have is fine for the most part now.
what is your approximate budget? How loud do you like to listen and how far is the listening position from the speakers? Are you a "bass head"? Are you willing to pay extra for finely finished furniture grade cabinets or is a more utilitarian look acceptable?

Sorry, need a bit of info before offering what will be probably be a very highly biased opinion

My favorite speaker mft is Dynaudio, but they may be a bit laid back for you. You can get a 20ish year old set of PSB stratus gold or silver speakers for ~600 that are a bit more on the resolving side and would be a pretty big upgrade in my opinion. If you want really giant dynamic range I wouldent completely discount older Klipsch Heritage models (Quartet, Chorus, Forte), usually available in the 700-1000 range. Lots of good options from KEF as well. Dunlavy speakers from that era are big and ugly but fantastic. The Older Thiels might fit your tastes quite well also. For absolute clarity I think the Revel Ultima Salon 2s are the champs for speakers I have heard. They are also 20k new and 9k used. I am not sure if that clarity is in thier lower lines, but probably so. I think used Revel performa's can be had in the 1500 ish range from the last series. Should be fantastic speakers.

Anyways so many options, it is hard to narrow things down without some more constraints. My Buddy had similar medium range B&W CDM floorstanders. He upgraded to circa 2002 Dynaudio Contours and has been extremely satisfied with the change.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Thinking I might give these folks a call...just as soon as I win Powerball.

https://www.needledoctor.com/
Old 07-13-2018, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

least common denominator

Quote:

Note to self, need to get my old Marantz rebuilt! Any one know a good shop local to L.A. that refurbishes classic old recievers?

Don, what is the model on turntable please?
Old 07-13-2018, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

"Don, what is the model on turntable please?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Marantz Mod. TT-15SW1 turntable
From Music Direct...came with a high end cartridge ...the mod. # I don't recall.
I recall that I had a choice of two cartridges and I don't recall which one I chose.
Free shipping - $1,499 - just looked at invoice. 9/09/15.
www.musicdirect.com
https://www.musicdirect.com/turntables/marantz-tt-15-acrylic-turntable

Last edited by Don Ro; 07-13-2018 at 09:39 AM..
Old 07-13-2018, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: