Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New Harley

Yes, this will be in production in time for the 2020 model year. 975cc DOHC four valve water cooled sport bike. An adventure touring bike is supposedly in the works as well, but no firm production date.

"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 08-01-2018, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I think the first one looks hot. but then I had a 77 Café Racer so that's something I like.

Oh yeah, Trump won
Thank you Mr. Putin
Old 08-01-2018, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Good to see the diversity. I was at the HD Museum a year ago and saw the Nova V4. It was the AMF project started 42 years ago:

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2016/09/19/harley-davidsons-project-nova-look-might/
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles
Old 08-01-2018, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Finally some modern style. Maybe modern performance too?

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 08-01-2018, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Cue the typical nagative comments in 5,4,3,2,1.....
Old 08-01-2018, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeCleElum View Post
Good to see the diversity. I was at the HD Museum a year ago and saw the Nova V4. It was the AMF project started 42 years ago:

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2016/09/19/harley-davidsons-project-nova-look-might/
I was there last year too. I was surprised to learn that it was their first collaboration with Porsche. Lots of other cool stuff there too.

The new bikes look interesting - no longer 45 degree twins?
Sport bike is cool. the dirt bike looks heavy and pointless.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Financially they are having a hard time, I wonder if other motorcycle manufacturers are as well? Are motorcycle sales down?

Either way I hope they can turn things around with their new model line up
Old 08-02-2018, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
Financially they are having a hard time, I wonder if other motorcycle manufacturers are as well? Are motorcycle sales down?
motorcycle sales are declining in the US and Europe - Harley (along with BMW to some extent) are feeling the pinch more than others. The hipsters with their tech money aren't interested in the product being offered. Can't say I blame them.

That said, I'm still betting that vintage Sportsters are what the cool kids will be riding in a few years, once all the CBs have been cafed (and played) out.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I like the second bike a lot. but with street tires for around town. It has a great rough, chunky look, proportions are excellent. Looks comfortable. Could be a good urban assault vehicle.

First bike seems extremely tall (maybe just angle?) and is just a Harley version of a Jap sport bike. Seems awfully derivative, not fresh or interesting.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Higgins View Post
An adventure touring bike is supposedly in the works as well, but no firm production date.

Here's what I don't get. Does the second bike with no production date just need market testing to give it a green light? I understand why cars take so long to produce from concept to manufacturing. A bike should take under a year. 3 months for design. 2 months to build a few. 2 months to market test. 3 months to finalize production. 2 months to prepare for release. Maybe add 6 months in there for fluff.

But bike is just a frame with stuff added to it. That with over 100 years of experience building motorcycles and knowing the market, I can't see how it takes a lot of time to release a new bike.

Other than market testing and acceptance and finalization. But if you don't have a good idea of what the market wants before building a few early concepts, just go home.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Not nearly enough shiny bits stuck on it for the intended chromosexual crowd.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
I see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Higgins View Post

I just got a chubby.

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 08-02-2018, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
^^^^^ That cafe'd bike is somewhat promising. But what type of motor are they putting in it? The biggest problem with Buell was the dog of the Harley motor they put into it. Felt like an Autopia car off idle, and then just when the fun started at about 5K on the tach, it ended soon after at 7K. Compared to Japanese bikes (that's the market competition) that rev to the moon. (Or even Ducatis that get halfway there.)
Old 08-02-2018, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

its a water cooled v4 from what the article says... might not shake your bones too much!
Old 08-02-2018, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
975cc DOHC four valve water cooled

Oh yeah, Trump won
Thank you Mr. Putin
Old 08-02-2018, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Garage
I wonder where they'll build it? Milwaukee or overseas?
Old 08-02-2018, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Vey, yes mister President

they are also making an electric bike.

maybe it can save them. giving up the software engineers who think they are hard asses and the wanna-be boomers is a good business move. young people want sport bikes and touring bikes made by the Japanese today, not annoying Harleys.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

tee shirts and farckles will keep them alive!
Old 08-02-2018, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbutt View Post
I just got a chubby.
No disrespect, I've got to ask, what about this cartoon of a bike do you like? Exhaust alone makes me chuckle.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun @ Tru6 View Post
Exhaust alone makes me chuckle.
Really? It seems like a bit of a nod to the supertrapp pipes of yesteryear to me...

They make chocolate and vanilla for a reason though, right?
Old 08-02-2018, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: