Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
How much German do you need to know?

Spending a week in Regensberg Germany next month for work and Shaun’s thread got me thinking? I’ll be fine in our offices, everyone speaks English. How I’ll I be out at restaurants etc?

And what about the airport in Munich? Plenty of English signs I hope?
Old 01-22-2019, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Expreckinzee English
Old 01-22-2019, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
I was there for 3 years nearly 30 years ago. I knew very little German at the time and got by OK.
(I learned a lot while I was there) Most of the younger people I met knew how to speak English. I'd expect it's much the same now.

But German is easy to learn. Maybe you could do a short night course before you go?
Learning a second language has many unexpected benefits.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
"Kanst du essen mein schawnz" always got me through the tough times..

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
~ Henry Ford
Old 01-22-2019, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Halt die Klappe und schick mir mehr Schweine zum Töten
Old 01-22-2019, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

"Leck meinen Arsch" is a real ice breaker.

1969 911T Coupe
1972 911E Targa
Old 01-22-2019, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafischer View Post
"Leck meinen Arsch" is a real ice breaker.
Certainly... lol

Old 01-22-2019, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigster59 View Post
"Kanst du essen mein schawnz" always got me through the tough times..
Just ask them if they eat ass.... They'll appreciate it being in English.
Just about everyone speaks English. Regensburg is a pretty big university city, and I almost spent a year abroad there. Ended up not doing it and just spent the summer with some friends.

It's a fun city.

Non Cedo Ferio
Old 01-22-2019, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

You'll be fine. Regensburg is nice and Bavaria is very English speaking friendly. Basic words never hurt, but many signs are in English and most people have learned English in school. Head over to Ingolstadt and see the Audi museum if you have the time. Lots of other great stuff in the general area. Enjoy!
Old 01-22-2019, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

16 years ago, we stayed at Koblenz and other small cities along the Rhine for a few days each just to bum around Germany. Most younger folks do ok speaking English, but the older folks around 50 or older had a hard time understanding us.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
My best friend lived in Regensberg for 7 years. Want me to get the low down for you?
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 01-22-2019, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Sounds like a good excuse to do a night class in German.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
I spent some time out in the countryside where a minority have English in both Germany and Denmark. English derives from German, so there are lot of cognates. I got along fine face to face - it’s really kind of fun - but phone conversations were impossible. It’s not hard to get along in the cites at all.

Last edited by wdfifteen; 01-22-2019 at 10:31 PM..
Old 01-22-2019, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Douglas View Post
Sounds like a good excuse to do a night class in German.
THIS!
Old 01-22-2019, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Was there two months ago (Stuttgart, Berlin and Munich), I know 0 German and did not have any trouble at all.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Gorilla

I live in Stuttgart and don't speak German outside of basic greetings and what not. You'll be fine. Just say Entschuldigung, ich spreche kein Deutsch. Sprichst du Englisch?

Typically, the response is "A little" or "not very well" but when they start speaking in English, you realize they probably speak it better than you do. There's lots of Americans in Germany because of the US military bases around the country.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Ja, we have a contract in place with a company in Markdorf (not very far from Regensburg, actually - beautiful place) and so I am learning some basic German just for the fun of it. There are several Germans here at work so I can practice. You can certainly get around in Germany with only English, but it is pretty easy to learn some basic phrases. Like:

Es tut mir leid. Mein Deutsch ist unter aller Sau. Konnst du langsamer sprechen oder sprichst du English?

My German is horrible, but I can get the point across most of the time. Verb conjugation is a killer. Ich wieß nur present tense. :
22/29 torsions, 22/22 adjustable sways, Carrera brakes
Old 01-23-2019, 03:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
English has been a mandatory language in school since my mom was a kid.

The average German will speak better English than the average American.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95avblm3 View Post
I live in Stuttgart and don't speak German outside of basic greetings and what not. You'll be fine. Just say Entschuldigung, ich spreche kein Deutsch. Sprichst du Englisch?

Typically, the response is "A little" or "not very well" but when they start speaking in English, you realize they probably speak it better than you do. There's lots of Americans in Germany because of the US military bases around the country.
I grew up in Vogelsang.

Dad was at Panzer over in Boeblingin.

You also had Patch and the big PX at Robinson
Old 01-23-2019, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

In my opinion you only need to know four word phrases ............. which way is Stuttgart ? Or the popular " which way beer garden ?
Old 01-23-2019, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: