Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Information Junky

San Francisco International Airport (SFO) bans sale of plastic water bottles

Can't take water thru security, can't buy bottled water in terminal.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/travel/article/No-fly-zone-SFO-bans-sale-of-plastic-water-14274754.php

Apparently this is a more pressing issue than cleaning up SF crime, needles, rats, disease....
Old 08-21-2019, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

And yet plastic for sodas and other junk liquids are perfectly acceptable. Madness. It seems like certain places are turning into real life locations for The Onion.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Flavored water is exempt. Does one drop of flavor per bottle make it flavored?
Old 08-21-2019, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Information Junky

The camel's nose under the tent.

Some people just don't like seeing other people having easy travels.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Apparently, 10000 bottles of water are sold every day at SFO.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Information Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdrv55 View Post
Apparently, 10000 bottles of water are sold every day at SFO.
Well, if it's popular it must be stopped!

Last edited by island911; 08-21-2019 at 01:21 PM..
Old 08-21-2019, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Information Junky

Air travelers lose a lot of water in flight. (very dry air up there)

TSA will confiscate any bottles of water. :-\

I typically travel with empties and fill up in terminal. Yet most terminals have very few filtered water bottle fillers, if any.

Also of note, PET bottles are heavily recycled. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PET_bottle_recycling --90% in India.

So what's the problem?
Old 08-21-2019, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by island911 View Post

https://www.sfchronicle.com/travel/article/No-fly-zone-SFO-bans-sale-of-plastic-water-14274754.php

Apparently this is a more pressing issue than cleaning up SF crime, needles, rats, disease....
I've been through SFO many times. Never once did I see any needles, rats, poop, etc in SFO.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc View Post
I've been through SFO many times. Never once did I see any needles, rats, poop, etc in SFO.
try to keep up. General SF not SFO

IRR... What IRR!
Old 08-21-2019, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

feel so bad for those businesses. Rent isn't exactly cheap at the airport. Dumbest thing I have ever heard this morning.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

It's an easy shot against SFO but it's misplaced... Plastic bottles (hell plastic anything) are a problem and people's willlingness to pay $5 for something that's practically free is even more amusing to me. You need start somewhere, why not there.

Also they *will* sell you water in cans (tastes funny from what I hear), cartons, and have tons of new extra and free water dispensing fountains designed to easily fill metal water bottles... Not as stupid as it sounds initially.

Not a tree hugger here, but this plastic crap is all over and in the case of water, which comes essentially free from a tap, it's almost insulting.

Last edited by Deschodt; 08-21-2019 at 03:49 PM..
Old 08-21-2019, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Bottled water annoys me but SFO has lost the plot along with so many other stupid moves they have made. I avoid that place like the black plague because... the plague is coming their way shortly with the 3rd world sanitation levels downtown.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I bet the Coke machines have plastic bottles.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 08-21-2019, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deschodt View Post
It's an easy shot against SFO but it's misplaced... Plastic bottles (hell plastic anything) are a problem and people's willlingness to pay $5 for something that's practically free is even more amusing to me. You need start somewhere, why not there.

Also they *will* sell you water in cans (tastes funny from what I hear), cartons, and have tons of new extra and free water dispensing fountains designed to easily fill metal water bottles... Not as stupid as it sounds initially.

Not a tree hugger here, but this plastic crap is all over and in the case of water, which comes essentially free from a tap, it's almost insulting.
Because in this country it's not up to some doofus to tell other people what they can and can't drink or buy just because it makes a doofus FEEL good.

Not enough Personal freedoms or personal responsibility, and too much big brother.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Information Junky

Quote:

So water in cans tastes funny yet people are stupid to not take it from the tap?

Quote:
Well, to be fair, most "tree huggers" really aren't hugging trees. Rather they spout anti-human attitudes. Like you did right there.

Plastic is not "crap." In the case of PETE it is food grade, durable, light-weight, inexpensive and highly recyclable. Where it doesn't get recycled that is on humans' choice, not the fault of the plastic. I will note that the vast majority of people don't litter. So, while it's easy to hate on the plastic bottle in a ditch somewhere, don't ruin the high utility of the product -for so many people- because you were offended, or need to virtue signal your dislike, that some people litter.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

What is the airports position on defecating in public and / or carrying on used syringes?

Asking for a friend.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 08-21-2019, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by island911 View Post

This seems like a prime opportunity for the makers of "paper drinkbox water bottle sorts of things"! LOL...

So, they are banning the "sale" of plastic water bottles, eh? Hmmm, if I was a retail vendor/resturant @SFO, I'd stock up on them, and offer a FREE water bottle with every purchase.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Information Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Coffey View Post
This seems like a prime opportunity for the makers of "paper drinkbox water bottle sorts of things"! LOL...
Ha!

Yeah, and those paper drinkbox water bottle sorts of things actually cost more, take more space (landfill) and are not recyclable.

But at least they are not resealable or reusable. Oh wait.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

It'll be legen-waitforit

So, I’m thick, am I allowed to bring my own metal container now? Of course I could whittle it down to a shive in a airplane bathroom...
Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 08-21-2019, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

How did anyone survive all those years before bottled water and how long do you have to search before settling on this for dissatisfaction? Jeebus.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: