Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Is Norton still the invasive type software it was?

My new computer came loaded with Norton Security.
In the past, I found it to be really a pain to have active on my computers so deleted it.
I haven't run a security software except for Win Defender for a number of years on my old computer.
Can I still do the same with Win 10 Home, or should I keep the Norton active?
Opinions welcome and alternatives also.

Old 01-16-2020, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Norton once had a reputation of being a system hog. Don't know if that is still true.

Avast is a bit difficult to uninstall. Needs it's own uninstaller.

I don't know enough to give good advice.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Security software pretty much has to be invasive.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

I think it's been 5-10 years since I had Norton or McAffee or any of that stuff. For Windows, I generally use a browser other than whatever MS makes and then the MS security software.

I would remove the Norton, but I can't say if it's still the crap it once was. (it was actually good software at one time, but I think that was a long time ago.)
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 01-16-2020, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Douglas View Post
Yep, Win10 security is plenty capable. Been running it for years with no issues. I would delete Norton without a second thought. YMMV...
Old 01-16-2020, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

I deleted Norton when the annual license fees jumped from under $50 to over $100 a year.

(If it came "free" with a computer it probably only covers 90 days.)

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 01-16-2020, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Coffey View Post
Yep, Win10 security is plenty capable. Been running it for years with no issues. I would delete Norton without a second thought. YMMV...
Yeah, same here.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys, appreciate the input.
I never liked it before and haven't used anything except the Windows security for a while now too.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Not directed at the customer flavor of antivirus (less policies and less checking), but I've managed some AV consoles for enterprises as a side job, it's mind boggling how intrusive those products have to be and how much they check. It's a miracle that computers are able to perform at all. In fact we recently for giggles ran our image with encryption and AV removed and the performance was staggeringly good - those things are hogs, they have to be. It's the world we live in...
Old 01-16-2020, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deschodt View Post
Not directed at the customer flavor of antivirus (less policies and less checking), but I've managed some AV consoles for enterprises as a side job, it's mind boggling how intrusive those products have to be and how much they check. It's a miracle that computers are able to perform at all. In fact we recently for giggles ran our image with encryption and AV removed and the performance was staggeringly good - those things are hogs, they have to be. It's the world we live in...
And don't even get me started on VDI!

Fortunately, I still have a workstation at work. They can have it when it dies or they pry it out of my cold dead fingers.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 01-16-2020, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
For home use Defender on Windows 10 is as good as anything else out there.

Deschodt, some of those products are better than others. Ours doesn't do too bad, but you pay for it. It is a pain for some of our users on the weekends if we aren't here to whitelist a new revision or new app though.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
And don't even get me started on VDI!

Fortunately, I still have a workstation at work. They can have it when it dies or they pry it out of my cold dead fingers.
We had that when I started here, we don't any more. I don't know why my predecessor even wanted to try it.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper35 View Post
+1

I just ran Spybot Search and Destroy last week for grins. Nothing was flagged so seems Defender is doing a good job.

I don't like Norton for above mentioned reasons and have always purged it.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Douglas View Post
My new computer came loaded with Norton Security.
In the past, I found it to be really a pain to have active on my computers so deleted it.
I haven't run a security software except for Win Defender for a number of years on my old computer.
Opinions welcome and alternatives also.
No, They addressed that issue years ago, The latest is Norton 360 which includes cloud storage for backup(if you want) and VPN. It works quite well.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper35 View Post

Deschodt, some of those products are better than others. Ours doesn't do too bad, but you pay for it. It is a pain for some of our users on the weekends if we aren't here to whitelist a new revision or new app though.
I know.... But there are very few with enterprise management capabilities (groups, policies) and we've tested them all. They all suck to one degree or another and keep at least one person employed ! And let's not even mention upgrading it every quarter without cratering PCs (because it steps on encryption or patches or what have you). I truly regret my career choices late in life ;-)
Old 01-16-2020, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Norton was provided free with my internet service. The problem, it keeps killing Remote Desktop. I finally figured out how to get RD through the firewall and they they changed it again. I ripped it out.

Windows Defender plus Malware Bytes seems to work quite well.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: