Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Covid Longer Term Effects

Ran across this, while doing some reading on longer term effects of Covid.

38 Michigan hospitals contributed data on their patients hospitalized with Covid during March - July.

Criminey, you did NOT want to be hospitalized with Covid in Michigan this spring.

I’m still digesting the LT effects - haven’t gotten past the mortality. I really hope this has gotten a lot better.

“Findings: Of 1648 patients with COVID-19 admitted to 38 hospitals, 398 (24.2%) died during hospitalization and 1250 (75.8%) survived. Of 1250 patients discharged alive, 975 (78.0%) went home whereas 158 (12.6%) were discharged to a skilled nursing or rehabilitation facility (Table 1). By 60 days after discharge, an additional 84 patients (6.7% of hospital survivors and 10.4% of intensive care unit [ICU]-treated hospital survivors) had died, bringing the overall mortality rate for the cohort to 29.2%, and 63.5% for the 405 patients who received treatment in an ICU. Within 60 days of discharge, 189 patients (15.1% of hospital survivors) were rehospitalized.”

Old 11-14-2020, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Information Junky

getting thrown on a vent did a lot of people harm.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
https://covidtracking.com/data/charts/us-currently-hospitalized

https://covidtracking.com/data/charts/us-daily-deaths

Comparing these two charts suggests that hospitalized mortality rate (deaths per hospitalized cases) declined by about 50% from the spring wave to the summer wave, but has not declined from the summer wave to the current fall wave.

I’ve been thinking hopefully that we’ve gotten much better at treating severe Covid, but that may not be true.

Ah, looks like you can overlay charts

https://covidtracking.com/data/charts/2-metrics-7-day-average-curves
Old 11-14-2020, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The Denialist Playbook
Darwin is now handing the deniers.
  1. Doubt the Science
  2. Question Scientists’ Motives and Integrity
  3. Magnify Disagreements among Scientists and Cite Gadflies as Authorities
  4. Exaggerate Potential Harm
  5. Appeal to Personal Freedom
  6. Reject Whatever Would Repudiate A Key Philosophy

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-denialist-playbook/?utm_source=pocket-newtab
Old 11-14-2020, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Fewer deaths because masks are reducing the innoculum
Old 11-14-2020, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
7. Refuse Vaccine And Reap The Consequences
Old 11-14-2020, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Information Junky

Pretend that we don't have functioning immune systems.

You know, to scare yourselves even more.

what a bunch of Nancys
Old 11-14-2020, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by island911 View Post
Pretend that we don't have functioning immune systems.

You know, to scare yourselves even more.

what a bunch of Nancys
Enjoy your hepatitis, genius
Old 11-14-2020, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
The Denialist Playbook
Darwin is now handing the deniers.
  1. Doubt the Science
  2. Question Scientists’ Motives and Integrity
  3. Magnify Disagreements among Scientists and Cite Gadflies as Authorities
  4. Exaggerate Potential Harm
  5. Appeal to Personal Freedom
  6. Reject Whatever Would Repudiate A Key Philosophy

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-denialist-playbook/?utm_source=pocket-newtab
I have had 5 friends die from the virus I would not call any of the 5 ignorant or science deniers. All 5 had serious underlying conditions. Do you really consider the people who died all over the world to be deniers? I also had friends a husband and wife in their 50s and reasonably good health contract the virus, both ended up in the hospital. He was released in a week she was told they were going to put her on a ventilator because she was getting worse. She told them under no circumstances would she go on a ventilator. She was released a couple of weeks later fully recovered. To this day she insists if she was put on the ventilator she would not have survived.

Last edited by Mike80911; 11-14-2020 at 01:58 PM..
Old 11-14-2020, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Member Insulter

I'm 6 days in since positive test and so far have had only mild symptoms. If it gets worse, I will NOT be put on a respirator. If it's my time, so be it, but I won't deal with the aftereffects caused by that machine.
Old 11-14-2020, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriot98 View Post
I'm 6 days in since positive test and so far have had only mild symptoms. If it gets worse, I will NOT be put on a respirator. If it's my time, so be it, but I won't deal with the aftereffects caused by that machine.
I think you’re gonna be fine!

From what I’ve read, proning with ventilators as absolute last resort, steroids, anticoagulants, remedsivir, appear to have been the biggest advances. Maybe convalescent plasma although there is actually very little proof. There hasn’t been a large advance in treatment options since the summer, as far as I know. The antibody drugs are going to be in too short a supply to really help anytime soon, except for VIPs, which is disappointing. Oh, also in the spring the hospitalizations were concentrated in the Northeast where hospitals were overloaded, in the summer it was more in the Sputh and West and hospital capacity held up, now it is kind of everywhere including places without much hospital capacity. I think the hospitalization death rate this time will end up higher than in the summer (2nd) wave.
Old 11-14-2020, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03132-4
Old 11-14-2020, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Pants-wetters will find all kinds of things to worry about.....
Old 11-14-2020, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
I think that they are moving away from those things anyway, giving people supplementary O2 if needed but without the tube. Think Trump and the oxygen they gave him at WH before he went to hospital.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The gullible flat earth moon landing Bill Gates 5G mind control vaccine gov't cancer hoaxers
are now Ventilator hoaxer deniers????

Please post the logic behind ventilator scam.
This should be good.

Guy gets shot in the face point blank with a shotgun.
Guy takes Advil at some point
Guy dies or survives but with lasting issues
I AINT TAKIN' NO ADVIL !!!

The depths of stupid literally has no bound

Last edited by sugarwood; 11-15-2020 at 06:48 AM..
Old 11-15-2020, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Member Insulter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
The gullible flat earth moon landing Bill Gates 5G mind control vaccine gov't cancer hoaxers
are now Ventilator hoaxer deniers????

Please post the logic behind ventilator scam.
This should be good.

Guy gets shot in the face point blank with a shotgun.
Guy takes Advil at some point
Guy dies or survives but with lasting issues
I AINT TAKIN' NO ADVIL !!!

The depths of stupid literally has no bound

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4896812/
Old 11-15-2020, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Thank you for proving my point
Old 11-15-2020, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Banned

Nice article in the NY Times about long term effects.

We now know the heart is a particular cause for concern after coronavirus infection. A study in JAMA Cardiology looked at 100 men and women in Germany, average age 49, who had recovered from Covid-19, and found signs of myocarditis in 78 percent. Most had been healthy, with no pre-existing medical conditions, before becoming infected. A smaller study of college athletes who had recovered from Covid-19 found that 15 percent had signs of heart inflammation. Experts continue to assess the data regarding heart risks to help clinicians better determine when athletes can return to play.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
There was a story last night on 60 Minutes about those with lasting effects after COVID.
Healthy people have serious problems.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 11-23-2020, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Banned

78 %
But it’s Germany
We are much stronger, and have the best health care in the World
So some say

Old 11-23-2020, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: