Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
=VLOOKUP(val,tab,col,rng)

Garage
Play fantasy car build, watch weird documentaries or research odd topics.

rjp

Old 11-21-2020, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Meet some other peeps that are bored. I fell in with a couple of guys at Starbucks. There's a loose group of about 15, with 2-4 at a table most days. Some more regular than others. Actually have 4-5 women that stop by from time to time. Wonderful people, very supportive. It's all hands for birthdays.

But you have to work at it a bit. What did Woody Allen say, "90% of life is just showing up."
Old 11-21-2020, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

I rarely have one of those days. they come around once or twice a year. I have two young teenage boys so if I have anytime at all, we go and try to do stuff. I did last Sunday. Slept in until 9. It was good to recharged my battery. Moped around all morning thinking of something to so since there are plenty, but at the end, I was just a bit lazy and accepted it, which was good. So I decided to take a walk around the canyon, two miles loop. Had lunch and decided to clean up the windshield of the 993 and go for a drive to spend the old gas out of the car. This just sits most time due to lack of interest with the 911s and being crazy busy with work. Went our for a drive after 2pm into our local mts. Its a 20 miles of sitting behind some minivan through the twisties. Its was not as bad as you guys think. I was able to open up for a good 10 miles of it passing a couple of cars. Did nothing for the rest of the day. Its was good.

I think you guys are going about it the wrong way. There's always things to do, clean this or or organize that. How about doing something absolutely none productive and out of the ordinary just to break that habit of having to doing something productive. It sure made me feel pretty damn good last Sunday. Now, I am going out tomorrow morning with a bunch of local 911 guys for drive to a shop just to check things out. I haven't done that in a loooong time. Maybe 3-4 years. Looking forward to it.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by smadsen View Post
Meet some other peeps that are bored. I fell in with a couple of guys at Starbucks. There's a loose group of about 15, with 2-4 at a table most days. Some more regular than others. Actually have 4-5 women that stop by from time to time. Wonderful people, very supportive. It's all hands for birthdays.

But you have to work at it a bit. What did Woody Allen say, "90% of life is just showing up."
That sounds like my dad. There's a local McDonald the old guys go and just sit for an hour or two with a cup of coffee or a bag of fries. He jsut showed up one day and started yapping with them. They became very good friends and are all retired.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
durn for'ner

Cue Whisky.

Carrera '85
Old 11-22-2020, 01:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Por_sha911 View Post
Go read PARF. It will make you laugh, cry or cuss.
Sometimes all three at the same time!
Old 11-22-2020, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

I see you

Interesting Dr C. I had a similar day , however I have end of semester stuff to do and just couldn't get my head into any of it. I remember a quote from the Ken Burns Civil War series " today we had nothing to do, so that's what we did."

I usually find something to occupy my mind if not my body, even if it's just re-organizing the work bench or some such. Failing all I usually end up walking the neighborhood.

“There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our overthrow. Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence.”
Old 11-22-2020, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

pick a good podcast and play it while doing whatever sucked before picking the podcast. For me, this was the only thing that made pushing a mower for 3 straight hours tolerable.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I mosey out to my garage. With the 85 911 and the 86 El Camino there is always some little task that needs attention. Always. With a combined 69 years of age and 549,000 miles there is something to replace, or clean, wax, vacuum, or re-wire or just routine lubrication. Always. I can go out there and find something to do on one or the other anytime. It is part of my car hobby.

My wife would love it if I sold them, and bought modern replacements. There are no real modern replacements for either vehicle. I don't want to be yet another pickup truck driver, and there is no car prettier or more quintessential of a driver's car than a G body 911. Both cars are worth far more than I paid for them.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 11-22-2020, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
I work logic puzzles. I'm having one of those days today. Did two level 3 puzzles, got ambitious enough to start a pot of chili. I tend to cook something simple on days like this.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste

I maniacially run around in circles..while shrieking the sky is falling.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered

I find getting outside in the sunshine, air, trees, seeing animals going about their daily business, breathing fresh air, & getting the blood circulating lifts my spirit. Maybe it's not the same for everybody, but "studies have proven" getting outside like that improves your mood. Sometimes just going for a nice walk or hike makes a person feel much better and more energized.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Reelin' In The Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post
I work logic puzzles. I'm having one of those days today. Did two level 3 puzzles...
Perfect.

I do Scrabble every morning before I go exercise. I either walk/jog three miles or use the elliptical, with stretching, six days a week. I am semi pain free with CBO's and I take complete advantage of that.

I am done by 0800 and then start work, from home. We are busy but I still need a routine to focus on....Navy Pilot much

I then go for a drive, everyday, at noon unless we have a client meeting. I go for a drive, then, after the meeting. On the weekends I am outside. The best tonic is air.

I am not a social animal, but I like to see people I don't want to talk to.

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." – Winston Churchill

Last edited by Seahawk; 11-22-2020 at 10:01 AM..
Old 11-22-2020, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

^^^ My favorite is the 'Jumble'
Play it every day that I find it in the paper.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
It's 8:30PM and I haven't gotten dressed yet.
I guess I'll just blow this day off now.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabs View Post
I maniacially run around in circles..while shrieking the sky is falling.
That's when I have too many things to do, and have trouble prioritizing. Which unfortunately, has been too often this year.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Take a nap.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Registered

Yesterday was somewhat of a blowoff day after having a really busy Saturday. Sunday was windy, and rainy with not a hint of sunshine, and spitting snow later. I swept the house, did the dishes, took out the trash, and watched some football...no reason to go anywhere.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Registered

I just do...
Old 11-23-2020, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Post on Pelican......

1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!

Last edited by GH85Carrera; 11-23-2020 at 05:48 AM..
Old 11-23-2020, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: