Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
It's still that way (you gotta seem them wandering around your lab, I *know* they still infest Fermi).
Oh yeah - we've got 'em. Crazy hair, the little John Lennon glasses and ear rings. Wearing flip flops and Hawaiian shirts to work most of the time...

22/29 torsions, 22/22 adjustable sways, Carrera brakes
Old 09-10-2008, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #201 (permalink)
Registered Usurper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LubeMaster77 View Post
Actually, what will prolly happen is something completely wierd and unexpected and will throw the brain trust into a tizzy for a few more years....
If it does and it can't be fit into the theory of the moment, eventually a new theory will be developed which accomodates it.

This will render the old theory useless and there will be a great moaning, wailing and gnashing of teeth from proponents of the old theory as they undergo the misery of losing grant money, prestige, etc.; a veritable revolution will ensue and finally the new theory will be accepted as the framework within which ongoing study and iexperimentation will occur.

Contrary to many thinking that our current body of scientific knowledge is an orderly, sequential accumulation of building blocks of learning, this body of knowledge has undergone such revolutions many times in the past and will continue to do so into the future.

"The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" By Thomas S. Kuhn, is a good read.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #202 (permalink)
drag racing the short bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROC View Post
Oh yeah - we've got 'em. Crazy hair, the little John Lennon glasses and ear rings. Wearing flip flops and Hawaiian shirts to work most of the time...
Hmmm...sounds like some animators I've worked with.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #203 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARISC View Post
If it does and it can't be fit into the theory of the moment, eventually a new theory will be developed which accomodates it.

This will render the old theory useless and there will be a great moaning, wailing and gnashing of teeth from proponents of the old theory as they undergo the misery of losing grant money, prestige, etc.; a veritable revolution will ensue and finally the new theory will be accepted as the framework within which ongoing study and iexperimentation will occur.
Or...they can get Al Gore to produce a movie and get politicians to enshrine the old theory in law.

It seems to work for the global warming crowd.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 09-10-2008, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #204 (permalink)
Registered Usurper

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
Or...they can get Al Gore to produce a movie and get politicians to enshrine the old theory in law.

It seems to work for the global warming crowd.
What specific scientific theory are you directing your comment at?

Incidentally, politics is an "art" not "science" in the same sense that physics is, eh?

"Political Science " always struck me as oxymoronic
Old 09-10-2008, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #205 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRPORSCHE View Post
I thought color came from electron's jumping from the ground state to the excited state and then back down to the ground state?
That is how light is emitted.
Visible color can mostly be related to molecular structure, conjugated double bonds as one example IIRC.

Quantum color is way above my pay grade. I'm a pigment and dye kinda guy.

I was born a rightie but now I'm a leftie.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #206 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardDrive View Post
If they are going to create a black hole and destroy our galaxy, I think it would be really sporting of them to let us know a few day in advance. I have some moves in the bedroom I have been waiting to try out on the misses, and it would be a damn shame to have them go to waste.

Wait a minute.....if Hawking is correct, my bedroom moves will not go to waste. Surely somewhere in the radiation from our newly sprouted black hole, a data stream describing my new attempt at 'sexy sexy' will be decipherable, yes?
You do realise that one of the biggest go**amn black holes that you can imagine(~3 million solar masses) is already at the center(Sagittarius A*) of our galaxy.

It's in this pic

there are a bunch more smaller ones scattered around the Milkey Way(our galaxaxys name)
Old 09-10-2008, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #207 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
.... (3) if there is a black hole, it won't disappear when the equipment is turned off.

**IF** a micro-hole is made, it will slowly destroy society over about 100 years...we would be defenseless against it. That might be worse that having it instantly kill everyone.
actually it depends, all black holes "sublimate" over time by radiating away 1/2 of the virtual particle pairs formed at the event horizon actually the one particle that gets away becomes real taking a small part of the B/H's mass w/ it, the smaller the black hole the "hotter" it's radiation signature is and the quicker it disappears.

On the other hand if a mini black hole were formed and allowed to free fall to the floor it would continue to the core and on to the other side then repeat indefinitely eating a few atoms at a time, eventually consuming the earth. I haven't seen a time line but 100 years is certainly conceivable.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #208 (permalink)
Registered

I would have like to have met Feynman. I missed my chance by a few months though. A friend of mine had a chance to meet him and correspond for a short time. He was pretty ill then, but his cynical instincts were fully capable. It would have been fun just to hear him tearing up the BS artists.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #209 (permalink)

The worse part would be listening to the blame game for them years.
And thus shall my exploits be told.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #210 (permalink)
Registered Usurper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
You do realise that one of the biggest go**amn black holes that you can imagine(~3 million solar masses) is already at the center(Sagittarius A*) of our galaxy.
There goes the neighborhood...literally!

Here's a closeup of the that big A hole - scary!

Old 09-10-2008, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #211 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
On the other hand if a mini black hole were formed and allowed to free fall to the floor it would continue to the core and on to the other side then repeat indefinitely eating a few atoms at a time, eventually consuming the earth. I haven't seen a time line but 100 years is certainly conceivable.
Which is why I specifically mentioned it. Not only will it oscillate through the planet (I think it's 84 minutes per trip back and forth), it will follow the UNIVERSAL XYZ frame, which means the Earth will spin under it as it bounces. It will slowly eat nanometer holes through the planet in a straight line. Eventually, they will become micrometer holes. Eventually, they will become decimeter holes, and THAT'S when things go downhill. Imagine piercing a ping pong ball filled with acid. now, turn it in your hands, and pierce it over and over again along one latitude. You'll do one of two things first...flood the surface of the ping pong ball with acid, or cut the ping pong ball in half.

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #212 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
It is swiss money. So who cares?

Some of my Jewish friends who have been denied the inheritance rights might care?
Old 09-10-2008, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #213 (permalink)
Monkey with a mouse

From the LHC to almost the other "N" word in only 11 pages?!

Wow, they must have accidentally crossed those photon streams today!

http://starnes.com/
Old 09-10-2008, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #214 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstarnes View Post
From the LHC to almost the other "N" word in only 11 pages?!

Wow, they must have accidentally crossed those photon streams today!
I was gonna let that go, but since you're an old-skooler, you can get away with it

Old 09-10-2008, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #215 (permalink)

you guys crack me up!

We are a bunch of old farts arguing about atoms, protons, galaxies.....when we can't even adjust the valves on our old cars, can't agree on Moses' fuchs, forged vs. cast, if SC is better than a Carrera..........

Heh heh heh

Just like everyone, I am just killing time.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #216 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab83_750 View Post
SC is better than a Carrera..........
I thought the SCWDP solved that silly issue?

Old 09-10-2008, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #217 (permalink)
JW Apostate

They found the 'Higgs'

KT
'74 914-6 2.6 SS #746
'01 Boxster
Old 09-10-2008, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #218 (permalink)
JW Apostate

I heard they are having some problems.

Anybody heard that?

KT
'74 914-6 2.6 SS #746
'01 Boxster
Old 09-30-2008, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #219 (permalink)
Used User

Yeah, they melted one of the huge magnets. It's down.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #220 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: