Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Detached Member

Stijn, that's kind of what I meant. It needs the collider to sustain it. The nanosecond it is created and starts to pull in, so to speak, it upsets the balance of its existence and snuffs it self out.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Old 09-06-2008, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Gon fix it with me hammer

Garage
here's a thought

a black hole supposedly messes with time and space and everything else

eating acid, does the same with your perception of those things...

so, if you go in to a black hole, while on acid
does that cancel things out?

need to get me a fresh batch, stat.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Have you seen the "pedigree" of the guys trying to stop that experiment? They are right in there with the Big Foot hunters.

The experiment is in Switzerland but it is certainly NOT paid for by the Swiss. These are huge international collaborations and all the countries participating pay for it. This includes the US significantly! It makes sense that such experiments are run by an international collaboration - they are too expensive for one country to pursue. The US had their own Superconducting Super Collider and cost was one big reason it was canceled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconducting_Super_Collider

George
Old 09-06-2008, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
they should fire their PR person on the grounds of being a complete fool
seriously, only geeks and freaks know about this thing...

they should put up a website, and let people register... get some advertising money out of it to help pay for future projects and what not...put up a "register now and win a free VIP ticket to the main event"
Winner get's a free plane ticket to be there when they fire that sucker...
winner can feel free to wear a tin foil hat , if that makes him feel more comfortable about it...
"stand right next to Steven Hawkins when the black hole becomes reality, if his theory turns out to be bogus... use your last seconds of reality to punch the bastard silly !! "
Old 09-06-2008, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

If you're really interested, I'll do a Q&A on the subject tomorrow.

However, it (1) won't make a black hole and (2) if it does, it won't instantly eat the Galaxy and (3) if there is a black hole, it won't disappear when the equipment is turned off.

**IF** a micro-hole is made, it will slowly destroy society over about 100 years...we would be defenseless against it. That might be worse that having it instantly kill everyone.

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 09-06-2008, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Detached Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
If you're really interested, I'll do a Q&A on the subject tomorrow.
Sure, I'm in.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh R View Post
Sure, I'm in.
I realized that all of my textbooks are at work, so I'll have to answer with general things...no numbers

I'll be around on and off, I have to take the ignition switch out of the car and go drink beer while watching soccer in the afternoon.

Much of what might happen has been postulated and modeled many many years ago, so I'll be working off of some of those things (ie. what happens when an atom sized blackhole appears in your lap).

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 09-06-2008, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
JW Apostate

From what I gathered, they really have no idea what is going to happen...For sure.

Seriously. They're guessing. Imagine that.

KT
'74 914-6 2.6 SS #746
'01 Boxster
Old 09-06-2008, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Detached Member

And Oppenheimer wasn't 100% positive that the first A bomb wouldn't ignite the atmosphere.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

''they'' are not sure a atom sized Black Hole can be or can be made

or if it will last a split second before going poof [evaporating]

all known Black Holes are huge about 1.5 times the mass of the sun minimum
or they just donot form

Last edited by nota; 09-06-2008 at 07:39 PM..
Old 09-06-2008, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
JW Apostate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nota View Post

all known Black Holes are huge about 1.5 times the mass of the sun minimum
or they just donot form

How about man really doesn't much about 'black holes'.
Be honest.

What is actually proven fact?

I'm not worried about the outcome of the earth. ( that's already safe )
I just hope nobody gets hurt locally.

KT
'74 914-6 2.6 SS #746
'01 Boxster
Old 09-06-2008, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkor View Post
I'm not worried about the outcome of the earth. ( that's already safe )KT
Really? What do you mean?
Old 09-06-2008, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
JW Apostate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoolenaar View Post
Really? What do you mean?

You know...

So, what do you think about the LHC?

KT
'74 914-6 2.6 SS #746
'01 Boxster
Old 09-06-2008, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Bannd

Garage
It would be great if they cause a small black hole ot form in a specified spot on Earth.

I have several candiate spots.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
How about man really doesn't much about 'black holes'.
Be honest.

What is actually proven fact?

I'm not worried about the outcome of the earth. ( that's already safe )
I just hope nobody gets hurt locally.

KT
trekkor, we who care to get our heads out of a book of fairy tales,

do know a good bit about how the universe works
and are trying to learn more

''Well, the smallest possible black hole is around -10to the35 metres across (the so-called Planck Length). Anything smaller just gets wiped out by the quantum fluctuations in space-time around it. But even such a tiny black hole would weigh around 10 micrograms--about the same as a speck of dust. To create objects with so much mass by collisions in a particle accelerator demands energies of 1019 giga-electronvolts, so the most powerful existing collider is ten million billion times too feeble to make a black hole. Scaling up today's technology, we would need an accelerator as big as the Galaxy to do it.

And even then, the resulting black hole wouldn't be big enough to swallow the Earth. Such a tiny black hole would evaporate in -10to the 42nd seconds in a blast of Hawking radiation, a process discovered by Stephen Hawking in the 1970s. To last long enough even to begin sucking in matter rather than going off pop, a black hole would have to be many orders of magnitude bigger. According to Cliff Pickover, author of Black Holes: A Traveler's Guide, "Even a black hole with the mass of Mount Everest would have a radius of only about -10 to the15th metres, roughly the size of an atomic nucleus. Current thinking is that it would be hard for such a black hole to swallow anything at all--even consuming a proton or neutron would be difficult." ''

BTW in a long read on this subject

what they are up to is running gold atoms together at very high speed
but every day gamma rays hit us at even higher energy's with no black holes seen

Last edited by nota; 09-06-2008 at 11:31 PM..
Old 09-06-2008, 11:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstarnes View Post
Trek:

One thing I know they are doing is looking for the Higgs boson (see Google); it is "predicted" to exist. If they find it, everyone will breathe a sigh of relief, IMO. If they don't, then it is possible a bunch of physics will have to rethought . . .

The Higgs boson is affectionately known as the "God particle", but not in the way you might hope.

Best,
It would be nice "n" tidy if they do. Apparently if they find the Higgs boson, it will finally mean that they can tie up both the rules which govern quantum physics and our understanding of physics for the bigger stuff like how gravity relates to planetary movement.

If they can also create a small black hole which accidentally sucks up Tom Cruise, Vladimir Putin, Robert Mugabe and any other human waste I can think of, that would be something of a bonus!
Old 09-06-2008, 11:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage

he ain't no Steve Balmer on stage.. that much is certain
Old 09-07-2008, 02:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
From what I gathered, they really have no idea what is going to happen...For sure.

Seriously. They're guessing. Imagine that.
Trek, why don't you add something of value to a thread for once instead of the typical rant about people guessing? It is completely obvious that you have no clue what is going on over there and worse - you belittle those that do out of apparent disdain for intelligence and achievement. I just don't understand.

I work at a facility that functions in much the same manner as the LHC (our beam is only at about 90% of the speed of light, however). We understand this technology. We can operate it and use it for our needs. It is far from "guessing". As for what we will learn, obviously, if we already knew the answers there would be no reason for research!

If you're ever in East Tennessee, I'll give you a tour of an operating facility. You'll see first hand how small of a part "guessing" plays.
22/29 torsions, 22/22 adjustable sways, Carrera brakes
Old 09-07-2008, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Trekkor should already understand the technology. Didn't he recently start a thread about his Large Pickup Collider?

Old 09-07-2008, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: