Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
83 SC

Garage
Super Bowl goes indie rock: Arcade Fire, Grizzly Bear soundtrack ads | EW.com

"Speaking of Wins, indie rock got some more shine last night from all those NFL promos using Arcade Fire’s 2004 breakout song “Wake Up.” (In a generous gesture, Arcade Fire donated all of the no-doubt hefty licensing fees to Haiti relief.) Who knew the Canadian band’s emotional music would go so naturally with the all-American macho display of the Super Bowl?"

Last edited by ramonesfreak; 02-08-2010 at 07:50 AM..
Old 02-08-2010, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Double Trouble

Hey they're old. There's only two of the original group left. They broke ground years ago that all the newer bands have been copying since. Show some respect.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

The Who was and still is one of my favorite bands. I think they are a bit beyond doing live shows like the Super Bowl. Showmanship was great, as you'd expect from the Who, but the voices just aren't there any longer.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Banned

Personally i felt the half time show (like last year's), was an embarrassment.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srandallf View Post
... there is so much amazing "new" music that I cant keep up with it all...and im talking about rock and roll, not mainstream hip/hop....if you want better rock and roll played at the super bowl, boycott commercial radio, support your local college radio stations...
There's a lot of new music, though not much of it is amazing. I grew up listening to all of the big names in rock, in their prime; very little of today's music will get played 20 years down the road. I have kids in their late teens and mid 20's and even they can't stand bands like Nickelback. Every song they record sounds the same...

And for whoever thought metal would go over well...I'd bet a Liberace tribute would be better received.

Face it, they people with the money dictate what gets played. BEYONCE ISN'T ON THEIR iPOD.

PS: I have always hated college radio, even when I was back in college. There's a reason that the songs they played never were hits. Most of them sucked, real bad... Not every song deserves airtime. Nobody bats 1000...

JR
Old 02-08-2010, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Banned

Beyonce is on everyone's IPod old fellar. Even mine.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halm View Post
I was never a big WHO fan, but that was so bad that I felt sorry for them.
The WHO bore the crap out of me. Always have. I like my rock edgy. They seem like tame glitter boys. British rock? I'll take vintage Joe Cocker, Jethro Tull, Stones or early Clapton, thank you very much.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Banned

Jethro Tull, now there would be a half time show.

Edit to add: The stones are completely washed up.

Last edited by m21sniper; 02-08-2010 at 08:23 AM..
Old 02-08-2010, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

The Stones? Meh. Their Super Bowl halftime show sucked. Put a fork in 'em...they're done.

IMO, there's damn few groups or performers from M-m-my Generation that can do a good live show today. Time for new blood.

Beyonce? GMAFB!

Last edited by Jim Richards; 02-08-2010 at 08:24 AM..
Old 02-08-2010, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m21sniper View Post
Beyonce is on everyone's IPod old fellar. Even mine.
You're weird. And, half my age...

JR
Old 02-08-2010, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Banned

Hehe, fair enuff bro.

Beyonce is an enormous star, she would be great for a halftime show. Really easy on the eyes too.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

I think the song presentation could have been better to get a more new generation appeal. I'd have started with 'Bargain' because it's been remade and kids could relate, and inserted some of the "Tommy" stuff between the other Great Rock songs. I think they should have had some help from someone who could hit the high notes on 'Baba O'Reilly'.

Best Commercial by far was the Who's 'My Generation' as backround for a series of historical moments from the 60's till now. That's the only one that got my attention.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Jethro Tull, now there would be a half time show.
When the WHO started playing, everyone under the age of 40 groaned. WTF? The WHO????? I'm over 50 and they bored me to tears. I was embarrassed for them.

They could have put Chris Cornell up there playing Soundgarden or Audioslave hits. Nickleback is pretty mainstream. There are a TON of great younger bands. A ton. Hell, Justin Timberlake would have been better.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Beyonce is an enormous star, she would be great for a halftime show. Really easy on the eyes too.
Yeah, the problem is mainly that her fan base can't afford the tickets...

Carrie wasn't bad to look at, though. Even though she's from around here I'd never listen to her. Great voice, just can't stand country music (sic) at all. Except Willy...

JR
Old 02-08-2010, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
I see you

Frankly I think the half time show has always been a waste of time. At my bar we put the TV on mute, turn on music and the bar owner runs a raffle. I'd rather see punt pass and kick finals or pee wees playing at half time.

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 02-08-2010, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
Yeah, the problem is mainly that her fan base can't afford the tickets...

Carrie wasn't bad to look at, though. Even though she's from around here I'd never listen to her. Great voice, just can't stand country music (sic) at all. Except Willy...

JR
I don't really like country either, but Kerry has good cross-over appeal.

Beyonce is really mainstream.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
very little of today's music will get played 20 years down the road.
Truer words were never written. Most of the stuff in my iPod is 20-35 yrs. old.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Banned

You're an old guy Rick. Today's kids will listen to today's music in 20 years.

Just like our folks listened to their music. I hate to break it to you, but today's acts are NOT writing music for old bastages like us.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Family Values

The Who, for lack of a better word, is "safe". Unlike Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake, they weren't going to go out there and do something weird or edgy. The Who doesn't have anything to prove. They don't need to be avant-garde artists. They just did the job.

While I don't think The Who would like being called "safe", I think they rather enjoyed the gig and the paycheck.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt
Old 02-08-2010, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
Doubt it, Sniper. I listen to a lot of the music my folks listened to growing up. It's timeless. I will listen to the Beatles, Who, Hendrix, Zepplin for the rest of my life. Anyone want to bet how well a Britney Spears or Beyonce box set sells in another 20 yrs.?
Old 02-08-2010, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: