Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Super Moderator

Garage
Some of you guys have optimistic ideas about commute time to/from/around UCLA. It once took me 2+ hours to drive from Santa Monica to The Mint (9.4 miles). It is time dependent, but the reality is that the 405/10 area is incredibly busy. Also, getting to K-town and places like Silverlake, etc can be a royal PITA from the westside (K-town less so as at least it is west of the 101). And the valley? I wouldn't do that commute regularly unless you can timeshift or have lots of meds.

I love Pasadena. No way you want to live there and commute to the west side. btdt.

$1400/mo for what size place? Your best bet is west LA, Culver City, Palms. I had a 1-br place in west LA (almost walking distance to UCLA) that was about $1400/mo. The 2br place was more than that. Highly dependent on the building and location. You can check CL or pay $60 for westside rentals subscription. My 2br place in Santa Monica was $2300/mo.

Do you know where your job will be? And is she a student and what's her schedule on campus? Those things all go into the equation.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:19 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
I01IOI1

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to slodave
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
And the valley? I wouldn't do that commute regularly unless you can timeshift or have lots of meds.
It's really not that difficult to get to UCLA from here during the traffic hours. You just need to know which roads to take. I used to commute to Century City from Encino and back. The worst traffic was city side. Even DT is not bad. I think the worst has been an hour. It's usually always about a half hour.
'84 Targa - Arena Red AX #104
'01 Toyota Corolla - Urban Camouflage
Old 04-11-2012, 08:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Yeah, but you're still stuck living in the valley
Old 04-11-2012, 08:36 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
I01IOI1

Garage
I like living in the Valley. It can get a bit hot, but less crowded.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
The slog from the valley to UCLA is not that bad, depending on where in the valley. You'll be crawling on the 405 or through a canyon but it's do-able. At least UCLA is right next to the freeway.

The worst place to be is Santa Monica or other beach areas, unless you work/stay there. The west side is locked-down during much of the day. Where I live does not even compare.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Some of you guys have optimistic ideas about commute time to/from/around UCLA. It once took me 2+ hours to drive from Santa Monica to The Mint (9.4 miles). It is time dependent, but the reality is that the 405/10 area is incredibly busy. Also, getting to K-town and places like Silverlake, etc can be a royal PITA from the westside (K-town less so as at least it is west of the 101). And the valley? I wouldn't do that commute regularly unless you can timeshift or have lots of meds.

I love Pasadena. No way you want to live there and commute to the west side. btdt.

$1400/mo for what size place? Your best bet is west LA, Culver City, Palms. I had a 1-br place in west LA (almost walking distance to UCLA) that was about $1400/mo. The 2br place was more than that. Highly dependent on the building and location. You can check CL or pay $60 for westside rentals subscription. My 2br place in Santa Monica was $2300/mo.

Do you know where your job will be? And is she a student and what's her schedule on campus? Those things all go into the equation.
i just did Silverlake to the Westgate of Bel Air, right across the street from UCLA, just right under an hour at 9:00 this morning. I go straight down Sunset Blvd. and used a few side streets. I live about 10 minutes east of the actual lake. No traffic between my house and the lake.

Many people do that drive from the edge (or a lot farther) of eaast side of downtown to the area around UCLA. Nothing wrong with living out there. its just a lot of cars and stop and go traffic all day and all weekend long. That's not the LA I grew up in, so I try to deal with that type of traffic as little as possible.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:29 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
The slog from the valley to UCLA is not that bad, depending on where in the valley. You'll be crawling on the 405 or through a canyon but it's do-able. At least UCLA is right next to the freeway.

The worst place to be is Santa Monica or other beach areas, unless you work/stay there. The west side is locked-down during much of the day. Where I live does not even compare.
Yeah, going from the 10 and the 405 to downtown santa Monica will take 30 minutes. The same distance around Korean Town or Hancock park should take less then half that. Just stay off Wilshire, right?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
My advice is to get within 5 miles or less. 5 miles easily can take 20 minutes in LA. You could take the bike for 5 miles or less. You do not mention what you expect for $1400? I hope not more than a room! I think the valley is insane to get to UCLA, even though it may only be 10 miles, it is possibly the worst stretch of road in the area.

You may have to spend more, but you know gas isn't getting cheaper any time soon and time is money as well. Sitting in traffic is the worst thing you can do with your time. Ask me how I know ...

G
Old 04-11-2012, 10:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
Yeah, going from the 10 and the 405 to downtown santa Monica will take 30 minutes.
What time of day? Plenty of times I can go from west LA to Santa Monica in 10 minutes or less.

The devil is in the details and the timing.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slodave View Post
It's really not that difficult to get to UCLA from here during the traffic hours. You just need to know which roads to take. I used to commute to Century City from Encino and back. The worst traffic was city side. Even DT is not bad. I think the worst has been an hour. It's usually always about a half hour.
I would like to see daily commute times logged in a spreadsheet. I guarantee you are >45 average.

Asking a commuter how long it takes to get to work is like asking an alcoholic how many beers he drinks a day. To get the real number, you have to multiply by at least two.

I have kept a run chart for commute times and it has been sobering. We all are optimists and remember the days we got to work or home quickly ... once you start logging, you get the real story and paying more rent or moving is suddenly a very good option!

G
Old 04-11-2012, 10:05 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Find an area and drive it on the weekend and add 20-30 minutes to that. Let us know, so we can tell you just how much time to add to the traveling realistically. it really depends on where.

If you decide to live about 15 miles of UCLA, factor in an hour going in and an hour coming out. That would be safe. I drive to Bel Air, and Westwood when there's a need to work out there. It usually takes me right under an hour. I live in Mt Washington. If you live about 15 miles away, you should be able to find a pretty safe and comfy 2 bed, 1 bath place for about 1500 bucks.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:07 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
I01IOI1

Garage
I don't have a consistent schedule anymore. Sometimes I have to be somewhere early in the morning, sometimes late afternoon. My data would not be very accurate. It also doesn't matter where I live. I have to travel to Simi Valley, Pacoima, Down Town, Brentwood.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:09 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
What time of day? Plenty of times I can go from west LA to Santa Monica in 10 minutes or less.

The devil is in the details and the timing.
I will only do that between 9-11:30am or 1 to 2:30pm. Unless I had to, I will do it another day. Olympic will move ok. After that, it will move slower and slower all the way until 6-7pm.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:10 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Unless you live in a particular area, or commute there *every* day, then you don't know the patterns of life and associated traffic. And as much as a few blocks in one direction or another can make a significant difference.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head416 View Post
I currently work in San Berdoo; the plan is find a new job closer to our new place. I'm okay with my wife commuting a bit to get to UCLA, she doesn't need to be RIGHT there. Based on just eyeing Google Maps I'm looking at Torrance, Thousand Oaks, Glendale as possible locations.

I'm also okay with closer, but need to skip over Inglewood and Compton and I'm assuming right in the middle of LA will get pricey. West Hollywood is also not of the top of the list. NTTAWWT.
You may want to look into Sherman Oaks, north of Ventura Boulevard. You could get to UCLA over the hill on Beverly Glen and avoid a lot of freeway clogs around here. I have done that many times. I live near UCLA, what size apartment are you looking for? WestsideRentals.com is a good place to go to and search.
65 912 Coupe Sold
62 356B Coupe Sold
Old 04-11-2012, 10:18 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aigel View Post
I would like to see daily commute times logged in a spreadsheet. I guarantee you are >45 average.

Asking a commuter how long it takes to get to work is like asking an alcoholic how many beers he drinks a day. To get the real number, you have to multiply by at least two.

I have kept a run chart for commute times and it has been sobering. We all are optimists and remember the days we got to work or home quickly ... once you start logging, you get the real story and paying more rent or moving is suddenly a very good option!

G
For Dave to get over the hill, I am sure he uses the residential streets. They are never really that crowded but narrow. Many will twist and turn, most do not like to use it because there are many dead ends. they move you along well. many are right off Vally Vista. 20-30 minutes you can be in the valley from the UCLA.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:20 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
I01IOI1

Garage
I use a combo. Depends on the day and time and where I need to go. I shouldn't say it, but Sepulveda Blvd. is usually overlooked as a means of going through the pass. I used to sit in the 405 parking lot for my daily commute to CC. I would look over at Sepulveda and watch the traffic whiz by.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slodave View Post
I use a combo. Depends on the day and time and where I need to go. I shouldn't say it, but Sepulveda Blvd. is usually overlooked as a means of going through the pass. I used to sit in the 405 parking lot for my daily commute to CC. I would look over at Sepulveda and watch the traffic whiz by.
The trick on the 405 going south is not to be on the number 1 land, but the outer most right lane. You already knew that. Yes, Sepulveda is a lot faster if not just about the same as the fwy when the fwy is moving. I snake around Roscomare going through the West Gate or Bellargio. No one's on it until you get to the signal at Mulholland going North. You may get 10-15 cars waiting there during traffic hour. 5-8 nminutes from UCLA to Mulholland.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

i have two buddies at work...one commutes from west hollywood everyday. ...the other from playa del rey. to palmdale. absolutely insane.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:21 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
Okay, to answer some questions...

The wife will generally have an 8-5-ish schedule, school some days, internship others.
For $1,400 I'd like to find a 2 bed / 2 bath if possible. That's why I wasn't planning on being right near downtown, but a bit removed.
I thought Thousand Oaks was The Valley! My wife has been trying to explain The Valley to me for ten years and I never get it right!
A back house would probably be the best scenario, but I realize those will be harder to find than apartments. I plan to take the various cities you guys suggest to Craigslist to see what's out there.

You guys are mentioning all sorts of cities I've never even heard of. I'll need to read through this thread again with a map handy. Keep'em comin!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:51 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: