Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums
 
  Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
I agree with nearly everything in this post. Living in SM is the cat's ass if you work in Playa or any of the beach cities nearby. I love SM and started out in the SM canyon in 1982 but instead I've moved steadily east. From SM beach to Brentwood/Palisades/Beverly Glen canyon/Laurel canyon/K-town.

My world for the most part exists within the borders of DT/the valley/WeHo/Hollywood Hills. I don't have a normal commute and move very easily between all those places. I love the beach and have 3 or 4 close friends in Malibu that I visit, just not during drive-time. When I say that SM and the west side is "locked down", I mean that you cannot get in or out during either rush hour. I stick by that statement. But it's awesome if you don't have to leave.

As for the definitions of "west side" or "west L.A.", that's a good question. WLA is a definite geographical location as explained by Todd but people use "the west side" to mean anything west of them. There is a running joke in L.A. among hipsters that they either A) "Never go west of LaCienega" or B) Never go west of LaBrea/Vermont/downtown/etc. depending on just how hip they want to appear.

To someone in east L.A. or Highland Park, (where look171 lives), "the west side" can mean everything west of DT. The generally accepted definition of "the west side" is everything west of Hollywood including WeHo and Beverly Hills. That's what the media means when they talk about "rich west-side liberals", etc...
Yeah, I am a little old school. West side is known to us from the old days is the area from Bundy to LaCienega and Olympic or Pico to Sunset. Yes, and I think its still very truth that they do not cross LaCienega. They are getting bold and many are coming all the way to Labrea. Damn, the couple lawyers who bought lives across the street from me have gotten tired of renting in Santa Monica.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Registered User
 
mikester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: My House
Posts: 5,120
Send a message via AIM to mikester
HA! 30-45 minute commute to UCLA!

HA!

Seriously.

HA!

The south bound commute from the valley I hear is not as bad as the northbound into that area.

I live in El Segundo myself and when I go to the office that office is right off the 405 at Santa Monica blvd. Via the 405 during the rush hours (anytime between 7am - 10am or 4pm to 7pm) that commute can suck. Completely.

Still, I can get to that office on Santa Monica BLVD in 30-45 minutes using surface streets (Head up persing and over via Jefferson/Culver to either Centinila/Bundy or straight up to Sepulveda. Then either Centinlia/Bundy north to Venice or so and then over to Sepulveda north. I take Sepulveda to the office and I'm there. It's not horrible usually but once minor glitch and it can be.

The 405 is pointless in the morning going north.

South in the afternoon however is less pointless. I can even sometimes make it home from the office in 20-30 minutes.

One problem is your commute 'today' might change drastically over time due to construction in that area on the major routes. It's constant - it won't end soon and who knows what it will be like when it is done. You're trying to get to the heart of LA's Carmageddon zone.

Anyway - Santa Monica is nice and worth a look though in your price range I think maybe you'll fail.

You might look to go east but the quality of the neighborhood drops as you go east.

You might consider West Chester or Mar Vista which are just north of LAX and south of Venice and well within your zone.

Further south is El Segundo and the other areas you mentioned but they probably get pricier too. I've never rented in El Segundo but I know what my mortgage is!
__________________
-The Mikester

I heart Boobies
Old 04-12-2012, 10:57 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester View Post
HA! 30-45 minute commute to UCLA!

HA!

Seriously.

HA!

The south bound commute from the valley I hear is not as bad as the northbound into that area.

I live in El Segundo myself and when I go to the office that office is right off the 405 at Santa Monica blvd. Via the 405 during the rush hours (anytime between 7am - 10am or 4pm to 7pm) that commute can suck. Completely.


Still, I can get to that office on Santa Monica BLVD in 30-45 minutes using surface streets (Head up persing and over via Jefferson/Culver to either Centinila/Bundy or straight up to Sepulveda. Then either Centinlia/Bundy north to Venice or so and then over to Sepulveda north. I take Sepulveda to the office and I'm there. It's not horrible usually but once minor glitch and it can be.

The 405 is pointless in the morning going north.

South in the afternoon however is less pointless. I can even sometimes make it home from the office in 20-30 minutes.

One problem is your commute 'today' might change drastically over time due to construction in that area on the major routes. It's constant - it won't end soon and who knows what it will be like when it is done. You're trying to get to the heart of LA's Carmageddon zone.

Anyway - Santa Monica is nice and worth a look though in your price range I think maybe you'll fail.

You might look to go east but the quality of the neighborhood drops as you go east.

You might consider West Chester or Mar Vista which are just north of LAX and south of Venice and well within your zone.

Further south is El Segundo and the other areas you mentioned but they probably get pricier too. I've never rented in El Segundo but I know what my mortgage is!

I agree with you Mike. I just didn't want to be the bad guy to say it about going east. They are not so good, but there are pockets that are very nice, also once you go toward Hollywierd. They get nicer and nicer once you get past downtown going east. There's always Silverlake, or a back house in Frogtown. mainly working class, but not too bad.

By the way, those batteries you gave me, they put many a smile on my little kid's face. Thanks again.

Jeff

Last edited by look 171; 04-12-2012 at 11:30 PM..
Old 04-12-2012, 11:28 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
Registered User
 
mikester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: My House
Posts: 5,120
Send a message via AIM to mikester
Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
I agree with you Mike. I just didn't want to be the bad guy to say it about going east. They are not so good, but there are pockets that are very nice, also once you go toward Hollywierd. They get nicer and nicer once you get past downtown going east. There's always Silverlake, or a back house in Frogtown. mainly working class, but not too bad.

By the way, those batteries you gave me, they put many a smile on my little kid's face. Thanks again.

Jeff
Anytime dude. Glad they worked out.

Landscaping project is in the 'interview contractor and get bid' stage - your help was quite good.
__________________
-The Mikester

I heart Boobies

Last edited by mikester; 04-13-2012 at 12:27 AM..
Old 04-13-2012, 12:25 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester View Post
Anytime dude. Glad they worked out.

Landscaping project is in the 'interview contractor and get bid' stage - your help was quite good.
Make sure you see the words, Guaranteed Maximum Price in their contract. I think I remember you have a little issue with water collection around the lower section of the house? I think it was you. Get that water away from the house. Lost of landscape guys over look stuff like that. Good luck with it.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:33 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Head416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,849
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
You'll need to seriously reset your expectations if you move to the westside wrt housing. Assume you'll pay double or triple for the equivalent size you have now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh R View Post
$1,400/month? I don't know rent, but I think that will get you a garage with no running water or toilet.
Yeah, I knew it would be expensive right around UCLA, that's why my plan was to be about an hour away (by morning commute standards).
__________________
Aaron
'81 911SC RoW Targa
Old 04-13-2012, 10:52 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)
 
Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Registered User
 
Head416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,849
Garage
Update: I'll be working near the east side of LAX, which is pretty much a straight shot 10 miles down the 405 from UCLA.

How long would it take to go north on the 405 10 or 15 miles to UCLA during morning traffic? How about from the Torrance area to UCLA?

I've seen a lot of options for small places around the $1,600-$1,800 range. Some even around Mar Vista, Culver City, Downtown LA. Some more options around Torrance, but I'm concerned that drive will be too long.
__________________
Aaron
'81 911SC RoW Targa
Old 06-15-2012, 03:41 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Head416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,849
Garage
Also, if we lived pretty close to UCLA, how's the southbound drive between there and LAX on the 405 during the morning rush?
__________________
Aaron
'81 911SC RoW Targa
Old 06-15-2012, 03:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Driver
 
Noah930's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,875
Garage
Hope you're on the east side of LAX, as there's not much work available west of the airport.

Going north or south, I think the area between UCLA and LAX has got to be some of the worst rush hour traffic around. 10-15 miles will seem long in stop-and-go. Throw in an accident or three and you'll lose patience pretty quickly. Is there anything in between?

I live in the Valley. And when I commute going north on the 405, even at 6 am I see a solid wall of 4 lanes of headlights going the other way from the Ventura Fwy up to near the 14.
__________________
1987 Venetian Blue (really looks like grey) 930 Coupe

Last edited by Noah930; 06-15-2012 at 05:03 PM..
Old 06-15-2012, 05:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,977
Head,

I don't go down that far near the airport. I stop around the 10fwy. I work mostly north of the 10 near Sunset or around Westwood. I have to be honest with you, Its not pretty going north or south on that 405. 10am-2pm during the week is about the only time you will catch me on there. Torrance to UCLA may take as long as 40 minutes during rush hour. For Friday or rain, then add another 15+ minutes
Old 06-15-2012, 05:11 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Head416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,849
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
... Torrance to UCLA may take as long as 40 minutes during rush hour. For Friday or rain, then add another 15+ minutes
That is actually less than I feared. I call that an easy (enough) commute. I'm doing 30-60 minutes currently between Upland and San Bernardino.

The other factor is that I will need to go to Irvine 1-2 times per week, so I want to live more south than north. I'm eyeing Culver City, but Torrance or Gardena might be better. If that would be a 40 minute commute on most days that might work for us. Under 30 would be better, but I don't think the wife is willing to live in South Central.
__________________
Aaron
'81 911SC RoW Targa
Old 06-17-2012, 04:32 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Rick Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Cave Creek, AZ USA
Posts: 33,795
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post
Hope you're on the east side of LAX, as there's not much work available west of the airport.

Going north or south, I think the area between UCLA and LAX has got to be some of the worst rush hour traffic around. 10-15 miles will seem long in stop-and-go. Throw in an accident or three and you'll lose patience pretty quickly. Is there anything in between?

I live in the Valley. And when I commute going north on the 405, even at 6 am I see a solid wall of 4 lanes of headlights going the other way from the Ventura Fwy up to near the 14.
I only do the 405 on the bike. Can't imagine doing it in cage.
__________________
'96 993 C2
'06 K1200R
Old 06-17-2012, 05:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head416 View Post
That is actually less than I feared. I call that an easy (enough) commute. I'm doing 30-60 minutes currently between Upland and San Bernardino.

The other factor is that I will need to go to Irvine 1-2 times per week, so I want to live more south than north. I'm eyeing Culver City, but Torrance or Gardena might be better. If that would be a 40 minute commute on most days that might work for us. Under 30 would be better, but I don't think the wife is willing to live in South Central.
The good things is you move from Upland to San Bernardino, not sitting bumper to bumper?

It depends on where in Torrance are you, they have their own traffic jams too. Its a mess there as well during rush hour. My buddy takes 20 minutes to get to the fwy in the morning. Without traffic, it only take 5. there is no letting up there. Weekend are just as bad. My estimation is from a general freeway on ramp to the Sunset off ramp near UCLA. So, from your place in Torrance to the Fwy may be another 15 minutes getting stuck on surface streets. No, no South Central. Don't do that. Don't be anywhere near the 110 or the 710 north of Long Beach. Again, Glendale, Burbank and the northern part of LA maybe doable because if you have to go down to Irvine, get to the 210 and pick up the 605 south and pick up the part of the 5 in OC where the fwy has been widen. Plus they drive 85 as soon as they get past LA county.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:11 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
Driver
 
Noah930's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,875
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I only do the 405 on the bike. Can't imagine doing it in cage.
Heading north on the 405 in the morning, if you're north of the Sepulveda pass (in the San Fernando Valley) there's no traffic. An easy 70 mph. Conversely, heading south on the 405 through the San Fernando Valley in the afternoon/evening is also decent (maybe 60-65 mph). Anything south of the Ventura Fwy (134) is a nightmare for most of the day, IMO.
__________________
1987 Venetian Blue (really looks like grey) 930 Coupe
Old 06-17-2012, 06:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...
 
aigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: L.A. area
Posts: 10,498
Garage
Not sure how you can call a 1h (one way) commute bearable. I just got done commuting for 9 months for 1h 10min one way every day. This was a temporary solution until I could move the family. It took all my energy and spare time. What a mess. Worst was going home on Friday when it may take 1.5-2h after a long week. I got numb to the drive but having 1.5h+ missing out of your day is not good. I would never set myself up more than 30 minutes from work long term. JMHO. If you can't make that happen in L.A., don't move there.

G
__________________
97 993
81 SC (sold)
Old 06-17-2012, 09:34 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,977
Two hours is tough in that crawling traffic George. where do you have to go, east on the 210? That's a freaking nightmare on Fridays. It doesn't let up until 8 or 9pm sometimes. I found out the hard way.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:10 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...
 
aigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: L.A. area
Posts: 10,498
Garage
I used to - 210 east for 20+ miles on Friday. Once commuter traffic goes, LV traffic comes. Like you said, even leaving work at 7 pm wouldn't cut it! I moved to the SFV and done with it!

G
__________________
97 993
81 SC (sold)
Old 06-17-2012, 10:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
Neusgat Kass
 
Nostril Cheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head416 View Post
Update: I'll be working near the east side of LAX, which is pretty much a straight shot 10 miles down the 405 from UCLA.

How long would it take to go north on the 405 10 or 15 miles to UCLA during morning traffic? How about from the Torrance area to UCLA?
.
hour to hour and a half.

Driving north on the 405 in the morning is not only pointless, but insane.
__________________
2008 Volvo C30
1994 Isuzu Trooper
Old 06-17-2012, 10:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Head416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,849
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostril Cheese View Post
hour to hour and a half.

Driving north on the 405 in the morning is not only pointless, but insane.
Are you saying an hour and a half from Torrance to UCLA? Hopefully you don't mean from LAX to UCLA.

UCLA and working near LAX are fixed. The choice we have is where to live. $2,000/month is higher than we should go, so we're limited on choices. I'm just trying to find the balance. Maybe we'll just stick with the Culver City area and I'll have to suck it up when I go to Irvine. She'll have homework at night, I won't.
__________________
Aaron
'81 911SC RoW Targa
Old 06-18-2012, 10:49 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,977
Take a day, drive it and see for yourself. Do it on a Saturday morning or noon. The traffic is almost as bad. You just need to add some more time to that.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:55 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)
Old 06-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:54 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2011 Pelican Parts - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.