Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 2.92 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Bye, Bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim72911t View Post
I'm fortunate enough to make my living designing and manufacturing high end (albeit niche) bicycle components.
Please, do tell. Very interested!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Please, do tell. Very interested!
"Paul's" - isn't it? Maybe I'm mixing him up with another Pelican. Neat-o stuff.

angela
81 Coupe "Butters" SCWDP #0036
Dad's SS - 87 Monte Carlo Aerocoupe
Traveling sucks, but it sucks a great deal less when you're driving a Porsche.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Kind of like what I am doing with my Somec....

Colnago Master x Light Team Mapei Campagnolo Record Carbon Delta Brakes | eBay

Old 12-04-2012, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim72911t View Post
That is some seriously cool Shyite! I remember those square chainstay Redlines. And the Webco? Wow, just wow. In my SoCal neighborhood in the mid '70's-early '80's, those were some of the first non-StingRay based BMX bikes. Along with the original Mongoose, Redline, GT, Powerlite, JMC, and a few others that I'm forgetting.

What's the green bike?
That is a Kastan Uni strut, Lynn Kastan is the one who Created Red-Line, and after
he sold Red-Line, he started Kastan, and this was one of his 1st under the new brand.

I've been into BMX since before these Scrambles were new..

This is a very rare Mongoose built up with some rare parts..

Not as old, but very rare..

I also have some "Retro" bikes..
This frame was made by Supercross back in 2005 and they only made 27 frames. 2 of the 27 went to Mr GJS himself Jeff Utterbach and only 25 was sold to public. Built with Old school geometry from a OM Flyer and still utilizing the old school sizing: 1" threaded headset, 7/8" seatpost etc.

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 12-04-2012, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Great stuff as usual Byron. About those Scramblers: While I might be a couple of years younger than you , I used to score those Scramblers at LA area police actions when I was a kid. At one point I probably had 5 or 6 of them, and don't think I ever paid more than $20 each.

Angela, yes, you are correct.

Paul Component Engineering

I run the shop, do some engineering, develop new product, and program some CNC's. Not a bad way to make a living.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Bye, Bye.

Paul Components are great. I had no idea you were the man behind the scene. I think I may have a Paul hat laying around here somewhere.

I am envious. What a great way to make a living!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
Recently my cousin and I decided we have had enough of buying custom mtn bike frames (Dean, Strong, IF, etc). So....we started building them ourselves. 29ers only....of course.....

A couple of the road bikes. The Tarmac was just built up with the new Di2 components. AMAZING!!!

And a cruiser bike used on vacations....
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 12-05-2012, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Byron: LOVE, LOVE, LOVE...your collection!

Will944: Nice bikes! How many are you planning? what materials? taking custom requests?

Built this up a couple months ago right before the Bianchi. Working on a new hardtail that should be done by this time next week.
1974 BMW 3.0cs (Penelope)
2004 Chevy Astro Van (The Skipper)
Old 12-05-2012, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikita76 View Post
Will944: Nice bikes! How many are you planning? what materials? taking custom requests?
My cousin has really gone nuts with the frame building and started an LLC named Belltown Bikes. I am busy with running my manufacturing facility.....so I support him in terms of making some drop outs, stainless steel parts, fixtures....even hooked him up with a lathe for his basement.

If you good Belltown Bikes his flicker account will show up. He's up around 40 frames now. Real real nice stuff....and well priced! If you ever need anything PM me.
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 12-06-2012, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Cool, what's he getting for a frame? He might want to set up a FB page.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikita76 View Post
Byron: LOVE, LOVE, LOVE...your collection!

Built this up a couple months ago right before the Bianchi. Working on a new hardtail that should be done by this time next week.
Thanks, debating on building this,

I've got some goodies to build this Loop Tail PK Ripper up with, thinking Blue Z Rims, but to powder coat white, or leave silver..

I'm still riding this bad boy, just added some Look pedals..

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 12-06-2012, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
From Biking in LA, a BIKE BLOG

The news hit like a bombshell Wednesday night.

After years of ignoring the problem, the Los Angeles press discovered the cityís hit-and-run epidemic when the LA Weekly unveiled an extensive examination of what may be the city's most common crime.

The article, by writer Simone Wilson, cites the shocking news that 48% of all L.A. collisions are hit-and-runs. Or at least, shocking to anyone who hasnít been fighting to call attention to the problem, and trying desperately to get city officials to actually do something about it.

Although to be fair, in the meetings Iíve attended, LAPD has consistently said that roughly 33% percent of all collisions are hit-and-runs, based on COMPSTAT data. And unfortunately, the Weekly doesnít explain where they got the higher figure.

But either way, itís too damn high.

I wonít recap the article here. If you want the short version, you can get it from LA Streetsblog or The Atlantic Cities; if thereís any justice at all, it will soon be picked up by the larger mainstream press.

Or better yet, click the link in the second paragraph and read the full article yourself. And try to retain the contents of your stomach when you do.

The question is what can we do about it.

Most of the efforts by advocates working to do something about the problem have focused on addressing it after the fact.

Like raising the profile of the crime to put it on equal footing with other violent crimes. And increasing the number of officers assigned to investigate hit-and-run collisions ó particularly those involving serious injury. Which won't be easy given that the department is desperately trying to avoid further budget and staffing cutbacks.

Meanwhile, others, such as the recent Life Before License campaign, have focused on ensuring that drivers who arenít willing to observe the most basic requirement to remain at the scene of a collision will have their driverís licenses suspended ó something that has failed to happen in a shocking number of cases.

Which sends clear message just how seriously our courts donít take traffic crimes.

All of these efforts are important, and deserve our support.

On the other hand, Iíd rather stop hit-and-runs before they occur by changing state law to remove the incentive to flee. And making the cost for running away so steep that no one in his or her right mind would think itís worth the risk.

Long-time readers may recall that Iíve advocated a three-point plan to do just that. And recently added a fourth to address the heartless bastards who leave their victims to die on the street.

1. One of the most common reasons people take off following a collision is that theyíve been drinking or are otherwise under the influence of something. Yet current state law actually encourages drivers to flee by making the penalty for hit-and-run less onerous than the penalty for DUI. So we should start by removing that incentive, as Colorado did at the urging of cyclists, by making the penalties for hit-and-run equal to the penalties for DUI.

However, given Californiaís current prison overcrowding, it's highly unlikely that anyone convicted under a toughened law would serve their full sentence. So I suggest we take it further.

2. Anyone who leaves the scene of a collision should have their license automatically revoked ó not suspended ó by the DMV. By committing the crime of hit-and-run, theyíve shown a callous indifference to both the law and the lives and safety of others, and are undeserving of the privilege of driving. By making this an administrative action, it can be taken regardless of whether the driver is ever charged or convicted. The driver would have to go before an administrative judge to request the right to apply for a new license ó and should face a higher standard to get it.

3. Hit-and-run is the only crime where the criminal is allowed to keep the weapon he or she used, even after a conviction; after all, bank robbers arenít given back the gun they used. Any car used to commit a hit-and-run should be impounded as evidence until a decision is made on whether to file charges or until the trial is concluded. If the driver is convicted, the vehicle should be seized by the state and sold, with the proceeds going to the victim. After all, the state can already seize cars used in drug crimes or to solicit prostitutes; isnít running away after killing or injuring another human being just a little more serious than trolling for a blowjob?

And I guarantee people will think twice about running away if they have to continue making payments on a car they donít own anymore.

As I mentioned, Iíve recently added a fourth item to this list, after one too many cases in which a hit-and-run driver has left their victim to die on the streets ó yet authorities canít manage to find anything to charge the driver with thatís in any way commensurate to crime.

4. The greatest tragedy in any fatal hit-and-run is that in many cases, the victim might have been saved with prompt emergency care. But instead of calling for help, the drivers run off, leaving their victims to suffer and die alone, when they might otherwise have been saved. So prosecutors should be encouraged ó if not required ó to file unpremeditated degree murder charges in any case where thereís even the slightest possibility the victim might have survived if theyíd gotten help.

Itís a tough approach. And quite frankly, despite discussions with a few state legislators, Iíve yet to find one willing to take up the fight.

Theyíd rather pretend the problem doesnít exist. Or that nothing can be done about it, while countless cyclists, pedestrians and motorists continue to bleed.

Or die.

Then thereís one other element that should be considered.

Every police officer with whom Iíve discussed the problem of hit-and-run, without exception, has said there are two primary reason drivers flee. First, because they may be intoxicated, or second, because the drivers may be undocumented, with no license or insurance.

Of course, thereís also a third, somewhat smaller category. Some people are just gutless *******s who refuse to take responsibility for their actions.

But until we allow all residents of the state ó whether or not they are here legally ó to apply for a license and buy the insurance required by law for all drivers, we will continue to give them a reason to run away.

It doesnít mean we are legitimizing their status; the state does not have the power to do that.

It just means that we recognize the problem.

And itís long past time we did something about it.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
So I found a seller of one of these up in the Bay Area.....

Gonna find a hand engraver and have him copy this......as it was missing from my bike. Anyone know a good hand engraver....

Old 12-07-2012, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Better late than never....Campy 11 speed ELS

Campagnolo’s new 11-speed Athena EPS puts electronic shifting within easy reach

No retail price as yet.....any guesses?
Old 12-07-2012, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Garage
Are you looking for a seatpost? Exactly what and in what size? I'll keep my eye out.

Quote:
So I found a seller of one of these up in the Bay Area.....

Gonna find a hand engraver and have him copy this......as it was missing from my bike. Anyone know a good hand engraver....

Old 12-08-2012, 03:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

todays yard sale finds

joe breeze mt rock-shock quadra 21R shimano delore lx group
richie rims seat+post and brake levers
nimbus armdillo tires presto valve tubes
needs a new chain

and a 15lbs redline 20" mini race bike
Old 12-08-2012, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Old 12-08-2012, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
That purple rainbow crank is.....sooo.....you....

EDIT: I appears that hand engraving is a lost and dying art.....

Last edited by Joe Bob; 12-08-2012 at 11:23 AM..
Old 12-08-2012, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bob View Post
That purple rainbow crank is.....sooo.....you....

EDIT: I appears that hand engraving is a lost and dying art.....
That's a mantis x-frame, circa early 80's, one of the first mountain bikes out there. one of the bikes that started this whole thing.
And no it ain't mine.

Back then I was riding a paramount that looked durn near i-dentical to this one cept the rear triangle mighta been a little tighter, Pretty sure that's a touring frame, mine weren't:

Old 12-08-2012, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

the geometry of mine looked closer to this one IIRC (but it weren't red, didn't have sissy aero stuff, and it were a 62 cm):

Last edited by sammyg2; 12-08-2012 at 11:45 AM..
Old 12-08-2012, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: