Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

At our annual carnival, I place myself on parking duty mainly to make sure that pedestrians don't get themselves run over. It is a real danger precisely because so many people just don't think and take into account the fact that they will be run over by a car.

I even painted fat red crosswalk lines on the asphalt for them to stay behind. My guys and I say "stay behind the red line please, cars are coming". Most people then say thank you, and instruct their kids to do the same.

But unless they have that protection instinct for others such as their own kids, they don't have it for themselves either. They say "let the car hit me, I'll get rich". I've had to run out into traffic and pick up one or two toddlers. I don't get it, other than say that the most obvious pattern is that consciencious parents are consciencious people.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Between where I live and work, we have guys from a part of the world where I guess people drink outdoors only, gathered on a street corner or city boulevard, etc. Maybe their women won't let them have their scholarly friends over(?) IDK...

On several occasions, I've had to pull drunken guys up onto the curb because they passed out partially adjacent to a parked car's wheels, (where no driver on earth would be able to see them from the driver's seat), or on one occasion, with lower half of body in street exactly where a bus pulls into the bus stop.

Drinking can be a dangerous sport, especially outdoors.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post

Cerial, how does a person get hit by as train?
A family friend was killed by a train. No one knows why, but his car was stopped on the track. Witnesses said he got out of the car and ran. Train hit the car ('59 Chevy), the car hit him.

I could have been hit by a train.
When I was in high school I was on my way to take my SATs. I was sitting at a double train track with a barrier, watching the train go by. It was on the far set of tracks. Suddenly I saw a set of big ol' train wheels go tumbling down the center of the near track, about 15 feet from my car. They would have crushed the car if they had hit it.

An instant later a set of trucks, minus one set of wheels, came bouncing along between me and the train, it hit the train and bounced back toward me. It was close enough that it broke the barrier in front of my car.

Then a boxcar came along without the trucks under the back end. It went right past me, then jumped the track and got sideways about 200 feet down the track. The rest of the train plowed into it and the cars folded up together like an accordion. Fortunately the train stopped before the derailments got to where I was sitting.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
The other problem I run across all the time is riding their bikes at a decent clip, on the sidewalk, against traffic. Great way to take a header onto the hood of a car pulling out of a parking lot.

"The only two things you can truly depend upon are gravity and greed." - Jack Palance
Old 02-11-2016, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyGon View Post
Trains don't push noise ahead of them, you don't hear them until too late. I used to do some survey work on tracks and you always had someone with you watching behind you. You will not hear the train. Like a bullet, you hear it when it went by.
In Costa Rica I was always amazed with the people, walk in the street with perfectly good sidewalk just feet away. Driving in the country at night and come up on Ticos laying in the street looking at the stars. I have been passed on uphill curve at the crest, lots of car wrecks in that country.
interesting. I can sit at a local intersection with the train guards down, lights flashing and bells ringing, and can tell which direction the amtrak train is coming from just from the sound. it's a blind intersection and you can't see the train coming, but I can hear it 10 or 15 seconds before it gets there. I do it at least once a week.
And my hearing sux.

maybe the sound bounces off the walls or buildings nearby.

I remember when I was a yoot, putting pennies on the tracks. I could feel the rumbling of a big freighter well before it got there. the ground shook just before the train got there.

It's too bad there isn't some sort of warning that a train might be coming this way. Some sort of sign or TRACK......

Last edited by sammyg2; 02-11-2016 at 11:31 AM..
Old 02-11-2016, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyGon View Post
Trains don't push noise ahead of them, you don't hear them until too late. I used to do some survey work on tracks and you always had someone with you watching behind you. You will not hear the train. Like a bullet, you hear it when it went by.
They also have a vortex effect that can pull someone into them within a few feet. So, you might have just jumped out of the way in time, just to be pulled back under.

However, you still need to be a pretty big dunderhead to get run over by a train. Like, you gotta be trying. Usually, you gotta be walking...ya know...where trains tend to congregate...like TRACKS. Rarely will you be run over by a train if you are not standing on or near train tracks.

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 02-11-2016, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
The Broken Road

Quote:
interesting. I can sit at a local intersection with the train guards down, lights flashing and bells ringing, and can tell which direction the amtrak train is coming from just from the sound. it's a blind intersection and you can't see the train coming, but I can hear it 10 or 15 seconds before it gets there. I do it at least once a week.[/COLOR]
I can't embed this video, but some of the electric trains and other commuter trains are fairly quite depending on the ambient noise and the doppler approach.

https://youtu.be/pkTxXe3TddQ

This one wouldn't embed either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp7GUQZMQjo

But, of course, if you are on train track...

"...a traffic jam on a Venn diagram."

Last edited by Seahawk; 02-11-2016 at 11:43 AM..
Old 02-11-2016, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

OK you have convinced me that trains are indeed sneaky and stealthy and really quiet ('cept when those horns are blaring) and it's really easy to get hit by a train. if you are on the tracks.

Note to self, don't hang out on train tracks. Look both ways first.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
The Broken Road

Quote:
OK you have convinced me that trains are indeed sneaky and stealthy and really quiet ('cept when those horns are blaring) and it's really easy to get hit by a train. if you are on the tracks.

I know, I know. But between crossings when the horn is silent, they ARE quiet. I take the Acela a lot and have, standing on the platform at BWI tapping out an email on my iPad, been surprised by a train zipping by.

No excuses implied for not being aware. My scan is true.

"...a traffic jam on a Venn diagram."
Old 02-11-2016, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
I still say, if you are standing on the tracks, looking the wrong way, you will not hear it coming. Maybe the older trains make more noise but in my experience, you don't hear them.

Oh yeah, Trump won
I was wrong again but I will not apologize, I am a little man, Mike/satman
Old 02-11-2016, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
People cross the street and assume it's safe, they assume cars will stop for them, often they don't even bother to look up from their "happy" facebook or whatever.

They stand in the street and have a conversation, and just figure that cars will go around them.
The casually walk across the street, in no particular hurry, the cars can wait, the cars can stop, no sense looking up or rushing or anything.
I'd like to preface this with the statement that when I'm driving in a parking lot, I try to always let pedestrians have the right of way or get past in a way that they don't have to wait on me. I'm in my car, comfy on my rear with the AC blowing, and they are walking, so I try to always give them the pass. When I cross a road if I'm not using a crosswalk and the traffic is flowing, I try to always be out of the way of the cars so I don't get hit and they don't have to slow down for me.

That's when I want a horn like this. I'm pretty sure they'd squeeze a little pee or poo out if I hit them with one of these as they cruised across the street. Unfortunately, most of the folks with this type of horn are douchebags just like in the video.

As funny as this guy thinks it is to cruise around tooting his horn, it might be equally funny if he did it to someone that had a gun full of blanks that could scare him back.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 02-11-2016, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Quote:
Look both ways first.
Mamma was correct.

Last edited by john70t; 02-11-2016 at 12:53 PM..
Old 02-11-2016, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

Sammy, what is really unbelievable, and it's happened numerous times up here in and around Calgary (and I'm sure elsewhere), are teens walking on the tracks, using them as a short cut to get back home, and they're wearing headphones!!!...wtf!...and getting hit from behind!! It's happened about 4 times in the last few years...in all cases the train engineer had the horn blaring and just couldn't stop in time....unreal!

A number of years ago I was staying at my sister's place for a weekend when one evening she decides she's going to go for a run....it's wintertime so it's already dark outside. I see her at the door and she's got her headphones on, plugged into her Ipod. I stop her..."What are you doing!?! You're going out by yourself in the dark and you're totally tuned out of your surroundings..are you crazy! Talk about an easy target!" Anyway, she got the message...I told her that at all times you should be aware of your surroundings which means eyes and ears "on" 100% of the time....."Some drunk in a car could be barreling behind you and hit you on the sidewalk and you wouldn't have known what hit you!"

Anyway, about a week later, this was in the news....

Plane in emergency kills S.C. beach jogger - US news - Life | NBC News

She heard about it and thanked me for the lecture I gave her.....what are older brothers for!

'80 911SC Targa
'06 997 C4S Coupe - SOLD
'07 997TT Coupe
Old 02-11-2016, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

I never underestimate the stupidity these days.

A decade or more ago: I drove a cushman 3-wheeler vehicle on a major college campus. 80K students or so.
Most pedestrian crowds would cross(en mass) the wide open streets with little or no traffic.
But there was always the suicidal random human elements.
Some wanted to get hit.
Some would suddenly walk directly in front of my vehicle on purpose.

No accidents occurred on my watch.

Too many times, random people would try to create problems.
I have no problem with Darwin.

Last edited by john70t; 02-11-2016 at 01:11 PM..
Old 02-11-2016, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Old 02-11-2016, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

I just what the hell is the deal with the head phones? Is music that important? People are too preoccupied with too many useless distractions. It seems that most are younger folks that must have their head phones on at all times. Driving, eating, taking a dump. You name it its on. I have, at times, honk at them as they take up the entire road walking to their cars in the parking holding up parking lot traffic. They sometimes look and do nothing continue walking like if they own the road. Then there's the stupid ones that deserve to get hit.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
Personal responsibility for ones actions is no longer important.

Whatever happens was caused by the other person or some corporation's defective product and lack of warning labels.
I bought a professional iron (for ironing my clothes) 8 years ago.
One bright red label said, "Do not place your tongue on hot iron."
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 02-11-2016, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Look both ways before crossing the street.

That is what we were taught back in the olden days.
Our parents told us that, our teachers told us that, and we did it.

We learned to look both ways and make sure no cars were coming, and then quickly cross the street while it was safe.
AND WE DIDN'T GET FRICKING RAN OVER!!!!!!

Somehow that has all changed.
People cross the street and assume it's safe, they assume cars will stop for them, often they don't even bother to look up from their "happy" facebook or whatever.

They stand in the street and have a conversation, and just figure that cars will go around them.
The casually walk across the street, in no particular hurry, the cars can wait, the cars can stop, no sense looking up or rushing or anything.
The slowest seem to be English as a second language folks. In your face car owners!

So we turn on the news and hear about pedestrians getting run over crossing the street at 2 am, duh.
We hear about darwin award winners getting hit by freaking trains if you can believe it.
Just how stoopid have people gotten to get to this level? How do you get hit by a train?

I've never been his by a car. I will never get hit by a car.

Why? Because I am smarter than a car and I do not put myself in positions where cars can hit me. I learned that in first grade.

Maybe I'm looking at it all wrong. Maybe it's actually a good thing that the idiots get killed off, culling the herd so to speak.

Silver lining, yeah that's the ticket.

We have a pedestrian safety law that makes us stop for pedestrians in and out of crosswalks. This was enacted because of all the pedestrian accidents we have here. I thought it was stupid and unnecessary if pedestrians learned to look both ways before crossing. Apparently, this is not taught in our schools these days because the younger generation just walks straight into the crosswalk or roadway without looking.

Fast forward a few years and one of our legislators must have figured out the accidents aren't because of the drivers, it is because of the distracted pedestrian. So this legislative session, someone introduced a bill regarding walking while distracted aka using your phone (talking & texting while walking). lol
14 535i M Sport
Old 02-11-2016, 10:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
...Cerial, how does a person get hit by as train?
If you pay attention there are clues that tell you where a train is going. You can tell it's exact path if you try!

They can't all be suicides, some of those people were actually too stoopid to take a couple steps to the right or left before that huge LOUD THING that you can see 1/2 mile away gets here in 30 seconds.
It's not like the trains sneak Up on people, they have really loud HORNS!
Very sad story here. While in the Navy and during a port call in France or Italy in 1988 one of my shipmates was killed by a train. We worked in the same engine room and with a crew of about 330 sailors, everyone knew everyone else. The story was relayed that he witnessed an older woman drop her cane by the railroad tracks and, as he jumped over the tracks to retrieve her cane, he was immediately hit by a train, No one heard it coming.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Parrothead member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbutt View Post
as a tangent I've been seeing ALOT of drivers cruising around w/out their lights on during rain and snow storms. I've flashed them but they have been clueless so far.
That's one thing that makes me rage!

I'm not one for more regulations, but I wish daytime headlights were mandatory for all vehicles. People are just too clueless and ignorant.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: