Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINMAN View Post
That's one thing that makes me rage!

I'm not one for more regulations, but I wish daytime headlights were mandatory for all vehicles. People are just too clueless and ignorant.
That would make it worse. I think the problem is two-fold. Daytime running lights and always illuminated gauge clusters.
When it's dark, the people driving with their lights off can still see in front of them from ambient light, get flashes off of cars in front from their own DRL, and can clearly see their speeds and such because new cars always have gauge illumination. As far as their ignorant little heads go, everything seems fine, they have no clue that their lights are off.

Old cars without DRL and without illuminated gauges meant that once it got dark, you could see that it was dark, and couldn't see how fast you were going. You quickly turn the lights on then, because it's CLEAR that you forgot to.

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 02-12-2016, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

I have watched THREE videos over the past few weeks of people in So Cal stepping out into the street in a crosswalk and BLINDLY crossing without looking to see if cars are coming, or even glancing to see if cars are slowing down.
the people just walk across as if FAITH in the crosswalk was all that's needed to get across safely.

Yesterday I watched a video of a woman leading her 4 or 5 me-hoes across a big busy street and at no time could i see her even GLANCE into incoming traffic to see if any cars were coming.
She just kept dragging her litter across the road into traffic, until tragically they were hit.
A mother duck with her ducklings has more sense than this person did.

Obviously the little ones were not to blame, they didn't know any better.
The mother, who was too stupid to be alive, survived.

WTF is wrong with people?

Do we need to break out the likelihood/consequence chart and show them what's at stake?
Are they really that devoid of common sense?

Maybe nature is simply culling the herd but why take the innocent babies and leave the root cause, only to breed again?
Old 07-17-2017, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
Stupid kid was crossing the street yesterday in the middle of the block w/o looking. He was about a block ahead of me coming over from the left to my side of the street. I made sure I got up to him when he was in the middle of my lane. I was about 10 from him when he turned his head an saw me. He look at me like it was my fault that I almost hit him.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 07-17-2017, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post
I've never been hiT by a car. I will never get hit by a car.
I've never been struck by lightning, I must be doing something right.

I see poor behavior on pedestrians, bicyclists, scooters, motorcyclists, and drivers.

I think that part of this is because I am at that age of awareness, I am at that peak experience part of the curve just prior to rapid aging and deterioration. I seem to see everything wrong with the world, it just shouts at me in technicolor.

The other half of the problem is that people are distracted and preoccupied, they are not "in the moment".

Electronic distraction is the greater part of this equation.

Unplug and live.
George, Architect
Old 07-17-2017, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

And then there is this

People were yelling
I was too far away to be a hero so I filmed it in case the driver needed a witness

Fortunately with brakes locked up and wheels sliding she just moseyed on oblivious to what she had just escaped

Terrifying to watch
Helpless feeling so far away
( picture zoomed in)

Old 07-17-2017, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Old 07-17-2017, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
G'day!

Garage
Old 07-17-2017, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
What kills me are the people who walk down the middle of the street...........when there's a perfectly good sidewalk they could be using.

Even if they insist on walking in the street...why are they in the middle of the street?

I always thought it was a self-esteem issue...gave them a sense of "importance"...
Old 07-17-2017, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Admiral Obvious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbutt View Post
as a tangent I've been seeing ALOT of drivers cruising around w/out their lights on during rain and snow storms. I've flashed them but they have been clueless so far.
This for sure is pet peeve number 2,314,778 of mine!!! I have been in many a deluge with limited visibility and witnessed several with their lights off...nothing like coming up on someone with no tail lights, when you're struggling to see!!!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 07-17-2017, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

I'm not into blasting a train horn at people who are on the sidewalk, but I think people crossing the street and texting deserve a real good honk.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Uptight is a relative term.
So is Old.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Need to start airing that movie Deathrace 2000 where the drivers get points for killing pedestrians!
Old 07-17-2017, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
I engaged ABS today to keep from splattering some girl on the way to work. It was daylight, and she had a crosswalk sign that said don't walk. She was walking out in front of a car in lane #1 and I was in lane #2. To be honest, I should have been going slower, but she also shouldn't have been walking against the traffic. She did look up and see me and the other car and hot-foot it across when she did, at least. I've seen the same behavior 1000 times at the same place. I just don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
I have, at times, honk at them as they take up the entire road walking to their cars in the parking holding up parking lot traffic. They sometimes look and do nothing continue walking like if they own the road. Then there's the stupid ones that deserve to get hit.
I haven't run into that in the road, but I do have folks just randomly walking through the middle of parking lots. I always give a pedestrian the right of way because I'm sitting on my rear in a car and they are on foot. It's really easy for me to sit and wait. But at the same time, they shouldn't take the 60 second diagonal route across in front of me, but should take the 10 second perpendicular route so I can then go. I like the fact that my Boxster has the sport exhaust, so when I get into a parking lot full of pedestrians, I usually hit the sport button. Then I can blip the throttle when folks are stuck with their faces glued to their phone or whatever. A quick blip, they pretty much always look up and get out of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPOZZZ View Post

We have a pedestrian safety law that makes us stop for pedestrians in and out of crosswalks. This was enacted because of all the pedestrian accidents we have here. I thought it was stupid and unnecessary if pedestrians learned to look both ways before crossing. Apparently, this is not taught in our schools these days because the younger generation just walks straight into the crosswalk or roadway without looking.

Fast forward a few years and one of our legislators must have figured out the accidents aren't because of the drivers, it is because of the distracted pedestrian. So this legislative session, someone introduced a bill regarding walking while distracted aka using your phone (talking & texting while walking). lol
Nice. I'm all for a law that says that regardless of what a pedestrian is doing, the vehicle should attempt to do everything reasonably possible to avoid plowing through pedestrians. As a pedestrian, I certainly do everything within my power to avoid getting run over. That also doesn't mean that if a pedestrian does something stupid in front of me that I won't honk at them for being stupid. It doesn't cost me anything really to stop and then go again.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 07-17-2017, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
This for sure is pet peeve number 2,314,778 of mine!!! I have been in many a deluge with limited visibility and witnessed several with their lights off...nothing like coming up on someone with no tail lights, when you're struggling to see!!!
Yeah, people that don't turn on their lights in rain. If the rain is heavy, especially with certain car colors, cars can be invisible without their lights on.

What's said is the idiots that don't realize they don't have their headlights on because their car has DRL. I've flashed several and they never seem to know. I'd be perfectly happy with always on headlights.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 07-17-2017, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
Yeah, people that don't turn on their lights in rain. If the rain is heavy, especially with certain car colors, cars can be invisible without their lights on.

What's said is the idiots that don't realize they don't have their headlights on because their car has DRL. I've flashed several and they never seem to know. I'd be perfectly happy with always on headlights.
My stupid Toyota has a lit dash all the time and day time running lamps, so real easy to forget to turn on lights at night. Got to meet the local cops one morning because of it! I really think that if a manufacturer is going to have a lit dash they should be required to have automatic lights. While I'm going on about it, why not just use a clear lense on the dash so it doesn't need to be lit up?

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 07-17-2017, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Watch the light

https://youtu.be/TAmigznB_jE
Old 07-17-2017, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
Pedestrian should have the right of way. The consequence is so one sided.

Trouble is they use it as a force field.

Sent via Jedi mind trick.
Tonnage always has right of way...
Old 07-17-2017, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Free Exams All November!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
excellent height on the dismount, 8/10.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Old 07-17-2017, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

And in the cycle video from this week everyone walked away
Old 07-17-2017, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: