Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I've met Sully several times. We have a common friend and we have attended a number of the same parties. He is quiet, humble and unassuming. At one Halloween party someone came dressed as "Sully". A pilots uniform with goose feathers sticking out everywhere. Sully just smiled.

Anyway, I loved the movie. Hanks captures Sully's calm, understated confidence brilliantly. I have strong admiration for the man and his dedication to his craft. In the film when Sully is finally told that there were 155 lives accounted for I gotta admit I shed a tear.

If you want to see a good old fashioned movie about heroism, Sully is a fine choice.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Heroic?
That is not a word I throw around loosely......the work man did a fine job. Saved a lot of peoples lives, but what were his options?
Old 10-18-2016, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

I saw it twice. And liked it very much. Even more so the second time. One thing I missed during the first viewing was the small "fortune" (as in, from a fortune cookie) he pulled out of his wet wallet when he was back in his hotel room just recollecting the days events:

"it is better to have a delay than a disaster"

EDIT: I have no illusions that this was likely for dramatic effect, but I wonder...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 10-18-2016 at 08:26 AM..
Old 10-18-2016, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
I saw it twice. And liked it very much. Even more so the second time. One thing I missed during the first viewing was the small "fortune" (as in from a fortune cookie) he pulled out of his wet wallet when he was back in his hotel room just recollecting the days events:

"it is better to have a delay than a disaster"

EDIT: I have no illusions that this was likely for dramatic effect, but I wonder...
The fortune cookie thing is true. He carried it in his wallet for years.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
The fortune cookie thing is true. He carried it in his wallet for years.
NICE!!! I so wanted to believe that!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 10-18-2016, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

I also enjoyed Aaron Eckhart's portrayal of Jeff Skiles! Nice 'stache! But in all seriousness, he seemed to also keep his cool (his job and what he's trained to do) and appeared to have an intrinsic trust that Sully was making the right decisions. For sure, this had value in the outcome!
Old 10-18-2016, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J P Stein View Post
Heroic?
That is not a word I throw around loosely......the work man did a fine job. Saved a lot of peoples lives, but what were his options?
The Hudson river was 36 degrees. No passenger jet had ever landed in the water without loss of life. Never.

Options?

1) Attempting to return to LaGuardia or Teterboro. Failing and killing hundreds.

2) Attempt a water landing that have almost ALWAYS resulted in death.

He had 208 seconds to make a decision and execute...perfectly. That included conversations with the tower, attempting to restart engines... all of it.

Heroic? Absolutely.

Last edited by Moses; 10-18-2016 at 08:33 AM..
Old 10-18-2016, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Sorry to get carried away, but another exchange I enjoyed in the movie, was when Sully corrected one of the NTSB members that this was a "water landing...not a crash"! LOL!
Old 10-18-2016, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNS View Post
Like Apollo 13, Hollywood added a bit of drama unfairly to 'The Right Stuff'. Gus Grissom was not shown in the best light when his capsule sank at the end of his flight and the movie portrayed him as "screwing the pooch". Of course Grissom wasn't around to defend himself when the movie came out.

In fact Grissom was highly regarded in the space program and was chosen as commander on the first Gemini flight and commander on the first Apollo flight. You don't get there by screwing the pooch.

When his Liberty Bell 7 capsule was recovered from the Atlantic (long after the movie was released) investigation showed that Grissom was in the clear.

I otherwise love the movie and book...
Islands Grissom, Chaffee, and White in Long Beach harbor.( Apollo one.)
Island Freeman, first astronaut lost on duty (piloting a T-38 Talon jet trainer).

Old 10-18-2016, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Amazing. Go see it. One of the best movies I have ever seen. WOW!
Old 11-03-2016, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

For those of you near Charlotte, the Carolina's Aviation Museum will be showing the movie February 10, 2017 under the wing of the aircraft. Tickets can be purchased on the museum's website.
There's nothing better than: Listening to "Going Down the Road Feeling Bad" ,as I, "Go Down the Road Feeling Bad"
Old 01-22-2017, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Zink Racer

I have a good friend who is a senior Southwest pilot, his fiance is a flight attendant for them. They saw it recently and said it was very well done. Hard for both of them to sit through as a matter of fact.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
likes to left foot brake.

Garage
Great movie and great save landing the plane in the river.

The only negative I heard from other airline pilots was that not all the doors under the airplane were closed for water tight integrity.
When you run the APU does it require a door to be open for exhaust?
Old 01-23-2017, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

I was in New York flying back to Charlotte a couple days later. I always thought the hardest decision would be to make the decision to land in the water.
As a Airbus pilot watching the movie I thought it was very well done. The checklists were spot on. The call outs were well done. Only 3 times could I find that they touched the wrong switch.
Hollywood didn't try add special pilot "terminology" or anything like that. Which Was very refreshing. Maybe the most spot on part was the grouchy flight attendant in the back.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Great thread...loved the movie
Old 01-24-2017, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
likes to left foot brake.

Garage
Ok the one glitch that surprised me was when the radar air traffic controller that was working Sully was relieved by another controller.
When someone takes your place at a control position we have a checklist too.
You don't just pull off your headset and walk away like in the movie. lol
Old 01-24-2017, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

fwiw, it's on Netflix now....just watched it last night.

as others have said; good movie.

As soon as the SHTF (or, birds hit the turbo blades) I think Sully said "My plane" in like a nanosecond
Old 01-24-2017, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: