Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyl View Post
Apparently in real life the NTSB did the simulation both w/ and w/o including reaction time and concluded quickly that Sully did the right thing.

I read that in the movie, the NTSB initially did only the simulation w/o including reaction time, thought that Sully could have made it to an airport, and had to be persuaded to re-do the simulation w/ including reaction time. Thats the dramatic license part.

As I said, it sounds like a terrific movie. But if it does in fact paint the NTSB investigators as villains, that seems to me like another example of trying to over-dramatize everything to get attention. (I havent seen the movie so I am not sure how heavy handed it is.)

Crash Investigators Pan Their Casting as Villains in ‘Sully’ - Bloomberg

Former NTSB investigators have beef with movie "Sully" - CBS News

If I had to point at an example of a movie that dealt with similarly heroic feats without feeling compelled to invent a government bad guy to be the villain, try Memphis Belle. Or Apollo 13.

Movies are fiction. Doesn't matter if they say quote based on true events unquote.
You sound like an air traffic controller! Or are you an NTSB guy?? LOL!

Go see the movie. Keep in mind that in most cases the pilot is guilty until proven innocent and that's what the movie implies as the NTSB suits interrogate Sully and Skiles. Suits always trust the data, the computer, the machine and hate to admit that there is a really good reason they pay pilots as much as they do.

I expect there will be another crap-fest like "Flight" coming out within the next year or two. The suits need the public to go back to thinking airline pilots are drug-using drunken whore-mongers and not real heroes like Sully is.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
From what I heard from the astronauts and engineers that lived Apollo 13, it was mostly an accurate portrayal of the events. The one "liberty" that Ron Howard admits to is the raised voices and arguing on board Apollo 13. He said listening to the audio tapes and and reading the transcripts the astronauts were 100% professionals and kept emotion out of it until the chutes opened.
The last thing you want on any flight deck, from space vehicles down to your rented Cessna 152, is drama. The best training out there tamps-down the drama and focuses on problem solving in a calm, clear-headed manner. If you're a drama queen then flying airplanes is probably not your best choice of careers or of weekend activities. "Pingers" are sent packing early on in military flight training.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE911SC View Post
The last thing you want on any flight deck, from space vehicles down to your rented Cessna 152, is drama. The best training out there tamps-down the drama and focuses on problem solving in a calm, clear-headed manner. If you're a drama queen then flying airplanes is probably not your best choice of careers or of weekend activities. "Pingers" are sent packing early on in military flight training.
I fully understand. My dad was a Air Force pilot.

But imagine the training to be in space hurtling AWAY from earth at 7 miles per second and the space ship is bleeding out power and oxygen. 100% of all airplane and all other types of aircraft return to the ground at some point. The Air Force has never left a single airplane in the sky, the Navy has a lot of ships down below. Apollo 13 was nearly lost to space.

Only a lot of highly trained calm professionals managed to keep them alive.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 09-12-2016, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhynesrockmtn View Post
Most reviews I've read, I have not seen it, mention the inherent lack of dramatic tension given the outcome that everyone knows about. All made it out alive, Sully did a great job.
Spoiler alert!
Old 09-12-2016, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
závodník 'X'

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
From what I heard from the astronauts and engineers that lived Apollo 13, it was mostly an accurate portrayal of the events. The one "liberty" that Ron Howard admits to is the raised voices and arguing on board Apollo 13. He said listening to the audio tapes and and reading the transcripts the astronauts were 100% professionals and kept emotion out of it until the chutes opened.

I watched that documentary. As usual a chalk it up Hollywood but as Ron Howard put it, necessary for the wider audience. I get that reasoning but still is an outstanding film.
“When these fine people came to me with an offer to make four movies for them, I immediately said ‘yes’ for one reason and one reason only… Netflix rhymes with ‘wet chicks,'” Sandler said in a prepared statement. “Let the streaming begin!” - Adam Sandler
Old 09-12-2016, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Information Overloader

I have no problem with a little extra drama if it shines a light on competency and heroism.

I don't like Hanks as a person but he sure can act like a competent hero.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

least common denominator

Saw it last night, great movie!
I also think they had to throw the NTSB stuff in for drama... seeing as most people in the audience know how it ended.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
I hope they throw the real Sully eight hundred squillion dollars.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE911SC View Post
The best training out there tamps-down the drama and focuses on problem solving in a calm, clear-headed manner.
I would be screaming like a little girl under any life threatening duress.

Does owning that make me remotely tough?
Old 09-13-2016, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Saw it and liked it. When I saw Sully was a consultant I decided to see it. Probably would not have otherwise. Without Sullly I would have figured dramatized for your enjoyment.

My point of view, I have been a private pilot since 1978 and flown lots of different types of airplanes. My son is an airline pilot.
Beechcraft V-Tail Bonanza
(Fly'n high and low)
Old 09-13-2016, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bob View Post
Gotta add another one....

don't go to the beach with him either
Old 09-14-2016, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Retired Member

We saw it last night, really enjoyed it.
I read some of the rescuers (ferry boat captain) in the movie were the actual people involved in the rescue.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kontak View Post
I would be screaming like a little girl under any life threatening duress.

Does owning that make me remotely tough?
I'm thinking that too much coffee and posting on the internet makes one ''remotely'' tough. Squealing like a little girl does not, but it's probably too late to edit.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian 162 View Post
We saw it last night, really enjoyed it.
I read some of the rescuers (ferry boat captain) in the movie were the actual people involved in the rescue.
Nice. Looking forward to seeing this.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Just saw it, very good movie. The NTSB-drama (real or exaggerated) adds the tension necessary to make it the movie it is.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Like Apollo 13, Hollywood added a bit of drama unfairly to 'The Right Stuff'. Gus Grissom was not shown in the best light when his capsule sank at the end of his flight and the movie portrayed him as "screwing the pooch". Of course Grissom wasn't around to defend himself when the movie came out.

In fact Grissom was highly regarded in the space program and was chosen as commander on the first Gemini flight and commander on the first Apollo flight. You don't get there by screwing the pooch.

When his Liberty Bell 7 capsule was recovered from the Atlantic (long after the movie was released) investigation showed that Grissom was in the clear.

I otherwise love the movie and book...
Old 10-17-2016, 03:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Information Overloader

I was surprised at the treatment given Grissom in 13, too.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

^^ Do you mean Jack Swigert? Yeah, he wasn't treated exactly fair with the Apollo 13 script (and also conveniently dead when the movie was released).
Old 10-17-2016, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Information Overloader

Oops! My bad.

I screwed up Apollo 13 with The Right Stuff.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2016, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNS View Post
Like Apollo 13, Hollywood added a bit of drama unfairly to 'The Right Stuff'. Gus Grissom was not shown in the best light when his capsule sank at the end of his flight and the movie portrayed him as "screwing the pooch". Of course Grissom wasn't around to defend himself when the movie came out.

In fact Grissom was highly regarded in the space program and was chosen as commander on the first Gemini flight and commander on the first Apollo flight. You don't get there by screwing the pooch.

When his Liberty Bell 7 capsule was recovered from the Atlantic (long after the movie was released) investigation showed that Grissom was in the clear.

I otherwise love the movie and book...
Glad someone pointed this out. Ol' Gus did it right, just like Chuck Yeager (as played by Sam Shepard in TRS) said.

Betty Grissom was none too pleased about that portrayal and when they decided to raise Liberty Bell 7 from the ocean she was very vocal about it and feared the movie's narrative about her husband would be reinforced. Grissom was the real deal and was no crybaby or nervous wreck. He was selected as one of the original seven because he was a highly-skilled pilot and one cool, cool customer. They all were.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: