Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
D troop 3/5 CAV ,162 AHC

I want a Grayhound -Bus

Now that i have sold out and officially retired I want an RV, but not the usual kind.
If you guys see an old ScenicCruiser for sale will you please let me know?
Thanx
LOOKS Like this - below

1954 General Motors GMC PD-4501 Greyhound Scenicruiser | ClassicBusDepot.com

Must be my age, I think they are so KOOL looking !

Last edited by afterburn 549; 10-13-2016 at 07:40 AM..
Old 09-27-2016, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Don't know where you are located, but off HWY 215 near Hemet Ca. there is a couple acres of them on the south side of the HWY.

Cheers,Steve
1966 Bug stock-2004 Toyota Rav4-1989 XJ6 Jag
1975 914, 1965 Norton N15CS 750, 1975 Husqvarna 360 CR GP
Old 09-27-2016, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Very cool. I love these old bus RVs. You missed out on this one. Probably enough half smoked doobies in the sofa cracks to last you a lifetime!

Willie Nelson’s Old Tour Bus Up For Sale on Craigslist | Saving Country Music

G
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Very cool, and would made an awesome high ceiling RV conversion. ...but by the time you drop in a crate motor and trans, redo the drivetrain and cooling system, and build-out the interior into livable space, you'd be well into six-figure$. Look for one already done.

Scenicruising

Look at the last one. The 56. converted and being sold due to death.

Volvo V60 - Daily Driver (I love it!)
997 Turbo - FVD Exhaust, GIAC Tune - 542 dyno hp on 93 oct

Last edited by Craig T; 09-27-2016 at 08:47 AM..
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Those bus conversions are out there, and can be found at surprisingly low buy in price.

I do Know of one here in Prescott area, that the owner was mostly thru doing the conversion on. then had to deal with cancer. he decided to get a new coach and go have fun.
well his bus is sitting at his place waiting for someone to come finish it up. mostly exterior paint he says.

its a standard bus body, not the vista cruiser.

there is a big gathering of bus folks and their rigs at Quartzite Az.each Jan. plenty of for sale signs.

American Eagle is a quality builder of bus like coaches.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

...But the Scenic Cruise is just so cool. No cache' to a standard bus. With the Scenic or Vista, You can gave a 10' ceiling and lots of light coming in from windows too high for people to look in.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
Don't know where you are located, but off HWY 215 near Hemet Ca. there is a couple acres of them on the south side of the HWY.

Cheers,Steve
I have driven past that place many times and have wanted to stop by out of curiosity. I have no need for a bus.

Transit Sales International
Old 09-27-2016, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaBrewer View Post
I have no need for a bus.
Same here. We rented one to see if it was something we might want to do for a years when we retire. With fuel cost, RV park fees, dump fees, maintenance, insurance, and depreciation, it's cheaper to drive a Porsche and stay in five-star hotels along the way (and you have to clean your own room!).

Old 09-27-2016, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

You are absolutely right Craig T. The vista cruisers have the cool factor!

But check out this American Eagle.

Admittedly not the vista cruiser coolness, but really a fine coach.
If you like them that big/ heavy.

Cheers Richard
Old 09-27-2016, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
When you get ready, contact me for a Hybrid Solar Energy system
Old 09-27-2016, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

This one was just on BAT. 1968 Prévost Coach | Bring a Trailer

All good except for the 80s/90s interior.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

If you are serious, you should visit the Greyhound Museum in Hibbing MN and coincide your visit with their annual bus show. Hibbing isn't really near anything and I just happened to be there for a project about 8 years ago which coincided with the meet. The museum itself is interesting, but seeing the private owners displaying their buses as well--everything from fully restored to customized RVs was impressive. All made out of various year Greyhound buses--the Scenicruisers were the most popular.
69 Chevrolet C-20 Longhorn (family heirloom)
76 F150 Bicentennial Edition
Old 09-27-2016, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig T View Post
Same here. We rented one to see if it was something we might want to do for a years when we retire. With fuel cost, RV park fees, dump fees, maintenance, insurance, and depreciation, it's cheaper to drive a Porsche and stay in five-star hotels along the way (and you have to clean your own room!).
Bingo!
Old 09-27-2016, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Paul_Heery Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_Heery
And Scenicruisers are versatile.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig T View Post

Dream of mine is after retirement to pick up 997 and tour the country... we could slum it with three star hotels.

I have driven a few big trucks back in the day and not my idea of fun.

But whatever floats your boat.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

A buddy at work built one. Raised the roof and put in all new windows. Extended the back to store two motorcycles inside and put in a heated floor.

The floor was the most interesting. A poured concrete slab 2" thick with plastic piping inside. Worked off the waste heat from the engine. Thermostatically controlled. He would load the family into the bus and go skiing in the mountains on his days off. The motor would idle heating the bus the whole time.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
D troop 3/5 CAV ,162 AHC

Keep the help coming !
I would like the type that has a window above, in the roof, facing front.
There are two styles, one is a real close to the front, others is set back about 1/2 ways.
Either will work.
I am in the NE sector, so closer to that area would be better, but not a deal breaker if not.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

my dad did that shortly after WW2
his was a city bus converted to a camper/RV
driven to sw Fla and used until a house was built
Old 09-27-2016, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

here is some food for thought. the best rig for you is a personal matter.
how many traveling, what sort of use. do you want to get into parks with smaller sites
( thats most along the coast in Ca). mostly interstate driving vs smaller back roads etc?

Just lately the southward migration is flowing by here in northern Az. lots of big rigs with full sized trucks or jeeps in tow. most of these folks will head to a known spot for the season. and do little cruising with their rigs. most RV parks along the interstates are well set up for the big rigs. little out of the way parks not so much.

my 35"motorhome turns into a big package once inside some parks looking for a spot.

i recently had a visit with the PO of my coach. he was out for the first big trip with his dream rig, a Prevost 43", really a very nice coach. but their trip was not what they had hoped for. Due to the stress of driving and manuvering the big rig.
they had cruised for years in my coach yet the bigger rig was just not comfortable for them. 35' and 16,000 lbs vs 43' and 48,000 lbs quite the difference.
He did say that once on the interstate it felt great. just most everywhere else was stressful. His is an early 2000s model so relatively modern driving qualities.

i too like the old vista cruisers, and admire those that turn them into nice motorhomes.
just want you to be clear about what you may be wishing for.

Cheers Richard
Old 09-27-2016, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Can't seem to post pics from my desktop right now.

Here is a pic of the contrast in size. His Prevost is close to the size of a vista cruiser.

Those big tires are around $1,000 each

If you do head that way I'll be cheering you all the way.

Cheers Richard
Old 09-27-2016, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: