Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Certified User

Garage
New project paint questions

Over the next six months or so, I have a bunch of upgrades in store for my 88 Carrera, one of which is a repaint.
It is currently a crappy metallic brown with a bad case of sunburn (flaky clear coat). I am going to change colour to white.

It will also get a full set of steel 930 bodywork which has been waiting patiently in my attic.
I will be doing all the dismantling, stripping, cutting, flare fitting, filling, priming, undercoat and prep myself and I'll farm out the rear flare welding and final top coat to real experts. I will respray the finish coat in engine bay and all the smaller parts like mirrors, valances, etc.

I have spent quite a few hours browsing the paint forum which gave me some ideas, answered a few questions and raised a few more, but before I launch into this project, Iíd appreciate some tips on the following.

The car has been resprayed at some stage in its life and the clear coat is flaking in some areas. I'm in two minds about going back to bare metal - it seems like a lot of extra work and this is a daily-driver, not a show car.

Q1: Is sanding through the old clear coat and leaving most of the base coat(s) likely to cause problems, especially considering that the current colour is dark and metallic and the new colour will be white?
Any traps to watch out for here?

I donít know which type of paint to use. I do know that I donít want to use a clear coat.
All this reading about acrylic, urethane, lacquer, epoxy, enamel, one or two-pack is doing my head in.

Q2: What is the simplest paint system for a part-time painter like me?
I want to be able to spray new parts or touch-up small areas as and when necessary in my carport. Over the years, I have used different systems and nothing pisses me off more than running out of two-pack paint with only a couple of strokes to go or having too much left over, so rightly or wrongly, I am leaning heavily towards a single pack paint (no hardener), but still open to change.

I'd really appreciate any comments regarding the type of paint rather than brand names. Obviously, the big names in paint are available in Aus, but many of the brand names that roll off your tongues aren't familiar to me.

As well as turbo panels and a paint job, the car will also get its long-awaited 3.6 engine, bigger brakes, wheels and tyres, new suspension and new interior. Better make that a twelve month project!
This is the starting point Ö

Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 08-28-2012, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

ok about question 1 .
were the clear is failing you will also find the base color with be affected also . base color will not in any way hold up to any weather . so this may also lead to the substraight (metal) under the finish to be affected in some way . like small rust spots under the finish . you may not be able to see them untill you sand the finish off the car were the clear is failing . you may want to sandright down to the substraight in a small area about a 1' x 1' size should give you an idea of just what is going on under the finish were the clear is missing .
if it looks ok then just strip off the clear were it is failing and spray a coat of etch or epoxy primer over the bare metal and then use a filler primer over that .

now because your thinking of white you have two ways to go . you can do a single stage finish or a base clear finish .
it would be up to you on what you want to use . on a 1988 car i would pick single stage . now white is a hard color to spray like any light color you can't see at all that good when your spraying it . you have to look at the side when your spraying light colors to see how it's laying down .standing right behind the gun you will not see just how it is laying down and it will run or come out dry .

as for the cars color being dark and you wanting to paint it a light color is no big deal . you should be using a light color sealer 1st before you srpay your top coats of color .

as for a ez product to spray for a new painter . i would go with the limco supreme plus it's a urethane based product that is user friendly . `
Old 08-28-2012, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
Great. Thanks for the tips and info. Time to start shopping for paint.

Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 08-28-2012, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: