Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Jeremy

Garage
SWB inner / outer rocker replacement

HELLO!!

Been a long time (8 years) since I tore the ol girl apart but now that the divorce is almost final HA! I can finally spend some time with my first love again

In the midst of a full resto. Bare tub on a rolling dolly (will post pics asap) and just trying to get my head back into this. I'm sure there is a youtube of this but Id like some input from here on this before I have to undo work.

Old outer rockers and inners are cut off. Jack tubes are out and all new parts are in my shop. Doors are off however. So I guess what I'm asking is where do I start?
Do I need the doors and fenders on to start the rocker replacement?

I should mention that I've been working on these cars since age 14 and my day job is a welder/fabricator. Car is in my shop and I have just about every imaginable tool at my disposal...haha I'm guessing that I just utilize measurement data from Porsche, use my lasers etc. I'm about to machine my spacer shims for door and fender gaps on my Bridgeport mill too.

Would love some input!

Old 01-04-2018, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Jeremy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joscarlang View Post
HELLO!!

Been a long time (8 years) since I tore the ol girl apart but now that the divorce is almost final HA! I can finally spend some time with my first love again

In the midst of a full resto. Bare tub on a rolling dolly (will post pics asap) and just trying to get my head back into this. I'm sure there is a youtube of this but Id like some input from here on this before I have to undo work.

Old outer rockers and inners are cut off. Jack tubes are out and all new parts are in my shop. Doors are off however. So I guess what I'm asking is where do I start?
Do I need the doors and fenders on to start the rocker replacement?

I should mention that I've been working on these cars since age 14 and my day job is a welder/fabricator. Car is in my shop and I have just about every imaginable tool at my disposal...haha I'm guessing that I just utilize measurement data from Porsche, use my lasers etc. I'm about to machine my spacer shims for door and fender gaps on my Bridgeport mill too.

Would love some input!
Here aren't a couple of pictures of what I'm looking at. I'm thinking I send it to you out for media Blast the underside and interior first then weld proof primer and repair rockers?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2018, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

'66 911 Rustoration

Yes, you will want to have your door and fender on, when you fit the rocker panel. Door latching, and the seal installed. (flush check). My fender is not bolted at in this picture....so my gap looks large.
...... You know what they say,
Fit, Measure,
Check everything,
then do that 3 times,
before you start welding.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Jeremy

Garage
I made some progress this week on my 68's inner rocker panels.
I'm about to move on to the outer but during my preliminary fitment I came across something.

Is the outer rocker panel spot welded along the bottom to the inner?

I found some photos online but i cant really tell.
My car is on its second set of outer rockers and I tore them off so long ago i dont remember if they were welded on the bottom or not.

Does anyone have some photos or could someone take a photo of theirs for me?

Thanks!

Last edited by Joscarlang; 11-24-2018 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: Photos uploaded upsidedown
Old 11-24-2018, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Jeremy

Garage
Sorry for some reason the one photo wont rotate...

Old 11-24-2018, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Might be a little late, but here are good Threads.
Restoration of my 69 911
DarrylD's Porsche 912 Project Page - Phase 4: Left Outer Rocker Panel Replacement
Old 01-15-2019, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Jeremy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Sully View Post
Thanks!
I'd seen Darryls but not the other. very helpful!
Old 01-20-2019, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

One of the best longitudinal threads

DDK - Die Deutschen Klassiker • View topic - Replacing 911 sills and Jacking Points

'73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
'78 911SC backdate
Old 03-21-2019, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: