Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Reinstalled my windshield about a month ago with the improved URO version. Fit just fine with no problems.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR711 View Post
Reinstalled my windshield about a month ago with the improved URO version. Fit just fine with no problems.
Nice to see that they got the early 1940's VW-type seal to finally work seventy years later.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Too bad the market is probably too small for Safelite or the such to create a totally new windshield that just glues in like the rest of the modern cars these days. Boy, that would be the cats meow.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCadaddle View Post
Too bad the market is probably too small for Safelite or the such to create a totally new windshield that just glues in like the rest of the modern cars these days. Boy, that would be the cats meow.
They probably wouldn't risk it, an aftermarket company takes on a lot more liability if they change the design from OE, even if the design is flawed (such as these OEM windshield seals).

If someone gets in an accident and sues everyone, the manufacturer of the reproduction part can simply point to the original designer. It's a lot messier if a company creates it's own design, which they'll have to defend in court (even if their part had absolutely nothing to do with the accident) and a non-technical but sympathetic jury could easily vote with their emotions instead of logic.

Last edited by UROParts; 01-18-2019 at 10:48 AM..
Old 10-09-2018, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Burnin' Rubber

Newest Uro windshield seal doesn’t fit very well

I’m hunting for my receipt, I’d like a replacement Uro, what I have is not ok.
----------------------------
Old 10-09-2018, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

Quote:
You can do that with a 993 windshield. Just gotta get the trim pieces as well and you're set.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Burnin' Rubber

Happy to share that the latest new Uro seal for the 911 windshield is excellent. Fits perfectly and has a nice generous surface area to seal things up correctly.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
Can the URO rep on here comment on type of rubber used to make this seal, and it's expected lifespan outdoors in sun and weather. I am very frustrated with modern rubber parts deteriorating quickly compared to vintage parts.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Reiver

Lots of things to go cheap on....windshield and window seals are not them... nor are electrical items.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
Lots of things to go cheap on....windshield and window seals are not them... nor are electrical items.
And the very pricey Porsche original equipment window gaskets fit like crap as well. Especially in the "corners" where they don't cover well and leak like a sieve.
In another thread on this subject a Pelican installed the NEW Uro seal
and had many pictures to verify how much better it fit than even the Porsche seal. It had a wider border and covered much better to the edges. Check the many pictures from that thread.Re-designed New URO Windshield Seal Review
I have a brand new in the bag genuine Porsche front seal waiting for install, but I'll put it to the side and order the URO with it's much more reasonable price. I'll let you know how it turns out.
'71 911T Coupe White, '70 911T Coupe Blue
'68 911 Coupe Orange, '68 911L Soft Window Targa
Old 12-11-2018, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Burnin' Rubber

The latest URO corners smoke OEM. Even my installer was titillated with the install experience. And he’s been at it since 1971 with his glass shop.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
Conventional wisdom I had read was to get the porsche genuine seal. Seems like the recent posts indicate the URO seal for the front window is now a good option.
I currently have all the glass out of my car and will need all new seals. Do the rear window seals from URO work good as well? What about the quarter windows, what is the best seal to use there?
Old 12-11-2018, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Reiver

Interesting..... my issue with Chinese rubber has usually been the early wear out/degrading and the hit/miss from year to year from the same provider.

I've no idea who provides Porsche rubber but the last time I replaced the front window (3years ago) with Porsche rubber it was excellent in fit and still looks new...

All my glass will be out in a month or so …. crapshoot.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
San Diego, CA

Quote:
Good thought but Wouldn’t work. Without a gasket style seal the trim would have to be attached with clips like the American through the 80s.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Reiver

Quote:
Heck, just get lots of glue and have at it...be a trend setter!

P car getting a facelift and a total paint job....so I could use your new found skill set.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
Unfortunately I had a bad experience with the (new) URO seal. Multiple attempts by a local shop with plenty of experience of this job couldn't get the glass and seal to seat correctly. They even tried a different windshield in case it was a tolerance issue on the glass, but no luck. In the end a Porsche seal was ordered and the windshield went in without issue. The fit looks good and no leaks.

The guy doing the install reported that he felt the URO seal wasn't stiff enough for the particular combination of glass and frame in my car. Fortunately for me he stood by his quote of 2 hours labour.

I don't want to criticize the URO seal as my guess is that this was just a particularly unlucky combination of components, and for most applications the URO seal would be fine. I still have the URO seal and would be happy to pass it on to anyone else who wants to give it a try (for the price of postage from Canada).
Old 12-11-2018, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage
Buy both.
Try URO first.
If good, return OEM
If bad, use OEM, return URO.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UROParts View Post
Hi Ed, could be wrong but looks like you have the old version seal. Please PM us a photo of the bag showing the label, if you still have it. We'll figure it out via PM. Perhaps someone returned an old version seal to Pelican and their warehouse staff returned it to stock for resale.

Here are photos of how the corners of the new seals look: Re-designed New URO Windshield Seal Review

Here's a photo showing the outer lip measurement to identify the redesigned version. OEM and our prior version have a lip that's about 8 or 9mm, while our redesigned seal is about 12mm. Also, you can't see it in the photo, but there's another rib hiding next to the inner lip for a total of four ribs, just like OEM. We discontinued the prior version of the seal around February of 2018.

Hey URO team,
Since we are on this topic and I know I need to replace mine due to a leak can we confirm that the updated URO part number is URO-009765?
Old 12-12-2018, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
Interesting..... my issue with Chinese rubber has usually been the early wear out/degrading and the hit/miss from year to year from the same provider.
Yes, it cannot be trusted. If you have ever been to China, and see what industrial waste they use to 'formulate' their rubber pieces, it would shock you. I have seen this first hand. And many of you have experienced the hideous putrid smell of a Chicom rubber piece - because it in fact, is not rubber. It's whatever waste they have left from making toys for Hasbro...serious.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Mine was a factory seal. I paid $$$$ to have it installed by a guy with 20 years of ferrari and porsche experience removing and reinstalling windows.. Apparently all the high end body shops use him.

He really is knowledgeable to point of being able to install targa rear glass ect..

My 930 still had a 1/8 inch gap after his best efforts.

Drove directly to my porsche mechanic. The seal was installed to beyond factory condition!

Apparently the seals fitment is very dependent on the correct alignment of the trim pieces.

Porsche’s of this era are HANDMADE so these kinds of things often require a very knowledgeable and experienced professional to achieve the level of excellence porsche intended.

Last edited by 93097004xx; 12-12-2018 at 11:40 AM..
Old 12-12-2018, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: