Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Reiver

911 sun roof delete report...how is it holding up

My '83 SC/w euro 930-10 will shortly go in for a full repaint....I am deciding what to mod.
It is already not stock...all sound deadening out..no back seats or deck just lightweight perlon...AC out...mirrors gone to Vitaloni's..console etc deleted...lots of little things that added up to some serious weight loss.

Looking at glass front rear bumpers RSR style minus the front intake...I have a Carrera cooler in the front right wing.

Would like to dump the sun roof....weight and simply because it is a half measure anyway.

How have the Brit replacement panels with whatever filler you required held up over the years?
Old 10-20-2018, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
I welded mine in. That was 1984. Still undetectable.

I'm guessing you are asking about the glued in version? IMO if you are going to the length of an entire paint job you may as well have a panel welded in. You already will need a new headliner which will require all the glass out. Then there is the metal work to remove all the bracing and tracks for the sun roof panel.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 10-20-2018, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Reiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
I welded mine in. That was 1984. Still undetectable.

I'm guessing you are asking about the glued in version? IMO if you are going to the length of an entire paint job you may as well have a panel welded in. You already will need a new headliner which will require all the glass out. Then there is the metal work to remove all the bracing and tracks for the sun roof panel.
I need a new headliner anyway...even with a weld job...spot welds...I suspect there is a good amount of filler if using the Chris 7 flanged job...but I suspect when you did yours that was not available so not applicable either.

Don't know which way I'll go...bonding or welding.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Reiver

Anyone here use ToddC's carbon fiber delete panel?
Old 10-20-2018, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
Anyone here use ToddC's carbon fiber delete panel?
I bought it and test fit it

It's nice. I think he closed his business, so you may have to hunt for one now.

It fit really well, but it had a rolled edge, which made it perfect for a track car plug with a roll bar. You could support it from underneath, do a basic finish of the edge of the roof and be done.

Since I was doing a street car, I opted to sell the helion panel and weld in the uk panel. FWIW, I would just take the car to a hot rod metal guy and have them make a plug. It would save time, money and a lot of hassle.

Mine is fresh, so nothing to report except for the fact that I'm ecstatic every time I LOOK at the roofline and every time I SIT inside the car. There is so much more space! I think it's my favorite mod.

Check out my 75 and 77 911S build threads
Old 10-21-2018, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Reiver

Or the Carbon fiber roof skin....that actually looks the easiest if a full paint job is in order...just got your note about Todd being out of business....your 911 look great btw....I know what you mean about the clean roof line...and the overhead inside clean look....the weight is key for me too...every pound gone helps.

Last edited by Reiver; 10-21-2018 at 08:30 AM..
Old 10-21-2018, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: