Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orchard Park NY
Posts: 144
Piston Squirter testing. Confused

Gents. As the title says.


Waynes book says

Insert vinyl hose -one side.
Opposite side Simply insert straw & spray away . Squirters should spray

Now the confusion part.
Several postings here talk about using 40 -50 PSI to the passages
So ????

My 79 911 3.0 Squirts not working

Tks for your time/help
ed
Old 01-27-2019, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orchard Park NY
Posts: 144
Sorry I should have posted this in the engine forum
Old 01-27-2019, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Posts: 594
Garage
instuctions are confused, or hard to relate to. use your intuition
__________________
80SC (ex California) 3.2SS
Old 01-27-2019, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
It's a 914 ...
 
stownsen914's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ossining, NY
Posts: 1,556
i havenít read the book, but Iíve tested squirters . After blocking off the passage as you seem to have done with the fuel hose and getting some fluid in there, you need to apply the 40-50 psi to overcome the opening pressure of the squirters. A rubber tipped air hose attachment does the trick.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Nash County, NC.
Posts: 7,037
Stompski makes a specific tool for piston squirters
Not affiliated, but I have the tool.
Bruce
Old 01-27-2019, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 9,178
Garage
Piston oil squirter tester.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat6pac View Post
Stompski makes a specific tool for piston squirters
Not affiliated, but I have the tool.
Bruce





I have a home made tester but not as elegant and efficient as Steve’s piston oil squirter tester.

Tony

Last edited by boyt911sc; 01-27-2019 at 07:10 PM..
Old 01-27-2019, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orchard Park NY
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by stownsen914 View Post
i haven’t read the book, but I’ve tested squirters . After blocking off the passage as you seem to have done with the fuel hose and getting some fluid in there, you need to apply the 40-50 psi to overcome the opening pressure of the squirters. A rubber tipped air hose attachment does the trick.
Using 40-50 psi...still not getting any spray from the squirts on neither case.
I did spray a bit of soapy water around 1 squirter and I did notice soap bubble at the bore of the squirter..looks like the squirter is not firmly affixed in its bore..but still no action out of the squirter

Could all 6 be bad?

This is a 79k mi engine. No blowups But the case sat around for 7 yrs

Tks for suggestions
ed

Update: 1 just worked .

Last edited by outsider347; 01-29-2019 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 01-29-2019, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
It's a 914 ...
 
stownsen914's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ossining, NY
Posts: 1,556
Squirters can stick, especially after sitting for a while. It's a little odd that all 6 are stuck. Make sure the path of compressed air to each squirter is unobstructed. And try soaking them with some WD40 or PB Blaster overnight if you haven't already done that. Just spray it in the same way it sounds like you have been and leave to soak.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orchard Park NY
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by stownsen914 View Post
Squirters can stick, especially after sitting for a while. It's a little odd that all 6 are stuck. Make sure the path of compressed air to each squirter is unobstructed. And try soaking them with some WD40 or PB Blaster overnight if you haven't already done that. Just spray it in the same way it sounds like you have been and leave to soak.
i got 1 to spray
Old 01-29-2019, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orchard Park NY
Posts: 144
Update.

After wasting a couple of weeks of evenings trying to spray/air many of the standard solvents, seafoam, a water based detergent, I even borrowed a bench top steam cleaner, purchased the Stomski tool, Nothing worked.

I just spent less than a hour to drill/pull all 6 squirters out.
Looking at the condition of the internals...ball, spring & inside of the the cyl, I'm really glad that I pulled them out.

Loctite 640 & 6 new ones on order.

My suggestion to anyone that spends more than a hour trying to get them working...Pull them, order new.
My2c
ed
Old 02-07-2019, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider347 View Post
Update.

After wasting a couple of weeks of evenings trying to spray/air many of the standard solvents, seafoam, a water based detergent, I even borrowed a bench top steam cleaner, purchased the Stomski tool, Nothing worked.

I just spent less than a hour to drill/pull all 6 squirters out.
Looking at the condition of the internals...ball, spring & inside of the the cyl, I'm really glad that I pulled them out.

Loctite 640 & 6 new ones on order.

My suggestion to anyone that spends more than a hour trying to get them working...Pull them, order new.
My2c
ed
Shoulda just used mine. You will hate installing the factory ones......
__________________
Current: 1970 914-6 conversion 2.7, 1973 T, 1975 930 Turbo Targa, 1978 928 Race car, 6.57L, 1983 911SC, 1987 928S4 5 speed, 2002 911 Targa, 2007 997TT, 2009 997TT, 2004 40th Anniversary Carrera, Mclaren 570S and 12C

Only reproduction 3.6 cases on the planet, coming soon www.taorminaracingdesigns.com
Old 02-07-2019, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orchard Park NY
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catorce View Post
Shoulda just used mine. You will hate installing the factory ones......
OK Tell me why?
Old 02-07-2019, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider347 View Post
OK Tell me why?
Easy.

Mine are rebuildable so you will never, ever have to go through the cluster you just went through again. Next time, you'd simply heat the threaded caps to break the loctite seal, then remove the cap, ball, and spring.

You'd do all your cleaning, then replace the ball and spring, then put the caps back on and be 100000000% confident that no metal lived inside the squirter.

Finally, you install mine with a 5/32 drift, and they slide in so easy that a child could do it. With the factory one, you drift it in as well, but if your hit is off center you kink the barrel of the soft aluminum squirter and you're back to square one. Mine are steel.

Oh, and I think mine cost the same as factory ones.

Easier to watch the video here:

PISTON SQUIRTER
__________________
Current: 1970 914-6 conversion 2.7, 1973 T, 1975 930 Turbo Targa, 1978 928 Race car, 6.57L, 1983 911SC, 1987 928S4 5 speed, 2002 911 Targa, 2007 997TT, 2009 997TT, 2004 40th Anniversary Carrera, Mclaren 570S and 12C

Only reproduction 3.6 cases on the planet, coming soon www.taorminaracingdesigns.com
Old 02-07-2019, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orchard Park NY
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catorce View Post
Easy.

Mine are rebuildable so you will never, ever have to go through the cluster you just went through again. Next time, you'd simply heat the threaded caps to break the loctite seal, then remove the cap, ball, and spring.

You'd do all your cleaning, then replace the ball and spring, then put the caps back on and be 100000000% confident that no metal lived inside the squirter.

Finally, you install mine with a 5/32 drift, and they slide in so easy that a child could do it. With the factory one, you drift it in as well, but if your hit is off center you kink the barrel of the soft aluminum squirter and you're back to square one. Mine are steel.

Oh, and I think mine cost the same as factory ones.

Easier to watch the video here:

PISTON SQUIRTER
Yes I agree that you developed a awesome product .
I don't expect to ever have this engine apart again...I know "thats what we all say"

The deciding factor for me was the cost. I pd 39.00 ea original factory part
ed
Old 02-07-2019, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider347 View Post
Yes I agree that you developed a awesome product .
I don't expect to ever have this engine apart again...I know "thats what we all say"

The deciding factor for me was the cost. I pd 39.00 ea original factory part
ed
That's cool, it's a 96 dollar difference between mine and factory, which is really nothing in the grand scheme of a 911 motor.
__________________
Current: 1970 914-6 conversion 2.7, 1973 T, 1975 930 Turbo Targa, 1978 928 Race car, 6.57L, 1983 911SC, 1987 928S4 5 speed, 2002 911 Targa, 2007 997TT, 2009 997TT, 2004 40th Anniversary Carrera, Mclaren 570S and 12C

Only reproduction 3.6 cases on the planet, coming soon www.taorminaracingdesigns.com
Old 02-07-2019, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Orange County, Ca
Posts: 159
seems kind of rude to hammer on the guy after he already bought parts.
I get that you are trying to be helpful it just does not read that way.
__________________
1976 911
1976 914
Old 02-07-2019, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Jonny042's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Thunder Bay, ON/Grand Portage, MN
Posts: 1,894
Garage
website says $45 for the rebuildable ones so that's not that much more than factory.
__________________
87 Coupe - The Driver
78 Backdate - The Project http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/979976-project-heavy-metal-all-steel-classic-remastered.html
85 Coupe - The AX Beater
Old 02-07-2019, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by colingreene View Post
seems kind of rude to hammer on the guy after he already bought parts.
I get that you are trying to be helpful it just does not read that way.
I don't think you get it. I am trying to help him, not sell my parts. I do not make a living from selling my parts, and I have spent 500K of my own money developing the cases, squirters, and oil filter consoles which I market at heavily subsidized rates to help the porsche community.

Friends don't let friends install factory squirters. They are turds, they are built to horrendous tolerances, and at least half of the people that try to install them in their own will bungle the installation.

I am trying to save him some grief.
__________________
Current: 1970 914-6 conversion 2.7, 1973 T, 1975 930 Turbo Targa, 1978 928 Race car, 6.57L, 1983 911SC, 1987 928S4 5 speed, 2002 911 Targa, 2007 997TT, 2009 997TT, 2004 40th Anniversary Carrera, Mclaren 570S and 12C

Only reproduction 3.6 cases on the planet, coming soon www.taorminaracingdesigns.com
Old 02-07-2019, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
website says $45 for the rebuildable ones so that's not that much more than factory.
We raised them to 55.....I guess the web guys haven't caught up....
__________________
Current: 1970 914-6 conversion 2.7, 1973 T, 1975 930 Turbo Targa, 1978 928 Race car, 6.57L, 1983 911SC, 1987 928S4 5 speed, 2002 911 Targa, 2007 997TT, 2009 997TT, 2004 40th Anniversary Carrera, Mclaren 570S and 12C

Only reproduction 3.6 cases on the planet, coming soon www.taorminaracingdesigns.com
Old 02-07-2019, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orchard Park NY
Posts: 144
Squirter install update

Finally go around to the install this evening. I made a brass holder/driver install tool. Went in like butter...easy peasy
Tks to all who responded

Old 02-24-2019, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:00 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.