Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry at Pelican Parts View Post
What are your thoughts on it?

Fantastic "car". But like others, the line drawn in the sand for me is not 2020.. yet.
For others, Porsche hasn't made a real car since the 356 went out of production

And lets be honest, its an entry level 911, not an entry level Porsche. That would be the 50K Macan.. or the $55-65K Cayman/Boxster.. or the $85k Panamera or, a Base 911 at $100K

Oddly, as some have mentioned about how much their "new" 911's cost, I would bet, adjusted for inflation, they cost more than $100k of a true new one.

I hope they sell well.. so I can snag one in 15 years
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 08-22-2019, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Speed Metal Army General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksluna View Post
If I ever get a water-cooled 911, it'll be a 997.2.

I've looked at the 992 many times, but just can't seem to like it. It's huge, the size of a small boat.

I do think the 991.2 are the most beautiful water-cooled porsche though, despite their size, I think they got the dimensions and designs on point.
Id agree with this. I love most of the modern versions, but the 991.2 nails it. The powerplant is pretty OK too
Old 08-22-2019, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

I had the chance earlier this month to drive the 992 4S for almost 2000 kilometers through Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary on a Porsche Driving Experience. The drive was 30% highway and the rest on twisty roads with spirited driving playing follow the leader with a Porsche driver at the front of the pack. My present cars are an '84 Cabriolet, '07 997.1 tt manual, and a 2014 Panamera Turbo, so I was truly looking forward to lots of time in the 992 4S. I was not disappointed. No noticeable turbo lag and the PDK was amazing. In Sport Plus, it was intuitive on the twisty roads. I stopped using the paddles after developing some confidence in what the car could do on its own. We were told to keep the PASM on at all times, and I was driving Porsche's car, so I did not want to test performance without that help anyways. Yes, it is bigger than my '84. Yes it has a dash that looks different than my 997.1. Yes, it is expensive, but the guy who did the math on what his car would cost now new keeps things in perspective. Overall, I found the car to be a wonderful continuation of our beloved 911 experience.
2007 911 Turbo (water and air pumper)
2012 Panamera 4S (for the wife, I swear)
Old 08-23-2019, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
i think they've done a great job on the interior, even if i don't care for infotainment at all.

exterior...hmm, i'm not a fan of widebody's...the 4S models with their red rear reflectors always seemed less pretty than the normal models to me. And this is no exception: i think the rear is the worst part of the car. It's almost a 2-door panamera. The front has a very classic look, which is great, but also the flares make it butch...not subtle anymore.
The whole car becomes almost a parody sketch, with gigantic wheels and knocked out fender flares...it's big and wide which surely compromises it in day to day use.

I guess it's a different car now, for a different world, a different crowd. In my eyes, there is almost no manufacturer building pretty cars nowadays. Everybody is selling badges and trim levels. All is watered down. Same with Porsche and their 'T' models for example.

And it's not that i don't like modern stuff in general. I can't wait for an all electric 911 with 6 tiny electric motors horizontally opposed.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: