Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Administrator

Garage
992's Entry-Level Alternative, the Carrera

DriveTribe just posted an article on the 'entry-level' 992, the Carrera. Priced under 6 figures (I guess that's what an entry level Porsche goes for nowadays?)

"The new Carrera uses the same chassis and drivetrain as the ‘S’, but with 283kW (385 PS; Fuel consumption combined 9.0-9.2 l/100 km; CO2 emissions combined 206-210 g/km) from its twin-turbocharged 3.0-litre flat-six."

"Equipped with the latest eight-speed PDK transmission, it can now accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 4.2 seconds on its way to a top speed of 293 km/h. The optional Sport Chrono Package shaves a further 0.2 seconds off the dash to 100 km/h, making a base 992 Carrera as quick off the line a 997 GT3 RS."

What are your thoughts on it?

Old 07-31-2019, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
coughC8cough :| Love or hate it, it really does put it into perspective.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I saw the new 992 in person last week. Not a bad looking car, but big. And the price is just something that makes me choke up. My old 1985 paid for over 25 years, 911 just gets better and better.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 07-31-2019, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
I saw the new 992 in person last week. Not a bad looking car, but big. And the price is just something that makes me choke up. My old 1985 paid for over 25 years, 911 just gets better and better.
I'm not sold on it - a few people have said it looks great in person and a few have said that it's no longer a 911. I'll check it out at PEC soon.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Coram Deo

Garage
Written by... Mark Webber, corporate PR spokesman.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM View Post
Written by... Mark Webber, corporate PR spokesman.
Correct, but the whole article is specs; not a personal opinion.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

It's the first one of these "new" ones that I like.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
IT'S $100K It better destroy the Corvette in EVERY performance metric on earth. LOL
Old 08-01-2019, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
They have not been 911s nice the 997, or maybe more properly even the 996, in terms of size, nimbleness, etc. When I park even my 996TT at the dealer next to a 991 the 996 looks like a small car. My 89, or 75 look like a scale model in comparison. Cannot imagine what they look like next to one of those beautiful beasts.

They are probably great cars compared to their contemporary peers, but to the older, lighter, more nimble and visceral sports cars of not that long ago......sorry a 911 they are in name only.
2001 996 Turbo - ~42k miles
Old 08-01-2019, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
The way I see it the Jack Olsen has what I would consider the perfect 911.... now I just need a 3.6 Motor market crash.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I agree the car is getting bigger and heavier (but also faster and safer).

Youre saying the 996 was a true 911 and the 911 isnt (too big). But I could say the 3.2 is the last true 911 and the 993 isnt (too big and more modern). Im not necessarily disagreeing with you, Im just saying where you draw that line is arbitrary.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

People have said "the new model is nice, but it's not a 911 anymore" for Every. Single. New. Gen. Wash, repeat.

FWIW, the sticker on my 1984 Carrera inflation adjusted to 2019 dollars is $92,500. So the price of a 911 hasn't gone up much, but the performance sure has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
IT'S $100K It better destroy the Corvette in EVERY performance metric on earth. LOL
Lol try again, Corvette is the performance metric per dollar king, and has been since the C5. The C8 moving to MR layout will keep this cemented for the future. Of course C8 price is moving too - that $60k number you see thrown around is for a model nobody will really want, it'll be ~$70k for most cars with the essential options like the z51 pack.

That said, you don't buy a Porsche based on metrics the same way you don't choose a meal based on calorie count per dollar.

I have been disappointed with some of the early track reviews of the 992. Seems like the car is fast, but not engaging. The fact that the whiz-bang new tech is a sensor to turn on all the nannies to max if the car senses it's raining tells you where Porsche is going. I have some faith the GT models will be on point. Doesn't matter, I can't afford any of them.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Driven97

"I have been disappointed with some of the early track reviews of the 992. Seems like the car is fast, but not engaging. The fact that the whiz-bang new tech is a sensor to turn on all the nannies to max if the car senses it's raining tells you where Porsche is going. I have some faith the GT models will be on point. Doesn't matter, I can't afford any of them."

I like this comment for several reasons......I can't afford any of them either. I've been swayed by the looks and the interior of the 2013 991.1. In a year or two a 2013 might be a used possibility for me?

However you couple all the electronic Zoom-Zooms and Wham-Wham's with an aging car it becomes a nightmare to maintain. I just read an Excellence article that said that the entire bumper and azz end of the modern turbo has to be removed to change the oil and plugs?

Porsche is becoming a company that I can no longer identify with. I love how engaging and easy to work on my '84 Carrera is.....plus it's paid for.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed"

Silver 1984 M491 Sunroof Coupe
Old 08-21-2019, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

If I ever get a water-cooled 911, it'll be a 997.2.

I've looked at the 992 many times, but just can't seem to like it. It's huge, the size of a small boat.

I do think the 991.2 are the most beautiful water-cooled porsche though, despite their size, I think they got the dimensions and designs on point.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
What the ?

Garage
I would if I could. It will be nothing like my SC but it was cutting edge in 1980 this is cutting edge in 2019 I'm in.
9/11/01 FDNY/343 Never Forget!
Old 08-21-2019, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
You guys...same ole same ole.

Nothing is the same as it was, especially cars. Most any modern econobox will beat most any air cooled 911 these days at almost everything, with A/C that works and blows ice cold to boot! Who cares?

If you want the fastest zero to 60 or the best track car, buy a modern car. Nobody who drives an air cooled 911 is driving it because it's the fastest car out there, or the best at the track. To compare the two is apples to oranges, at best. More like apples to watermelons, size wise.

I thought Porsche lost their way when they started trying to assuage the patent leather crowd in the 80's, when they were on the heels of their a$$ and trying to get the SL crowd to buy a 911. They loaded them up with all sorts of gadgets and luxury items just to make some sales. They never looked back but they also got big...really big.

A car company can't sit on their laurels. They have to move with the times. I like the old cars because they're fun to drive. Slow car fast and all that stuff. The new cars are just too fast for the street for me. I can have fun at 50MPH. I don't need to be doing 90.
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 08-21-2019, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
I wanna see one with manual transmission. I keep checking online and still have not

Don’t like digital gauges but I could change my mind in person

Don’t want a car if I can’t see the engine.

Otherwise I like it inside and out and every video I’ve watched are positive regarding performance

No matter how great the new corvette is, i could never own that rear end. It disgusts me and the low price wont convince me the ass isnt too ugly to look at

If I had the cash I could be tempted to buy the 992
Old 08-21-2019, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

991 was bigger than 997, but actually lighter like spec for like spec. 991.2 with turbos is heavier than 991.1 and 992 is heavier still even though it uses more aluminium. Porsche knows the market for a “puristic” — whatever that word really means — car is there thanks to the 991.2 911 Carrera T kool-aid drinkers and staggering number of 991 GT3 car sales. Part of this is the fault of regulation which has driven turbos and 8 speed PDK and safety weight and tech, but a lot of it is the tech/convenience/automation/infotainment war which every manufacturer is trying to win and which Porsche has historically been far behind.

I want to see what the 992 GT cars look like, but I have no interest in the normal 992, especially with a PDK.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I've only heard that the manual is coming "later," I haven't heard if it's a later model year or not.

The 911R madness gave us the GT3 manual back (and the GT3 Touring.) Porsche will keep us 3 pedal fans happy as long as they can make money on it. We'll probably have to wait for the Carrera T to get the "entry" 992 we're interested in, though.

FWIW, I'm surprised how interested I am in the Taycan. Seeing a few Teslas firsthand have proven to me that electric cars can be very, very exciting, can't wait to see what an experienced manufacturer can do with a performance electric.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven97 View Post
I've only heard that the manual is coming "later," I haven't heard if it's a later model year or not.

The 911R madness gave us the GT3 manual back (and the GT3 Touring.) Porsche will keep us 3 pedal fans happy as long as they can make money on it. We'll probably have to wait for the Carrera T to get the "entry" 992 we're interested in, though.

FWIW, I'm surprised how interested I am in the Taycan. Seeing a few Teslas firsthand have proven to me that electric cars can be very, very exciting, can't wait to see what an experienced manufacturer can do with a performance electric.

I'm also very much looking forward to seeing and hearing about some first hand experience with the Taycan. There were a couple driving around Monterey last week and they look incredible.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: